Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cris

help

Cris

Hello to all. My daughter was recently diagnosed with the IDDM(type 1). She just turned 3 in March. She was diagnosed in February three months after receiving the flu vaccine. Coincidentally on the very day she was administered the vaccine (10/30/2012), she was administered a urinalysis and it was normal. A few weeks after that she started complaining of back/side pain. A few more weeks later she could not stop drinking water. A few more weeks later (02/12/2013) she was diagnosed. We have no family history of IDDM in our family, and therefore I am very suspicious of the flu vaccine connection.

So, I am asking for help to compare notes with other parents that have no family history of IDDM. If you would like to help me out (and the more the better!) then please make sure you have a copy of your child's immunization schedule since birth, because we need to be precise. Please no guessing.

First question: Did your child receive any flu vaccinations during the first 3 years of their life? My daughter recieved four by the time she was 24 months, 18 days. Here is her exact schedule for flu vaccines.

Birthday: 03/22/10

1st dose: 09/27/10

2nd dose: 10/29/10

3rd dose: 10/30/12 (live virus/flumist)

Thanks in advance!!

Cris

Cris
Hello to all. My daughter was recently diagnosed with the IDDM(type 1). She just turned 3 in March. She was diagnosed in February three months after receiving the flu vaccine. Coincidentally on the very day she was administered the vaccine (10/30/2012), she was administered a urinalysis and it was normal. A few weeks after that she started complaining of back/side pain. A few more weeks later she could not stop drinking water. A few more weeks later (02/12/2013) she was diagnosed. We have no family history of IDDM in our family, and therefore I am very suspicious of the flu vaccine connection.

So, I am asking for help to compare notes with other parents that have no family history of IDDM. If you would like to help me out (and the more the better!) then please make sure you have a copy of your child's immunization schedule since birth, because we need to be precise. Please no guessing.

First question: Did your child receive any flu vaccinations during the first 3 years of their life? My daughter recieved four by the time she was 24 months, 18 days. Here is her exact schedule for flu vaccines.

3rd dose: 10/30/12 (live virus/flumist)

Thanks in advance!!

Cris

Whooooops. Left one out. So much for precision! lol

3rd dose: 09/23/11

4th dose: 10/30/12 (live virus/FluMist LAIV)

Ginger9909

Im a bit late to this conversation and don't have shot records on me but my daughter had two doses of flu vaccine I think within a month of each other like you and weeks later her symptoms started. I really believe these vaccines had something to do with her getting type 1.

mom24grlz

Ashleigh has never recieved the flu vaccination in her life. She was dx with type 1 at the age of 11.

xMenace

Stop trying to blame diabetes or anything else on vaccinations without some scientific evidence. What you believe is irrelevant and probably dangerous to other less intelligent readers.

VegMom

Hi,

What does your child's endocrinologist think? They would be the best person to ask about this. They probably see many, many Type 1 diabetic kids and maybe your questions would cause them to review the records of their other patients. I commend you for trying to find answers for your child's condition. It must be scary and confusing.

I am a pediatric nurse. I cannot give any useful info here pertaining to your daughter's case. I have only rarely had Type 1 diabetic patients (it is not my specialty). However I have worked with hundreds of children who have received the live flu vaccine. I have only seen one who had an adverse side effect. It was a known rare adverse effect and it was not related to diabetes. I have also treated many, many children who have gotten seriously ill-- some put on heart/lung bypass machines- because they came down with influenza and it overwhelmed them. I have also treated countless pertussis babies (another illness that is prevented by vaccines). Vaccines are not without risk, but the greater risk for the general population is not getting vaccinated.

I wish you luck and success as you search for answers. Until you get the answers you are looking for I would encourage you to follow the advice of your daughter's doctors about whether or not to receive scheduled vaccines.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.