Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaitE

higher bgs at 6-7weeks

CaitE

hi.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced spikes in bgs after they eat during early pregnancy. my sugars have been spiking to 12-13 mmol/l after breakfast the last few days and I am starting to worry about this. I test about 15 - 20 times a day and catch the levels but it still concerns me. can anyone let me know that this will be okay...it is so frustrating.

thanks...

Lauren

I have the exact same problem. My after breakfast counts have sometimes gone up to 16. I found the only way to try and counteract that was to cut out carbs at breakfast completely (I know it's hard in 1st trimester because carbs help with nausea, but do try it.) I am now 26 weeks and it still happens some days. What I do now is I have a protein shake as soon as I wake up, with my normal dose of insulin and then I find that I can have a brunch two or three hours later with carbs, also having to inject again, but without causing any spikes. My a1c at the end of my first trimester was 7.4 because of all these spikes, but so far my baby girl is doing great.

Also, test two hours after a meal and then again 45 minutes to an hour later. If after 3 hours your sugar is still high, consider increasing your bolus insulin with breakfast. If it's normal, don't increase otherwise you could hypo - I made that mistake a lot in the beginning.

I hope this helps!

Lauren

CaitE

My last A1C from a week ago was 6.2 which I was fairly pleased with. But my sugars are just super unpredictable this week...taking hours to come down from 9-10 mmol/L. I feel like everyday I have readings out of range but nothing over 13. I know my doctor says it is the sustained highs that is the problem but I can't help but think I am not doing enough or eating the wrong things and this is all causing harm. How perfect do readings need to be and should I freak out if the next A1C slides up a bit? it is so hard to not worry and im only 7 weeks in.

Kathryn10

During the first trimester I had a lot of lows, but some weird periods of highs. It's not worth it to stress out about it, because stress drives your bgs up too. Are you logging your bgs, insulin dosage and what you eat? That's helped me tremendously. I'm about 25 weeks now and my a1c since the beginning of pregnancy has been 5.2. I've definitely upped my carb intake (I actually just finished a bowl of ice cream....) but I know how certain foods affect my bg, and know when new patterns are starting. You will have frustrating times where your bgs won't be where you want them, and all you can do is be as prepared as possible. There are a lot of women out there who have a1cs much higher than yours and mine, and their babies are healthy. It's all about doing the best you can.

kiranchandra

How perfect do readings need to be and should I freak out if the next A1C slides up a bit? it is so hard to not worry and im only 7 weeks in.

type1inflorida

I read that in the 8-9 week the baby starts forming it's own endocrine system. I don't know if this might have anything to do with the high sugars but an increase in those hormones would make sense. I also saw a dramatic spike in sugars starting around this time. I'm 9 weeks right now and it seems as if it's taking 2-3 hours for my insulin to register. This has caused me to over bolus and then dramatically drop several hours later. It's very frustrating, but like the other posters said, all you can do is track your sugars, eating habits etc and adjust to the best of your ability. Don't stress out about the little details because it will be worse for you and the baby. You are doing just fine!

k_dub

I'm now at 7 weeks and definitely having some insulin resistance. I'm using about 10 units more of insulin per day than normal. I do not seem to handle carbs well - spiking and then taking awhile to bring it down. I've increased my basal rates, which have helped. I have had lows over the last two nights because I stacked my doses. I normally have good control without a lot of variability of highs and lows (pre-pregnancy). I figure that hormones are driving this. I've been told to expect lows at 10 weeks. Of course I'd like to get my insulin sensitivity back, but I figure that there is not much I can do except check BG frequently (I'm also on Dexcom, but I'm finding that I need to fingerstick to double check values) and correct as I can. It is frustrating, but I figure that there are too many variables to control for in this situation. Like Kathryn said above, we just have to do our best. I'm waiting to hear back from the MFM office about my first prenatal visit. The MFM I'm seeing is a diabetologist and specializes in T1 pregnancies. I'm looking forward to learning any tips from her.

PlumBaby

I am currently 13 weeks and my BS were very high at the beginning but have started to get better. I do hit the 200's every now and then and YES, it's scary, but all we can do is go for a walk and take a little extra insulin and wait patiently. Try not to stress. I'm sure your baby's fine.

k_dub
I am currently 13 weeks and my BS were very high at the beginning but have started to get better. I do hit the 200's every now and then and YES, it's scary, but all we can do is go for a walk and take a little extra insulin and wait patiently. Try not to stress. I'm sure your baby's fine.

Good to hear that my BG may get better later.

I have my first prenatal diabetes visit with CDE next week.

Lizzie G

this pregnancy i initially found more difficult than my last due to these spikes, but just dont be afraid to make the changes you need; my TDD is currently around 80 units (pre pregnancy it was about 50) at 6 weeks and finally avoiding these crazy spikes and eating normally. if you pump it can be very helpful to have a slightly too high basal running around breakfast time; i find this makes it a lot easier to get a decent balanced meal in without spiking. you are always going to have SOME bad moments but as i am remembering from last time, mostly they can be avoided; its not that you cant tolerate carbs, sometimes you just need about 3 times as much insulin as you are used to and this is quite difficult to get your head around! definitely last time my motto was always to be aggressive with insulin and keep a supply of snacks handy in case you plummet; 9 times out of 10 i found i avoided spikes and never needed the snacks (but ate them anyway LOL!)

k_dub
this pregnancy i initially found more difficult than my last due to these spikes, but just dont be afraid to make the changes you need; my TDD is currently around 80 units (pre pregnancy it was about 50) at 6 weeks and finally avoiding these crazy spikes and eating normally. if you pump it can be very helpful to have a slightly too high basal running around breakfast time; i find this makes it a lot easier to get a decent balanced meal in without spiking. you are always going to have SOME bad moments but as i am remembering from last time, mostly they can be avoided; its not that you cant tolerate carbs, sometimes you just need about 3 times as much insulin as you are used to and this is quite difficult to get your head around! definitely last time my motto was always to be aggressive with insulin and keep a supply of snacks handy in case you plummet; 9 times out of 10 i found i avoided spikes and never needed the snacks (but ate them anyway LOL!)

I'm at week 8 today. My TDD is 20-30 units higher now than it was pre-pregnancy. My TDD before pregnancy was 40-50 units per day depending on the # of carbs I ate. I'm consistently at 65-80 units per day now. I've literally had to double my hourly rate from about 9am-3pm. And I swear I feel like I'm taking 1 unit per 2g carbs. I haven't been keeping a good log. That's my goal this week so MFM and endo can help me smooth things out.

Jennybella

I'm glad that your blood glucose is under such great control. You take the time to post this. What is your motivation? Women are on here because they are concerned and looking for answers, not to be called ignorant. My last A1c was 7. Previously before I started on my omnipod pump it was 6.7. The doc gave me the ok to try to conceive. I knew I would want to get my bg lower first. It takes so **** long for these guys to start you on a pump It's like pulling teeth. So I had my bg at an average of 114 just before I started my pump. We started trying. I got my pump and the doctors told me to stop exercising, which completely messed up my routine, while they helped me get my basal rates set right. I was really stressed out about this as this was the first time my blood glucose had gone that high, that much for some time. They said not to correct so much as this would make it hard to adjust my basal rates correctly. So after 9 days of TTC we stopped trying because my blood glucose was just too erratic for me. Apparently 9 days of having my IUD removed was enough to get pregnant. My bg has been better since I found out but still not perfect. I've gone to a diabetes and pregnancy specialty program at the hospital in Seattle. They are very knowledgable. It's so hard sometimes. I'm just rambling now. it's after midnight here. Good night.

k_dub

So when I went to the MFM clinic last week, the CDE told me that she often hears that Type 1 women have increased insulin resistance during weeks 5-7. She said that although she hears about this frequently, there is little literature written about this.

I am now 9 1/2 weeks. At the beginning of week 8, my insulin sensitivity came back. I haven't had many lows except when I was over-aggressive with a meal or correction bolus. It's nice to be taking a somewhat normal about of insulin again. I'm being told I have a few more weeks of insulin sensitivity before the IR starts increasing again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.