Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lordie

metformin and wine

lordie

I'm on a new trial of metformin and up to maximum dose, 5 x500 mg/day. I have a planned cheat coming up; I am meeting my daughter in Manhattan for a mom's day meal and would like to include wine. Have you done that while on metformin without any ill effects?

Caravaggio

I am on met and drink regularly. No I'll effects on me. But everyone is different. If you are not used to drinking, then drinking itself may be a problem so limit your drinks.

Can you experiment before you go? Good excuse to drink.

If you don't have the time, remember:

1. drink slowly

2. don't drink a lot

3. don't drink on an empty stomach

4. drink lots of water

5. enjoy

Cormac_Doyle

Auto-correct on the iPhone comes up with some bizarre recommendations. I really wish it would just suggest rather than replacing the word without warning you!

jwags

I take 2550 of metformin and drink a glass of red wine most nights. Just make sure you drink it at a meal with a small amount of carbs. Once I was at a party and drank a few glasses without a meal and my bg fell to 63. I asked my doctor and ne felt it was OK. I don't take my metformin until bedtime and innthe early morning, so I never drink at the same time I take the metformin.

moneymeister

It seems to intensify the alcohol for me, but the "buzz" lasts 15 minutes or so and wears off. I am on met only and it seems to drop my sugar slightly...but no lows to date. I am fine as long as I stick to one glass with dinner, I have had two, but I get a little too buzzed. On an empty stomach and it hits too hard.

Maggiegong

No worse effects than drinking too much at any time. Seems to intensify the impact of Met though and push my blood sugar down but not too low. If you're prone to lows though I'd suggest caution.

jims_forum
No worse effects than drinking too much at any time. Seems to intensify the impact of Met though and push my blood sugar down but not too low. If you're prone to lows though I'd suggest caution.

My experience tends to highlight some actions:

a) small amount of wines do not seem to be as dramatic and yes increases low as liver processes booze on high priority.

B) hard liquor seems to have a more dramatic effect: yes it can cause serious lows but also cause serious highs as it overrides the metformin in its roll to stop liver leakage.

I found the best strategy to drink hard booze when metformin not up to stregnth in blood after pill ingestion.

One man's view!

lordie

It's really nice to know I can add a little wine to my plan at least for special occasions. Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.