Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrooklynTA

24 Weeks Pregnant - Type 1 - And BLOGGING!

BrooklynTA

I just wanted to share my experiences with you - I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby (it's a boy!) and I've had Type 1 since I was 5-years old (that's 22 years!). Up until this year, my control was never too great - my A1C rarely hit the 7's - so getting pregnant was definitely a big life change. About a year ago, I started using the Metronic CGM and IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. As soon as I started using it, my A1C started slowly dropping, and for the past 5-months, I've been settled at 5.2. The CGM is painful to insert, and sometimes difficult to calibrate, but the trouble is totally worth it.

Other details my (awesome) doctors didn't warn me about are the VERY low-lows. I think because I'm so obsessed with keeping to a very specific range, I often fall below that into too-low territory. It even ended with my husband calling the paramedics one evening :(

ALSO, be prepared for A LOT of doctor appointments. I literally see an Endocrinologist, a Diabetes RN (to help with my diet), an Opthomologist, two OB's (one regular and one high risk), a Cardiologist, a Pediatric Cardiologist (they ran a fetal echocardiogram around Week 18 to check if Baby's heart was up to par), and most recently a Hematologist.

I've been keeping a blog of my experience being pregnant with Type 1 and thought maybe it would help anyone else out there who already is or is thinking about becoming pregnant. The link is: Type 1 Diabetes | Littlest A

If I can do it, you can do it!!!

Stsmith78

Thanks for posting this. I've been Type 1 for 20 years and am now 35 and trying to get pregnant for the first time. My doctor suggested I get a pump and CGM. I tried the pump for about 6 months last year and it was too stressful for me. My last A1C was 6.9 and I am totally willing to start on the GCM. I am definitely going to check out your blog!

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.