Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobLisa

Terrified!!!!

RobLisa

My name is Lisa and my husband and I are having a baby.... we hope! I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and as far as the dr's tell me so far so good. This is my first pregnancy, 31 years old, have been a T1D for 21 years, and as many people we were told from the time we were little it would be very hard to get pregnant...carry the baby full term..."keep" the baby and if I was lucky enough to be able to overcome all of these obstacles, the baby would be HUGE! I am petrified!!! I know many things have changed since I heard these horror stories, and I also know that I would know that I would know if I was miscarrying due to cramps and bleeding, of which I have none... but I am terrified that one day the babys heart will just stop beating and I will not know till my next appointment. All I have ever wanted to be is a mother, and although I have a fantastic support system, not many people understand these fears being a T1D.

My A1C was a 7.2 in March and I have gotten it down to 6.7. I feel happier and healthier than I did before I was pregnant and my sugars and A1C are better than they have been in the 20+ years I have been diabetic. I think im just paranoid

Thank you for listening and if anyone can help I would be so grateful for any help

patricia52

My daughter- in-law is a T1. Diagnoised over 15 years ago. She just had her second healthy, normal size baby. You and the baby should be fine.

rubidoux

I agree, you're gonna do great! And huge congrats on your pregnancy!

During my first pregnancy (not sure why this was less true the second time around) I had myself convinced between every OB visit that I was going to find out the worst every time I went in. I was really happy to have all of the extra appointments and ultrasounds, bc otherwise I would have been convinced that the baby was no longer with us. It was kind of a roller coaster. But, it did get a lot better after I could feel him moving around -- which is so sweet, btw!

You'll do great! Try to enjoy it! :)

Steal

I was always told the same thing growing up and always thought I would have to adopt. It was not until I was in college that I was told that I was given misinformation and that we have learned a lot since then.

I have two perfect little girls. They are almost 2 and 3 and all went well. I was induced and had them at 37.5 and 38.5 weeks. You will find that everyone on here has a different stories/recommendations about timing and delivery and your doctors will have their own opinions. I would just say, you will get there once you are pregnant.

The best you can do for yourself and future little one is continue to work on your A1C and being as happy and healthy as possible.

Good luck to you.

pat593

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancies and had a very healthy son. Just monitor, stay healthy and trust your body. Congrats and the fear is normal. Trust your team and how exciting. Let us know when you feel that first kick.

izzy

Lisa, I think it would be a fun thing to buy a stethescope and listen to what is going on in there---maybe even hear hiccups.....

My grandaughter, with ges. diabetes had a 10-lb bb by c-section--I think it was full term, and all went well. The mother almost immediately went back to being non-diabetic. She is a very large (250+) woman.

dawnurse

Lisa, I think we should be friends. Your story sounds very close to mine. I've been diabetic 19 years. I'm 30 years old. I'm 8 weeks pregnant. My A1c was 7.2 in March and was 6.4 a couple weeks ago. I'm also terrified! My doctors have all assured me that my numbers and the baby are looking good so far. I had about 3 weeks of AWESOME blood sugars - the best ever in my life. This is also the best A1c I have ever had. But the last week or two has been an absolute roller coaster. I'm low. I'm high. I'm never just normal. And I'm high a lot and i'm terrified that i'm destroying the baby. Then I'm super low and I feel miserable because I get bad headaches or I'm too nauseous to eat. Ugh! I just joined this forum because I need someone who understands what I'm going thru as a pregnant diabetic. I have a couple friends who are pregnant now but they can't relate at all to what I'm going through.

Stsmith78

Hi Dawn,

My husband and I currently are trying to get pregnant. I'm 35 and have had Type 1 for 20 years. My doctor suggested I go back on the pump (which was super stressful for me) and use the CGM (which I definitely want to start using). My last A1C was 6.9. I experience all the same frustrating ups and downs and am curious about my reaction to all that once i am pregnant! Do you use a pump?

JanelAmber

As I read broth of your stories I felt like I was reading my own. I am 30 years old, and 14 weeks along with my first baby. I have had 2 ultrasounds so far, which has helped me feel like it really is going to be ok, but the fear just doesn't seem to go away completely. I have had diabetes for 23 years, and have had my ups and downs throughout the years. I am on a pump and CGM, which I constantly check. I love that I can see when my sugar starts to climb, but get frustrated that I can't get it to go down quicker.

lilyrose24

Lisa,

You will do great! Try to enjoy your pregnancy! I know it is stressful, trust me. I worried almost EVERY day. I have been Type 1 for 17 years and I had my first baby 4 months ago. I think doctors try and scare us more than they need to. I also made the mistake of looking up "Type 1 Diabetes & pregnancy" on the Internet! Bad idea! I just ended up in tears. As long as you do the best you can to take care of yourself you will be okay. I was induced at 37 weeks because I was having a LOT of hypos all of a sudden and it was hard for me to keep my bg up. My doctor thought it was best to induce. My son was not big, in fact he was pretty small! He was only 6lb 4oz. His blood sugar was 77 when he was born and he had no problems! He still doesn't. He's perfectly healthy! :) don't think that you can't do it, because you can. I never thought I could have kids growing up and now I know it's possible. My A1c was 7.7% when I got pregnant and I quickly got it down to 5.7%! The lowest it has been since I was diagnosed. Good luck, and I'm sure you and your baby will be fine! :)

Jillian

Hi lilyrose,

I'm also type 1 and hoping to get pregnant this year and my last A1c was 6.9. Can you share what changes you made to get your levels down so well?

Spankey

Long time no posting here. I saw this thread and just wanted to say good luck and relax. My wife is Type 1 and we had an amazing boy 2.5 years ago. She was also 41 at the time of delivery and we got pregnant through IVF.

My only word of advice. Work hard, and engage your partners as this is definitely a two person job. For 9 months we checked blood sugar every two hours and that was through the night as well. Get a sensor on your pumps if possible. It was a lot of hard work, but I would do it all over again without hesitation. Manage the highs as best you can, work with your doctors as insulin amounts may rise and fall and just get to the extreme highs and lows as soon as you can. We made it to 37 weeks before it was time for him to come out.

It can be done. There may be some sad times along the way for some but never give up.

lilyrose24

Jillian,

I checked my BS a lot, to the point that my Dr said I was overdoing it. Haha. But it's my baby and my body so I wanted to do everything I could. I tried to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch, (with a few variations of course!) because I knew how they would affect my BS. It got pretty boring toward the end eating the same things but it helped me with my sugars. I switched it up more for dinner. I also woke up a couple times during the night to test and make sure my BS wasn't too high or low. I would bolus if needed. It's hard work because your insulin requirements are constantly changing during pregnancy! It's hard work, but it can be done! :) My best friend was pregnant at the same time as me and I felt myself get jealous of how easy her pregnancy was compared to mine, but in the end I was proud of my hard work and healthy baby! Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

PlumBaby
Hidden

I think I just sent you a friend request in the December 2013 Club Baby Center Forum. I am 14 weeks pregnant and like you, try to keep very tight control, but those highs keep surprising me. How far along are you?

PlumBaby
Lisa, I think we should be friends. Your story sounds very close to mine. I've been diabetic 19 years. I'm 30 years old. I'm 8 weeks pregnant. My A1c was 7.2 in March and was 6.4 a couple weeks ago. I'm also terrified! My doctors have all assured me that my numbers and the baby are looking good so far. I had about 3 weeks of AWESOME blood sugars - the best ever in my life. This is also the best A1c I have ever had. But the last week or two has been an absolute roller coaster. I'm low. I'm high. I'm never just normal. And I'm high a lot and i'm terrified that i'm destroying the baby. Then I'm super low and I feel miserable because I get bad headaches or I'm too nauseous to eat. Ugh! I just joined this forum because I need someone who understands what I'm going thru as a pregnant diabetic. I have a couple friends who are pregnant now but they can't relate at all to what I'm going through.

I think I just sent you a friend request in the December 2013 Club Baby Center Forum. I am 14 weeks pregnant and like you, try to keep very tight control, but those highs keep surprising me. How far along are you?

Jennybella

The doctor I spoke with tells women that he doesn't care what you eat. It could be cornstarch and roadkill for all he cares as long as you eat the same amount at the same time everyday. Consistency is key. The less variables the better right? :) For your blood sugars anyway. He also said that if you exercise to try to do it at the same time and for the same amount of time 7 days/week. I'm just happy to see someone post how this has helped them. You eat like I eat.

JodiL

Lisa and Dawn, I think we should all be friends! You both sound like me! I have been a Type 1 for 17 yrs and am 29 years old. also just found out I am 6 weeks preganant and am constantly worried that I am hurting my baby everytime I have an occasional high. My bloods were at 7.3 last time at endo and he was happy. I does feel like a rollercoaster, one that I feel makes you feel completely powerless. Its great to know there are other women in the same boat.

Best of luck!

Jodi

Phoenix

sending love to pregnant women with diabetes. {{hugs}} pregnancy is scary for non-diabetics, so it's even scarier for you. please remember that the worst case scenario rarely happens. doctors have to give you the warnings about worst case - but the odds are always better than that.

remember that when you're happy, your little one is happy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.