Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chaseg08

Almost back at pre-T1 weight (but much stonger)!

Chaseg08

When I was DX'd in November of 2010, I had lost a ton of weight and was down to 170 lbs. I looked like my biological father did when he was on chemo just before he passed. It's taken me two and a half years to safely get back to this weight. During my gym session this morning I decided to hop on the scale. I don't check very often because it just doesn't interest me that much but I was feeling extraordinarily great and proud of my lifting " feats" so I said why not. I hopped on and was right at 208.

I was hit on my motorcycle in May of 2008 and had a pretty nasty leg break (the photos are in my album) and then my pancreas slowly started to malfunction. I ran a 21 minute 5k less than a year after my leg break but I hadn't really gotten back to my full-stregth, normal, healthy-feeling self until now. So yeah, it's been 5 years since I've felt this good. Just thought I'd share. I did a full leg workout today and here are a couple lifts that I'm pretty proud of. No record breakers but it's a lot for me.

My third set of squats this morning consisted of 6 reps with 385 lbs.

My final (I think 5th) set of leg press consisted of 8 reps with 675 lbs.

I don't max out because I feel it's not safe for me to do. I have a lower back issue that likes to rear it's head from time to time and I prefer to err on the side of safety.

Hooterville

Nice, Chase. Regaining health is a great thing. :)

I can't even wrap my brain around 675 on the leg press. I do 160, haha. :T

Chaseg08

Yeah, many people don't understand what it's like to go from very healthy, to horribly injured, to dealing with an auto-immune disease, back to healthy again. Ha ha.

My wife sarcastically says I have an unfair advantage when lifting because of all the harware in my leg. 160 may not seem like much but what matters is what works for you. Judging by the amount of weight you have lost, you're doing an incredible job. You and I have different goals for sure! Keep up your hard work.

Hooterville
Yeah, many people don't understand what it's like to go from very healthy, to horribly injured, to dealing with an auto-immune disease, back to healthy again. Ha ha.

My wife sarcastically says I have an unfair advantage when lifting because of all the harware in my leg. 160 may not seem like much but what matters is what works for you. Judging by the amount of weight you have lost, you're doing an incredible job. You and I have different goals for sure! Keep up your hard work.

In 2011 and early 2012 I was quite sick and hospitalized 5 times in a 9 month period for a total of 22 days. I thought my life was over. To regain health and come out stronger and healthier than ever is a wonderful thing. It's pretty empowering.

Good job on your leg rehab. I'm always amazed at the body's ability to heal. Of course you put in major effort to make that happen. :)

Chaseg08

I am sore today! Yesterday I was feeling bored and ambitious so I headed to the gym at 2pm. I figured it would be empty considering it was Sunday and the Broncos were about to start and I was right. I love when the gym is empty. I always push myself harder when no one is around. Anyway, I leg pressed 745 for eight reps on my 5th set! Woo! Movin' on up.

Hooterville

I love Saturdays and Sundays at the gym. Mine is always fairly empty then and they are the two days that I try to make sure not to miss. Friday nights are usually slow, too...well, I guess because other people have lives. :T

I still cannot even conceive of that kind of weight. :eek:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.