Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tipper21

Vitamin D Defincent?

tipper21

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has this issue. My level was 9.2 and the Dr prescribed 50,000 ICU of Vitamin D (one tablet a week).

Just curious.

Cora

I didn't find that the tablets did much for me, but I did well with the drops. It's actually a lower dose, but seems to be absorbed better for me. I've had chronic low D for a while.

Uff Da

A year or more ago my blood test showed that I was very deficient in vitamin D. Not surprising here on the Washington coast where it seems to rain for half the year. Besides, I have rosacea and am supposed to stay out of the sun when weather is good.

The doctor put me on 4000 IU daily and the blood test three months later was fine. I took OTC tablets. She then said I could reduce it to 2000 IU daily, which I have continued.

tipper21

Thanks for the info. I live in Wisconsin seems like this year winter has never ended! I am inside for 8 hours a day, come home make dinner, clean the kitchen etc...not outside as much as I'd like to be.

Well, hopefully this medication will increase the level. And, I felt perfectly fine no clue it was low.

TX_Clint

I too take a vitamin d supplement. I was on 5000/day and just reduced to 2000. It seems there is a connection to my psoriasis, hypothyroid and t2D.

Peggy_TX

I got tested a year ago and scored a 15

Took 10,000IU D3/day for about a year. Can't remember the exact level on the last test, but it was high end of normal range

I've now cut back to 1,000IU/day (well... I actually had some 2,000 pills, so I am doing 2,000 every other day until those are used up)

You'd think we get lots of sun in Austin, but it's actually so hot out that I'm usually inside. And when I'm out, I'm wearing sunscreen.

tipper21

I know the heat in Texas is brutal. We have family in Midland, Texas and we actually lived there in 2007-2008 for 8 months. Temperatures of 117 degrees even in the dry West Texas region are/were to much for this yankee.... husband was born in Hobbs, NM and raised all around West Texas....

mom24grlz

This is the first time Ashleigh has not been vitamin D deficient! I swear it's because i made her take a multivitamin starting about a month prior to her annual labs.

adiantum

Tipper, I also take 50,000 units but only once a month

I started taking it in august last year & by October my readings were up to 58mmol/L with the required range being 51 to 140

Ive not been given the results since then so will ask next time I see the doctor.

I don't understand why an Aussie should be deficient as this is the land of sun & I am a gardener.

blufloyd

I take 1000 capsuls. one a day unless its dreary then 2. Level was just inside lower limit after taking supplemental for 3 months.

tipper21

Thanks-the info-a few months ago my pharmacist mentioned Vitamin D and said that most people are low-and suggested getting tested.

When I went to the Dr on May 1 he said he had requested this test. I'm glad he did....I have to have the level checked at my next appt 9/3 we'll see what the result is-hoping better.

poodlebone

Several years ago my CDE said I needed to start taking Vitamin D. She said to take 1,000 a day. 6 months later she told me to increase it to 2,000. On 2,000 a day my levels have been okay.

adiantum

Thanks John, that might explain it.

Like most here, I'd been taking 1,000 units a day yet still was low in Vit D

which is why my doctor prescribed the 50,000 units

gettingby

My endo has me on 4,ooo a day until my next blood work, then if the numbers are right, he says I can go down to 2,000 a day.

moneymeister

Last June mine was under 5...it would not register. the nurse called and asked me how I felt. My sister had the same thing happen, so we figure it's a family quirk. I started with 50,000 a week for 8 weeks and now supplement with 5,000 a day since. Last test I was a 38. The small sized 5,000 capsules are cheap at Costco in the USA (300 tabs).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.