Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jambo101

Trying to motivate 19yr old to get a summer job

jwags

Wow, I wish my kids tutition was $1300 a semester. 2 of my 5 kids went to private colleges the others went to State Colleges. The private colleges were as much as $17,000 a semester and the State ones about $5,000 a semester. Now, you see why my kids had to work. As long as she has spending money, she sees no need to work. But that may change when she goes to college and her new friends want to do things on weekends or Spring Break.

apollo322
Wow, I wish my kids tutition was $1300 a semester. 2 of my 5 kids went to private colleges the others went to State Colleges. The private colleges were as much as $17,000 a semester and the State ones about $5,000 a semester. Now, you see why my kids had to work. As long as she has spending money, she sees no need to work. But that may change when she goes to college and her new friends want to do things on weekends or Spring Break.

Me too! You know the more I hear about how little she lives on the less I'd worry about her getting a job. Shell figure it out soon enough, they all do.

Hammer

Every kid is different, so it's hard to determine the correct approach to get them motivated. Myself, I got my first job when I was 11. I worked after school at the local hardware store. The hardware store owner was a ham radio operator and I wanted him to teach me about ham radio, so I worked at his store for free as he taught me all about ham radio.....he even administered my Novice Class license test. Once I obtained my Novice class license, I needed a radio to operate, so he gave me his old home made radio equipment in lieu of my working at his store. I had numerous jobs after that, but I wanted to work so I'd have money to pay for things.

Now my daughter, she has the same work ethic. When she was in high school, she worked as a waitress at a small pizza place. When she was in college, she had jobs as a cashier at a grocery store, an assistant manager at a movie theater and as a second photographer to a professional photographer. (she majored in photography in college). My daughter has always been highly motivated to work for things, but I have to admit, I paid for a lot of things for her....hey, I'm her dad. I can't help it.

I know that most parents probably wouldn't have paid for these things, but again, she's my daughter so I can't help myself. I let her pick out the new car she wanted when she was 12 years old and I ordered it for her.(I gave it to her when she turned 16). I also bought her three more new cars....put down payments on two houses, paid for several new computers, bought her several new digital cameras and lenses, the last being a Canon 5D Mark II with high quality lenses, etc. These days my daughter only asks me for something as a last resort because she wants to pay for them herself. She doesn't want to ask me for anything because she knows I am on a fixed income, but if she were to ask me for something, I'd do my best to give it to her. The reasons why I'd give it to her are....well, first, she's my daughter, but also, I know that my daughter is working her butt off to make a living. She is married and her husband makes a good living, so between the two of them, I think they will be okay.

The way I look at it is like this....when I die, my daughter will get everything that I own anyway, so if she needs a hand now, why not give it to her now?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.