Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScaredofLADA

Should I be scared of LADA?

ScaredofLADA

Hello, my name is Tim and I am a 21 y/o college student living in NJ.

So I have a great deal of anxiety and stress when it comes to medical issues and I want to hear anyone's opinion on my situation. It would be much appreciated.

When I was 18 I had a blood test done, Normal Tri., Cholesterol, and a Fasting Blood Glucose of 81 mg/dl. - August 11 2010

At this time I was about 165 lbs, 5'6".

Over the following year I went up to 197 lbs (March 2011). Then I went on a super low calorie diet and dropped all the way to 145 lbs (August 2012). I then got diagnosed with a rare chronic daily headache called "New Daily Persistent Headache". It caused me a lot of stress and in a month I gained back about 5 lbs and was on a low dose of prednisone twice in an attempt to treat it. Still at a bmi within normal range.

I had another blood test that tried to hit a lot of potential etiologies for my NDPH. All my blood platelets, white blood cell/ metabolic panel ANA, CRP, Etc were all normal/Negative. Triglycerides were 125, Total Cholesterol was 174. Fasting Blood Glucose was 94 mg/dl? (September 2012).

Now I consulted two doctors who said my glucose was normal just because it was in normal range of 65-99 but yet I know people who have BMI's of 33, and older than me but with FBG of 87. It doesn't make sense to me.

So I had an a1c test performed June 2013 which the result came back at 5.4% which is still in the normal range of 4%-5.6% but again at the higher end of it.

Should I be concerned that I am only 21 years old, I have a normal BMI, no history of autoimmune diseases or family history of Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes. Why is my blood glucose running on the higher side of "normal". Should I push my doctor into testing me for the Autoantibodies in Type 1.5 Diabetes? My OCD about medical conditions is bad.

Thank you.

NoraWI

Taking prednisone can raise BGs slightly. Anxiety and your headache can do so, too. But your blood glucose levels are still definitely in the normal range. You are OCD about your health. Relax. You are healthy. Go for annual checkups and stop reading about and then "acquiring" symptoms. That has a name and it is *hypochondria.* And that is not healthy.

Sprockets

You sound healthy to me, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn and I'm not a doctor. Sounds like you need to get out and have some fun. Ever go kayaking?

patricia52

I would just eat heathy, exercise regularly, and have regular checkups. Stop worrying. Everyone's fasting blood sugar is not the same and varies from day to day.

Maggiegong

Maybe you should worry! I know that I had fasting levels like that 34 years ago and here I am today officially diagnosed as diabetic in January 2013. Alternatively you could chose to live a healthy lifestyle, get tested once a year and who knows, 34 years may turn into never. Then again you could get run over by a bus, not saying you SHOULD worry about it, just saying it happens.

Seriously Relax, Go forth and be young. Some of us might be jealous of that!!

Maggie :)

apollo322

Hey I remember you from chat. Now that I've heard more of your story I'm happy to say your very slightly elevated number makes more sense. Steroids and chronic headaches are two very well known reasons for raising your blood sugar. Congratulations, all your numbers sound great! So while I'm guessing you probably won't believe us, considering your OCD about diagnoses, in all likelihood no you should not be concerned.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.