Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaitE

11 Weeks A1C

CaitE

Hello-

So I'm now 11 weeks today and my most recent A1C from last week was 6.3. It hasn't come down more due to a lot of blood sugar issues (insulin resistance) around the 6/7/8 week mark. I'm worried that my A1C isn't low enough to rid concerns of spinal issues or congenital malformations. I can't help but think that I'm never doing enough. Am I overreacting here?

CaitE

Steal

I think you are doing great. My doctor always said below 6.5 and I started there and brought mine down to the 5's. 6.3 is great and if you feel better, lower, you can continue to try and get there. Keep up the good work.

Lizzie G

Hi,

Please try not to worry. My last pregnancy I started out with an A1C of 6.0 which I managed to reduce to the 5s, and didnt have much difficulty. I found out about 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant again and it has been a NIGHTMARE with lots of random highs and lows, hormones going crazy and everything being unpredictable. I'm very scared of losing this pregnancy or doing damage as a result, but all I can do is my best, and if 3 units of insulin worked perfectly for a small apple yesterday afternoon, then if it doesnt work this afternoon, theres no way I could have foreseen that and the best I can do is learn anything I need to learn from analysing the experience, and move on.

Your A1C sounds fine, and what does the damage is sustained highs not the occasional mad excursions that you are probably experiencing! My best advice to you, if you get one of those crazy spikes, take some insulin and get out for a brisk 10 minute walk, it does wonders to bring it down more quickly. oh and try not to worry. i KNOW the highs can cause damage, but if you imagine that you are someone that is in good control, someone with bad control in early pregnancy is going to be having a lot more highs, that last a lot longer, and these are the people that make the statistics for malformities etc scary. Oh and make sure you are taking your high dose folic acid (I also take zinc, multivits, baby aspirin, extra vit B!!!)

Good luck x

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.