Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k_dub

6 weeks pregnant with 1st baby

k_dub

On May 23, 2013, I found out that I am pregnant. Yesterday, I went in for a 6 week ultrasound. The baby is doing great so far - is 4mm long and I'm due January 24, 2014. I realize that I am still at a high risk of miscarriage until the end of the first trimester. It's always in the back of my mind. So far, I'm feeling great! No morning sickness. Just a little tired.

Here is a pic of my ultrasound yesterday.

post-12498-13962878406_thumb.jpg

My most recent A1c was 6.2% on 4/22. I will be working on getting that down under 6.0%, which I have done before. Last week, my BGs were great. This week, I'm experiencing random highs. I've read that many T1 women will have problems with hypos in the 1st trimester. I have not experienced that too much - maybe just one day.

I am in the process of scheduling a visit with my regular endo at the Barbara Davis Center in Denver (8 hours round trip for me). Sounds like they will see me at least once per trimester. I still have not yet had a visit with my OB either - I went to a radiology clinic for the ultrasound because there was some concern over if I have a bicornuate uterus or not. I'm hoping to hear back from OB soon. They don't seem to be in a rush to see me.

I was having great BG when I was sticking to my normal low carb diet in which I eat about 50g carbs per day. I'm having trouble, at the moment, handling more carbs than say 20g carbs per meal - I just seem to spike regardless of the insulin I take. I've been trying to stick with my Paleo-ish diet as well, but I've been having the most ridiculous food cravings - mostly cheese and carby stuff like noodles, nachos, and bread. Oy!

Anyhow, I'm excited to share this journey with my DF friends!

Hooterville

Kelly! You know this. I am so very happy with this news. All my best wishes and thoughts for you and hubs, this pregnancy and baby. :)

Margie3

Kelly, that's such exciting news!! Congratulations and you're all in my thoughts and prayers!

adiantum

Kelly I'm so happy for you .

Happy tears are shed you & baby.............. that's what wonderful news does to me

Lizzie G

Hi Kelly,

Congratulations! I'm about a week behind you with baby number 2, finding it harder than the first time (lot more random swings in blood sugar). yesterday was the first day in about a week where all my numbers were in the right place, basically i lost the fear of taking almost double boluses etc AND IT WORKED - YAY! be prepared in a couple of weeks time to hit a point where you need a lot less insulin, this first trimester is crazy, but it gets much easier after that with predictable and gradual rises in insulin requirement.

sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work and believe that this baby is doing well and going to make it!

Liz x

k_dub
Ear granules.... Ha.... nice. Enjoy the trip.
My vertigo was completely separate! Vertigo started 4/2 and I conceived around 4/30. :)

CaitE

I had the exact same problem around 6-8 weeks. It seemed that no matter what I ate caused my BG to go to the 13 range which would then take many corrections to come down. Out of fear of maintaining a high, I always ended up stacking my doses and going low.

I can happily report that now at 11.5 weeks, it has gotten much better - I should be prepared I guess for another change soon.

I've actually be reducing my basal rates again. It's great to know that other 'controlled' mothers to be are going through the same thing and that it's not all perfect. Although my last A1C is still 6.3, I am hopeful that it will get to the 5s. My diabetes health care team seem to be pleased with my levels and control, however, they report I'm having way to many lows....oh well!

Good luck and know that many of us don't only experience the text book lows in the first trimester.

mzteacher

Oh Kelly this is just the best news!!!!

Congratulations on this wonderful news.

Wishing you a healthy happy time as you help God create a miracle!!!!

I hope you enjoy this very special time!!

You will be a terrific mommy : )

Blessings,

S

Peggy_TX

Oh my goodness!!! You can tell I skip most of the pregnancy threads.... Just saw something Kelly posted and went looking to see what I missed.

Looks like I missed at least 2 big announcements!

CONGRATULATIONS to both Kelly and Lizzie !!!!!!

k_dub

So I had my first prenatal visit down at the University of Colorado in Denver. I am 9 weeks along today. We had a 2nd ultrasound done yesterday and every is looking good! Baby is about 1in long and has arm/leg stumps. My husband likes to talk about the "5th appendage" he swears he saw [eye rolling].

My A1c yesterday was 5.7%. Which made me feel soooo much better because I've been stressing about my BGs - especially in the first few weeks of pregnancy.

I'm still trying to work out who all I want on my prenatal team. There are many options, but none are close to where I live, so I will be driving good distances for most of my appointments.

k_dub

I thought I'd post an update... I'm now at 10 weeks. I'm feeling great! BG has been very easy to control in the past two weeks due to increased insulin sensitivity (well, it's back to where it was pre-pregnancy after losing some sensitivity in weeks 6-8).

My next appt is July 9th. I think I am getting the nuchal translucency test during that appt. Three more weeks and I'm out of the first trimester. I'm so ready to be in the second trimester so I can worry a little bit less about miscarriage.

I've been trying to keep up on my blog each week. For anyone interested in following, you can find it here.

I'm not promising that it is entertaining! I think I am going to start having hubby take pics of my belly this week. My pants are getting tighter in the belly area.

k_dub

Week 11 - I see my new OB tomorrow. Excited for another ultrasound to see how the baby is doing.

Also started the 24 hour urine test today. I'm so glad that I work from home and can do this test in the privacy of my house rather than having to take this disgusting-looking jug to the office. I feel for any of you ladies that have to do that! For those who don't know the test, you can read about it here.

Kathryn10

Yay! Almost in the 2nd trimester! I have been worried about having to do that stupid urine test but I haven't been asked to do it thankfully. I work most days in a leasing office and we share a restroom with residents and prospects, which is right near the fitness center and pool. I could NOT do that while at work. Lol. Your baby should finally look like a real human in the ultrasound now! So exciting!

Hooterville
Yay! Almost in the 2nd trimester! I have been worried about having to do that stupid urine test but I haven't been asked to do it thankfully. I work most days in a leasing office and we share a restroom with residents and prospects, which is right near the fitness center and pool. I could NOT do that while at work. Lol. Your baby should finally look like a real human in the ultrasound now! So exciting!

Kathryn, don't worry. I did mine starting on a Sunday morning finishing on Monday morning and then delivered it to the lab so I never had to do it at work.

ant hill

Now I can say Congrats Properly. Good on ya Kelly!!!!! :D

This is allways good news and as I read the thread seems to be all doing well. Also as a doctor yourself I am sure of a successful berth. I can only say one thing that when you have a meal, Spare a thought to the baby as it's hungry too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIYi9qL7oBmvQDpgvhSkm0c1_NWWnP5dx_R4kz6ayfVpap1JAb

for you & the baby.

Congratulations.

:D:D:D

:o:o

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.