Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k_dub

6 weeks pregnant with 1st baby

Book Woman
On May 23, 2013, I found out that I am pregnant. Yesterday, I went in for a 6 week ultrasound. The baby is doing great so far - is 4mm long and I'm due January 24, 2014. I realize that I am still at a high risk of miscarriage until the end of the first trimester. It's always in the back of my mind. So far, I'm feeling great! No morning sickness. Just a little tired.

Here is a pic of my ultrasound yesterday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6813[/ATTACH]

My most recent A1c was 6.2% on 4/22. I will be working on getting that down under 6.0%, which I have done before. Last week, my BGs were great. This week, I'm experiencing random highs. I've read that many T1 women will have problems with hypos in the 1st trimester. I have not experienced that too much - maybe just one day.

I am in the process of scheduling a visit with my regular endo at the Barbara Davis Center in Denver (8 hours round trip for me). Sounds like they will see me at least once per trimester. I still have not yet had a visit with my OB either - I went to a radiology clinic for the ultrasound because there was some concern over if I have a bicornuate uterus or not. I'm hoping to hear back from OB soon. They don't seem to be in a rush to see me.

I was having great BG when I was sticking to my normal low carb diet in which I eat about 50g carbs per day. I'm having trouble, at the moment, handling more carbs than say 20g carbs per meal - I just seem to spike regardless of the insulin I take. I've been trying to stick with my Paleo-ish diet as well, but I've been having the most ridiculous food cravings - mostly cheese and carby stuff like noodles, nachos, and bread. Oy!

Anyhow, I'm excited to share this journey with my DF friends!

Congrats! :congrats:

Book Woman
Hi Kelly,

Congratulations! I'm about a week behind you with baby number 2, finding it harder than the first time (lot more random swings in blood sugar). yesterday was the first day in about a week where all my numbers were in the right place, basically i lost the fear of taking almost double boluses etc AND IT WORKED - YAY! be prepared in a couple of weeks time to hit a point where you need a lot less insulin, this first trimester is crazy, but it gets much easier after that with predictable and gradual rises in insulin requirement.

sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work and believe that this baby is doing well and going to make it!

Liz x

Congrats Lizzie :congrats:

Lizzie G

Hi Kelly

How was your ultrasound yesterday? Hope the nuchal measurement was ok (before my son I unfortunately had a chromosomally abnormal pregnancy with a 6mm nuchal so I know how worrying these things can be). I hope you are able to breath a sigh of relief that all is well and that you are now extremely unlikely to miscarry.

I have another scan next week where I will get the nuchal fold measured. I have had these privately as I want to avoid the 'diabetic clinic' and be referred to a good obstetrician at a different hospital.

Thanks everyone for congratulations I didnt mean to hijack the thread!

k_dub

Hello Lizzie!

I so appreciate your jumping in and talking about your experiences too!

So 11w3d ultrasound was yesterday. Everything looked good! Baby was big enough to do the nuchal translucency test. Apparently, the baby has to be at least 45mm in length and my baby was 47mm. :) So they did proceed with the test. I had the results before I left the doc appt. Everything was normal. I did opt to do some blood screening. So those results are pending.

Baby was in the wrong position initially for the nuchal test. So the techs were poking and prodding to see if they could baby to turn. Baby was doing some yoga in my uterus! I could not believe how active baby was. When they pushed into my stomach, baby moved it's arms in front of it's face to protect itself and even tried to "push" back. Baby was grabbing own feet and swimming around. I cannot feel it at all yet because it's still so small! But it is amazing to see.

I dropped off my urine for the 24h urine test yesterday. Not sure when I get those labs back.

So far, everything is going well. Friday is 12 week mark.

Later, I will try to post a pic of this last ultrasound.

k_dub
Yay! Almost in the 2nd trimester! I have been worried about having to do that stupid urine test but I haven't been asked to do it thankfully. I work most days in a leasing office and we share a restroom with residents and prospects, which is right near the fitness center and pool. I could NOT do that while at work. Lol. Your baby should finally look like a real human in the ultrasound now! So exciting!

Deb (Hooterville) reminded me that you can do the urine test over the weekend. Good thinking. I guess it depends on when the appt is? Or how quick you could get the urine to the lab?

I think they will be making me do this test again later.

Lizzie G

so glad everything went ok and the baby put on an entertaini g show! will ypu find out the sex? are you going to start breaking the news soon?!my due dates about a week after yours x

k_dub

I do want to know the sex. So that will be at week 20. I figure it will cut back on the arguing over names by 50%. :)

I have started telling some close family and friends. My boss knows because I'm having to take off so much time for appointments.

Next ultrasound won't be until week 20. Sigh. The ultrasounds are fun. My favorite part of the visits.

Lizzie G

my husband has ideas that we shouldnt find out this time. but we will. there was never any question of not finding out with my son (although i absolutely KNEW it was a boy!).

do talk with them about the frequency of appoitments if you feel its over the top; you shouldnt have to have so many appointments in the first trimester that your boss needs to know unless you are having control related issues, otherwise its over the top and ultrasounds cant even tell you anything of note until 12 weeks! theres often a 'standard diabetic frequency' which is designed with the most poorly controlled diabetic who waits for a doctor to adjust her levels in mind. it really doesnt need to be that much.

k_dub

Update!

I had my 20 week ultrasound/anatomy scan yesterday. Everything is looking great! Baby had two kidneys, a stomach, intestine, heart with 4 chambers, brain, etc. I was at 20w6d and the baby's measurements (femur, humerus, and foot) were estimating baby to be 20w5d, so I'm measuring spot on.

We also found out the gender yesterday! It's a BOY!

post-12498-139628786131_thumb.jpg

Tanikit

Aww, congrats and congrats on reaching the halfway mark - you'll be in the third trimester and the final stretch before you know it. Have you got any names planned yet?

Peggy_TX

Great news!

I was just thinking about you yesterday... my friend just got news that she's going to be have a girl, and I was wondering if you'd be doing fetal sexing too

Lots of blue stuff in your future!!

Diabetty

Hi Kelly, I have been away for awhile. I just found out about little Eggbert in the forum! That is wonderful news, I'm so very happy for you!

k_dub

So I've been MIA for awhile...

Got back from my trip to Asia last week and I've been fighting jet lag... Trip was great - had a few minor health issues. Within two days of being in Hong Kong I developed streptococcus cellulitus (skin rash/infection from bacteria normally found on skin). I live in a dry climate, so the hot/humid weather combined with poor circulation due to 28 hours of airplane travel + 24 weeks pregnant + diabetes. There were a few days I thought I was going to have to come home early, but I went to an SOS medical clinic when I arrived in Hanoi and was seen by a dermatologist there and also had baby checked. Everything with baby was fine and my skin rash cleared up within two days of being put on an antibiotic.

Second to last day in Vietnam, the other travelers I was with and I ended up developing a mild GI illness. I believe it was parasitic based on symptoms - we had been eating lots of fresh salads every day (i.e., green papaya salad, banana flower salad, etc). Food was so good there; it was totally worth a little mild GI upset. I think I'm finally getting over that. I had an ova and parasite stool exam done by the parasitologist at my work - everything was negative, but I was feeling mostly better by the time I submitted the samples and it was >10 days from when symptoms started. I'm back to normal now. :)

Trip was incredible and I saw lots of neat things - more on that later.

Yesterday, I had routine endocrinologist appt in Denver. My latest A1c is 5.7%!! This is after traveling for 15 days straight! Honestly, I was surprised it was this low - I feel like my BGs have been whacked the past two weeks.

Interestingly, despite being pregnant and expecting increasing IR, I had to drop my basal rates 40% while on my trip and I pretty much was getting away with eating whatever I wanted while I was there without any major BG spikes. I was actually having problems with lows during my first week in Asia. I do think that this drop in insulin needs was largely due to the large amount of walking that I was doing every day, but I'm not sure the walking explains 100% of it... I do think that the fresh, real food I was eating there helped as well. Vietnamese food is definitely heavy on vegetables and fresh fruit.

Today, I saw the fetal cardiologist in Denver - because of my T1DM I was referred to her for a fetal echocardiogram. Everything looked great! All normal! At this time, there is not reason for me to have to been seen by her again. Good news!

I also saw my regular OB today for a general visit. She was impressed with my A1c. All of my routine tests have been normal. They are pleased with my weight gain. I'm 25w4d today, and I've gained 8 lbs. I've been eating tons of food! Baby is growing appropriately. My belly is getting bigger daily! I was pleased with the amount of walking I did in Asia - sometimes 10-12 hours per day. I feel good.

I hope things continue to be this easy for me and baby boy! :)

GAgirl

K_dub-

Congrats on your great trip and your labs and the baby , and everything! Sounds like it was wonderful! glad you and the baby are both well and happy!

Lizzie G

awww thats so pretty kelly you look great. i suppose i should post one for a week behind you. iv been meaning to write and havent but loved reading your last post, sounds like you are doing so great and feeling so positive im really happy for you! x

ant hill

Hello Kelly,

Wow, What's not to like with your Pregnancy. A trip to Asia and you look so viberent and happy and glowing with expectation. You have DF in a spin with you and a Boy OMG.

Kelly, Thank you for keeping us up with your progress and a A1C of 5.7% is stunning!!!! :D The photo of you in that mirror will be a fond memory of your Pregnancy as I think would be nice framed apon a fireplace sill.

Happy Pregnancy Kelly. ;):)

mzteacher

What a beautiful little momma you are!!! The picture of health! Congratulations on your growing baby boy and for such good health while helping God create your miracle.

Much much happiness to you Dr. Kelly!!!

Tanikit

You look great Kelly and you are doing really well - what a great hba1c and glad the trip to Asia went well - you sound busy - are you going to be able to slow down as the pregnancy nears its end later or will you keep going at a fast pace? How are the baby preparations coming?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.