Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k_dub

6 weeks pregnant with 1st baby

k_dub

Asia trip was fun, but I am tired. haha

So yes, I totally plan on slowing down. I'm supposed to go to a conference in Texas for work in November, and I told my boss I'd rather not. I had 11 flights in 14 days on that Asia trip - I could enjoy not seeing an airplane for awhile!

My husband and I need to start working on the nursery. I think this weekend, he will paint. We have most of the essentials. I have some great friends that gave me a ton of slightly used stuff. I will get more stuff at baby shower, so we really haven't had to buy anything yet.

I also intend to find a doula soon.

The location of my birth might change, though, as I'm in the process of applying for a new job - a once every 15 year opportunity - so if I get that job, I'll need to find an OB closer to home (current OB is 178 miles away ~ 2.5 hours). That would also change the doula situation.

So, I'm trying to get settled in, but there are things still up in the air. :)

JanetP

Good luck with the job! What are the details? (don't mind me, I'm nosey!) and the OB and the doula, etc. etc. etc. You make me tired just reading your posts :). Can you send some of your energy this way?

k_dub

So here's an update!

35w0d today!

Things have been going well as far as I know!

I was offered the new job and I start on 12/30. I'll be a boss lady of a local public health agency with ~50 employees. Big career change for me.

I'll have three weeks (or less) in job before baby comes and then I'll be on maternity leave.

I switched to an OB in my current town due to job change - much less driving, which is turning out really well since we've had such bad winter weather

I'm going in 2x week for non stress tests. They've all been good!

Baby boy is growing well. Last growth ultrasound showed he is in 64th percentile on weight - so not looking too big.

I had swab for Group B strep yesterday and it was negative!

I also secured daycare for when I go back to work post-baby. Thank goodness! It's hard to find a reliable provider around here! I've been waitlisted at some places, but found a retired nurse who had an opening in her in-home daycare.

I've gained 33lbs so far with this pregnancy....more than I wanted so I'm hoping the weight gain stalls out, but I'm thinking it may not? Oy.

But overall, I'm feeling good with the exception of some foot/ankle swelling and some pubic joint pain.

He could show up any day now!

Lizzie G

hey kelly!

glad all is looking so well; i love the fact that you are taking on the challenge of a big new career job just before you go on leave; i know everyones different and many of my friends have chosen to take a different approach/path after children but iv appreciated and enjoyed my career so much more since having sam and will look forward to having that to go back to.

i think the aches and pains are unavoidable at this stage, im a week or sobehind and night time is getting a bit uncomfortable and im feeling a bit stiff. and the pelvic pain...ouch. you dont sound like much of a rester, but try to whilst you can!

dont worry about the weight gain. 33 pounds isnt crazy and you wont gain much the last month or so. my last pregnancy i didnt get weighed but i must have gained roughly 50-60 (& started this one about 15 heavier than last time). iv gained 25 at 34 weeks; so not as bad a gain but a lot of work for next year. i have two weddings in july and am going to make that my goal!

what is the plan for birth are you going full term?

Tanikit

You are doing great - not much longer left. When the baby gets here you must let him change your life in whatever way he chooses to do so and whatever way you feel will work best for you. Babies are totally life changing and often priorities change and the beliefs you held will be tested and tried and changed all the time. One tiny little person can change who you are. There are people who decide exactly how they think things will be once the baby is here and it is that way and they are happy, but there are many people who think it will be one way and then it does not work out quite how they think and their ways of thinking change - the best thing is just to see how it goes and who this little person is - it is always great to meet them.

I admire you for changing your job so close to the birth of your baby - hope the change goes well and you settle in there fast. You sound very organised and that is great. Enjoy those last few weeks with your own company.

k_dub
what is the plan for birth are you going full term?

So OB wants me to get to at least 39-40 weeks if everything continues to look good. I am still wanting a natural hospital birth. I really want to go into labor on my own and let labor proceed on its own without medical intervention, unless something truly medically indicated. I think the odds are stacked up against all of that happening, but I'm on the hunt for a doula now that can help me make informed decisions. I feel well-informed now.. I am a medical researcher by training, so I've read tons of stuff. I just want someone to support me who is experienced in natural childbirth.

I feel like with Type 1, the things that will be most cited as reasons for intervention will be a) baby's size/macrosomia - I have my next growth scan in the first week of January, B) decelerations in baby's heart rate during labor, c) labor not proceeding fast enough.

Pretty typical reasons for augmenting labor or doing a c-section.... at least in the US...

I feel like we'll cross those bridges when we get there, but my OB is totally on board with full term vaginal delivery!

Jan B

Kelly,

I'm so happy for you. Once in a while I think about the morning my water broke in June, 1984. What a joyous feeling that was, when it all started. That was about 6am, and I had my baby at 4pm. All natural and one week before the limit the doctor had set.

An early congratulations in case I miss your announcement!!! All my love and good wishes.

Kathryn10

Kelly!! I feel like I've missed all of your pregnancy posts since I've been so busy with my own little one. You look fantastic and it sounds like everything is going smoothly! How long of a maternity leave are you planning to take? It's great that you've already secured daycare. 5.7 A1C is awesome!! As long as baby is looking ok then there should be no reason to schedule a c-section ... I hate to hear doctors pushing unnecessary c-sections.

Good luck and before you know it you'll have a beautiful baby in your arms!

k_dub

So I went into labor on my own on the evening of jan 3rd. I delivered Nicholas Blaise at 3:40am on jan 4th six hours after my first contraction. He was 37w gestation. 6lb 2oz and absolutely perfect.

I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery. I opted for an epidural but had no other interventions. It was an amazing experience!!

They monitored his blood sugars closely for the first 24 hours since he was at risk for hypoglycemia. He had no problems with his blood sugar or any other issues. The pediatrician was amazed. He said he had never seen such a healthy baby of a diabetic mother. :)

We were discharged from the hospital on Sunday and have been adapting to our new life.

Will post a pic when I can get on the laptop.

Hooterville

Kelly, this makes me so happy. It has been my pleasure to have shared in this amazing baby journey of yours. You rocked this pregnancy and birth, momma! I truly feel like an Auntie. :)

mzteacher

Oh Little Momma this news made my day!!!! Congratulations on your wonderful healthy little boy!! Seems you are the picture perfect example of how to do this in such a healthy way!!

Blessings to you and your little family! Looking forward to watching him grow up!!!

ant hill

Congratulations Kelly :D,

You have won our hearts & minds with this wonderful journey on DF!!! and a recommendation from your pediatrician.

WOW!!!!

With this Kelly, You have kept us updated with your progress and made us feel so so happy and for you and your own family.

All the best from me and the Diabetes Forums Family. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.