Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mshappy

Questions re. diagnosis

mshappy

Hi,

I took the 50g glucose test a few weeks ago and scored 161.

However, I do not want to do the 100g test for the following reasons:

1. I have severe needle phobia....doing the 1st test was bad enough....there is no way I'm doing 4 blood tests in one morning.

2. I have been measuring my blood glucose levels over past week using a glucometer and the results (from what I can understand) look totally fine - it's usually 82-90 first thing in the morning after fasting, 93-100 2 hours after breakfast, 75-110 before lunch, 105-119 2 hours after lunch, 84-94 before dinner and then 100-110 before I go to bed.

This makes me wonder how suitable the glucose tests are for me - firstly, I read that stress/anxiety causes a raise in blood sugar. Well, if I'm shaking in fear during the blood test, surely that would give me a false high result? Secondly, I never consume that amount of sugar, so as long as my levels are under control when I eat regularly, surely that's what counts?

Any thoughts?

patricia52

Check you BG 1 hour after eating to see how much your meals are spiking your Sugar levels. We check our BG 2 hours after eating to see if we have returned to near normal levels. 50 carbs is not a lot of carbs. There are more than 50 carbs in a serving of spaghetti (45) nd a slice of garlic bread (15-25). The 169 and the 119 2 hours after lunch would concern me.

Maggiegong

Hi Ms Happy, you may or may not be diabetic but only the GTT and an A1c would let you know for sure. First up dont worry about the anxiety effecting your blood sugar, if you arent diabetic it wont do that, if you are diabetic its better to know anyway. I didn't have diabetic fasting sugars at diagnosis and even my A1c wasn't super high. I got my diagnosis entirely on the basis of a 75gm OGTT and I hit 203 at the 2 hour mark. While you are already doing good things to control diabetes if you did have it, it's best to know. Who wants to do unnecessary finger stabbing if you don't need to. If it goes the other way knowing will help you to continue monitoring and managing it. Have the OGTT and good luck. Really hope you don't join our D club :)

Good

patricia52
Why is 119 2 hours after lunch problematic?

Isn't anything under 140 ok?

It is ok if you are diabetic and do not want tight control. It just suggests to me that something could be going on. Like I said, check your BG 1 hour after meals to see how much your sugar is spiking.

jwags

I have never had an OGTT it is not necessary. Even non diabetics spike to 120 after meals. Your fasting bgs are perfect. Why do you think you are diabetic. 200 on the OGTT indicate diabetes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.