Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

JanetP

Any bookworms out there?

JanetP

Who likes to read? And what do you read? I've been stuck on traditional regency romances lately, the kind with no sex. It reminds me too much of what I'm missing. Before that it was sic-fi and fantasy. I just finished George Takei's new book. At the moment reading is escapism for me, brain candy. I come from a family of bookworms and was reading college level in the 7th grade. I go through about a book a day now. Last time I was clocked I read 1000 words a minute, it's probably slower than that now. I bought Kindle 3 years ago and keep it hot. Amazon gets a lot of my discretionary income. I recently found a site called Book Bub that offers e-books for free or very reduced prices. There is another one called Book Gorilla that is similar but I haven't had much to do with them. I check in on Goodreads occasionally and before I wen electronic I was active online in the paperback swap club where you post what you have, people claim it, and all you have to do is ship it to them.

So, chime in. Let's swap titles and reviews.

NoraWI

My reading taste is varied. Everything from economics, politics, history through mystery and sci-fi, although I haven't read any really good sci-fi in many years. No fantasy. My one rule is that the book must be well written... even the "junk food for the brain" has to be well written. No good writing; no reading. :D Has anyone read Blasphemy by Sheridan Alexie?

Haniwitch

Wow, Janet, do you really want to know? I am a bookaholic. I have no idea how many books I own (I’m afraid to count them) but if there’s a clear wall in my house it’s got a bookcase on it. And I’m not talking those silly little things with a couple of shelves; mine are the five-foot kind and they’re all full. Years ago my sister decided to re-insulate my front living outside wall and put built-ins all around the window and it was full as soon as it was finished. I have books in the living room, the dining room, my bedroom, and a full wall of shelves in the basement for the cheaper books (paperbacks and book club ones). And I’ve started to put them in what used to be my nephew’s room now that he’s moved out. Before they went belly up I belonged to almost every mail-order book club in Canada. And I’ve got a couple hundred books in storage at Dad’s house (but most of those I inherited from my mom). And I’ve got a Kobo e-reader which is rapidly filling up.

So, what am I reading? Right now a few books: Coming to our Senses (on mindful meditation), The Weird (collection of strange/horror stories over a hundred period from 1908 to 2010 by various authors), New Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit (children’s book), House of the Seven Gables by Hawthorne and Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. The first three I dip into every few days and the Hawthorne I’ve put aside until I finish the Wodehouse, which I started because things were getting too hectic/stressed at work and I needed something to cheer me up.

And speaking Regency romances have you ever read Georgette Heyer, the queen of Regency? You reminded me that I brought home her Talisman Ring from Dad’s last time I was there. I’ll have to start that one when I finish some of the others.

JanetP

I love Georgette Heyer! She got me started on Regency Romances. No one can top her. I haven't read her mysteries, though. I don't much like mysteries.

mom24grlz

i love to read. My mom and I are both big into reading books with the Amish as main characters. Right now I'm reading An Angel by her side by Ruth Reid.

gabrielo

I never realized that books about the Amish are so popular until I read about it in Friday's Wall Street Journal.

I don't read "bonnet rippers" as the article calls these books but I qualify as a bookworm as I love reading and books.

TeddySue
Who likes to read? And what do you read? I've been stuck on traditional regency romances lately, the kind with no sex. It reminds me too much of what I'm missing. Before that it was sic-fi and fantasy. I just finished George Takei's new book. At the moment reading is escapism for me, brain candy. I come from a family of bookworms and was reading college level in the 7th grade. I go through about a book a day now. Last time I was clocked I read 1000 words a minute, it's probably slower than that now. I bought Kindle 3 years ago and keep it hot. Amazon gets a lot of my discretionary income. I recently found a site called Book Bub that offers e-books for free or very reduced prices. There is another one called Book Gorilla that is similar but I haven't had much to do with them. I check in on Goodreads occasionally and before I wen electronic I was active online in the paperback swap club where you post what you have, people claim it, and all you have to do is ship it to them.

So, chime in. Let's swap titles and reviews.

I can't even go to bed and right to sleep; been reading till I fall asleep since I was a kid. I HAVE to have a book to read! My kids are the same. I had to LAUGH! at your reasoning for not reading books with sex... LOL! I agree totally! Thought I was the only one. Guess there are others doing without...

My daughter wants a Kindle; got any suggestions?

I love my old book from childhood: Little Britches series by Ralph Moody. Gene Stratton Porter books: Laddie, a True Blue Story. I love books with great families because I never had one. (except my kids) I love To Kill A Mockingbird. All my favorites I reread many times; it's my other life.

TeddySue

Bountyman

I don't know what it is but I've never been able to read a book, ever. That's right, never read a book. I can't even get through a long article. You might ask..."well, how did you graduate from high school then? I didn't. I've tried, honestly, but I get a few pages into something and I'm done. It just doesn't hold my attention. I'd like to read a few books. Those classics that everyone else reads...but, alas, it isn't meant to be. I truly envy you all.

Hammer

I used to love to read, but I rarely read anything anymore. Heck, I have several magazine subscriptions and I rarely finish them before the next month's issue arrives. I think one reason that I don't read much anymore is because I have a bad memory. If I start reading a book, I can't read part of it and put it down. If I do that, the next day, I can't remember what I read, so if I decide to read a book, I have to read the whole book in one sitting.

The last book I read was just released in May and it was called, "The Girl With No Name.....The Incredible Story of a Child Raised by Monkeys" written by Marina Chapman. Back when I read all the time, I liked all of the John Sandford "Prey" books, as well as the Dean R. Koontz books.

Bountyman
The last book I read was just released in May and it was called, "The Girl With No Name.....The Incredible Story of a Child Raised by Monkeys" written by Marina Chapman.

I'll bet the poor thing wound up with some really bad rotator cuff issues. :)

adiantum

I've only read 2 novels in my life .

The Cockroaches of Stay More & loved it.

another of owls as if they told the story, maybe by Richard Adams?

I have numerous reference books with shelves & crates full of them

ramon

Learned to read with comic books and Prince Valiant had me hooked. Found a book for $1 at the local market called Dragon Strike written years ago about Chinese expanding to all those islands in Asia all about the hunt for oil. Turns out that all the author says is coming true. Love Tom Clancy but he can get a little to technical. Books are a good escape and I love it.

Ramon

janice21475

Hi Teddy Sue,

"Laddie, a True Blue Story" I am reading this now. As with some of Mrs. Porters books it takes a few chapters for me to get into the 'swing' of the style.

To all, I highly recommend any book written by Gwen Bristow and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

My husband likes me to read to him and we have countless J.T.Edson 'Floating Outfit' books. Also, many of the Louis Lamour books. Ralph Compton's Trail Drive Series is good, too.

I agree, if it is not well written, I can not get through it. I like the characters well developed. Must admit, with the JT Edson books I make many allowances. It is not easy to find books with action and skilled writing, many of them are formula works. But you can have fun with them if you just relax and go with the flow. :)

JanetP
I don't know what it is but I've never been able to read a book, ever. That's right, never read a book. I can't even get through a long article. You might ask..."well, how did you graduate from high school then? I didn't. I've tried, honestly, but I get a few pages into something and I'm done. It just doesn't hold my attention. I'd like to read a few books. Those classics that everyone else reads...but, alas, it isn't meant to be. I truly envy you all.

My partner is the same way. Are you into TV the way he is. He has to have it on all the time.

JanetP

Adantium, I had to immediately go to Amazon and borrow the Cockroaches of Staymore from their lending library. I love that kind of book. You might like Tom Robbins or Christopher Moore. Another favorite is Memoirs from Antproof Case by Mark Helprin. I also have shelves of reference books, especially ones that relate to language.

TeddySue, I love my Kindle. It is never far away from me. However, it is old and very basic. I think you can still get the model. It is one of the cheaper ones. I'm thinking of getting a newer one.

Kathryn10

I LOVE to read too! I have two of the really tall bookshelves, the ones that go up 6 feet or so? And they're full ... along with a bunch of books in the garage. I've been trying to go to the library lately to save money but usually buy used books from Amazon. I really like non-fiction; books about people's lives, about people's experiences and about different parts of the world; I went through a time reading about human trafficking (terrible, terrible stuff in those books), gender inequality in the Middle East and Africa, women's issues etc. I've read a lot of books on health, books about different cultures/anthropology, and I love classics - the types of books that are required reading in school. I also try to read books in French and Spanish every now and then to keep up my proficiency in those languages. I could read anything by Paulo Coelho or Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I recently read Mom & Me & Mom (I might have screwed up that title) by Maya Angelou while I was waiting at the airport and really liked it, so I'm reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings now (never had to read it in school). I could write on this topic all day! I love reading. My fiance, on the other hand, could watch movies all.day.long.

MsMarginalized
...highly recommend any book written by Gwen Bristow...

Jubilee Trail was re-realeased during the Bicentennial & I first read it then (while in elementary school!) LOVED it & still read it about once a year (I like reading so much that I ***often*** re-read good books) I think that book is what got me into reading for pleasure (I'd read a lot at school for something to do & also had a higher-than-normal reading level while in elementary school).

I like Tom Clancys original novels....NOT the co-written w/stuff or the straight up military info books (I was a Navy brat and then in the A.F. so I know all that I care to about that.)

John Grisham is another author I look for & right now am beginning with Jodi Picoults first book (I've read maybe 3 already?)

Didn't ever think I'd get into fantasy but DH gave me The Sword of Truth series one year for Christmas. (DON'T watch the TV show, they messed it ALL up!)

I like some Steven King (can't wait for Under the Dome on TV--his stuff is usually filmed as he wrote it.)

A good friend just gave his old kindle fire to my son....we immediatly decided that it would be a shared-custody item between him & me. I'm reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes (I can't help but picture Benedict Cumberbatch as I read it.......) & am so glad to hear there are other places to find free/cheaper books!

DeusXM

I was the sort of kid who'd read the cereal packet at breakfast just for the sake of having something to read. As a result I'm remarkably unfussy about my choice of books (which always surprises people given I'm an English lit. graduate).

As a general rule, my favourite writers are Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and PG Wodehouse, which I guess is an established circle of preference. But generally I'll read anything once except for the sort of books that seem irrationally popular (Harry Potter and Twilight, I'm looking at you) and the sort of books that have the sort of titles that are there purely to annoy someone (mostly the outpouring of non-fiction political books written by various shockjocks).

Others that I think are well worth a look though are Tom Wolfe, Bret Easton Ellis, Michel Houellebecq, Roddy Doyle, Iain Banks (who sadly passed away today), Geoffrey Chaucer, Umberto Eco, Khalid Hosseini, Margaret Attwood, Christopher Marlowe, Mickey Spillane, Charles Dickens, Herodotus, George Orwell, Sue Townsend....like I said, I'll read pretty much anything.

Although probably the most important book I've ever read was Legionnaire by Simon Murray. I remember reading it when I was about 12, it's the memoirs of a British guy who ran off to join the French Foreign Legion in the early 60s just before the Algerian War. In his epilogue he wrote something on the lines "If you get the chance to go and do something foolish at 18, go and do it, because then you will have a story to tell at 40." I've definitely done much more in my life largely because of that advice.

TeddySue

What places are there (name) to get books for a kindle? My daughter is just starting and I'm going to buy her a kindle on eBay (of course). Thanks for any information.

TeddySue

Bountyman
My partner is the same way. Are you into TV the way he is. He has to have it on all the time.

Very few programs on TV worth watching anymore (at my age). I'll watch shows like NOVA that are well done and informational; a few comedy shows like Rules of Engagement or Mike & Molly, drama shows like Elementary, CSI: or The Good Wife. I'm a fan of 3 game shows that I watch religiously, The Price Is Right in the morning and Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy at night. I'm gonna win that $5,000 Wheel Watchers giveaway one of these days...I just know it.

Oh, and a new movie on HBO on Saturday night and their current series on Sunday nights. Tonight's the series finale of Game of Thrones. Not sure if it'll top last week's blood fest where they almost killed off the whole cast within 5 minutes. Next Sunday night starts the 6th season of True Blood about vampires. I keep waiting for them to bite into a hypoglycemic diabetic and spit it out. :D

Hooterville
This is amazing! You are a great writer. I'm pretty stunned.

JanetP

The Game of Thrones is a wonderful series of books. I haven't seen the TV series because I can't stand to watch TV. I was hooked on True Blood for a while (got the DVD's from Netflix) but have lost track of the action.