Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

JanetP

Any bookworms out there?

Kit

I've always been partial to Oh! Snatch'd away in beauty's bloom.  The last stanza has always resonated with me, the mix of grief and anger.

ran23

I got the Byron Book 'Don Juan'.   Not sure why I was thinking of something different.  Wikipedia makes it look like a fun read, will start it tonight.  

Kit

Its been a busy day for me today.  Cold and overcast (though it looks like the sun is trying to peek out now) I ran through and got most of my household chores done in record time.

Mentioned in another thread that I was looking at a thai soup for this weekend.  Well I wussed out and stuck with my tried and true sausage and pepper soup, though I I've been modifying that recipe more and more as the years go by.  mostly with the veggies, adding some extra stuff here and there just for a little something extra.  Also made a batch of the cheese biscuits that I like to have with soup.

Sat down to first meal of the day around 2pm and started work on a new batch of ebook processing.  Been dragging my feet on the subject recently and Mr Fuzzy and I have had recent ebook buying sprees, so some processing is in order.

A few of the ones which stand out.

"What If?  Serious scientific answers to absurd hypothetical Question"s by Randall Munroe (creator of the xkcd comic)

I have to admit, I adore the xkcd and what if comics.  Been meaning to buy the book for what feels like the longest time and finally did about a month ago.  Yeah, just processing it now.

Just bought Midnight in the Graveyard by Robert McCammon and a bunch of other authors I'm too lazy top type out.

Horror short story collection.  One of the book groups I'm a member of is reading it this month and I'm finally jumping in.  Bought this one about 15 minutes ago.  Better late than never I guess.  :)

Octavia E Butler's Xenogenesis and Earthseed series.  I need to read more of her work.  I've liked what I've read so far.

Was missing the 4th book of Charles Stross' Laundry Files series so finally picked that up.  Now that I have the complete series, I have no good reason to not read them now.

I've adored other books of his such as Glass House (really good).

And, if you ask why I go through the effort of processing

bad book covers

incorrect publishing information

completely garbage tags

misspelled author names

One of the books was published BY AMAZON and Amazon didn't even list a publisher at all in that book.

And, I have just realized that I screwed up an author name  on my previous round of processing.  One of my favorite authors too.

meyery2k

"What If" is a great read. I finished "Children of Ruin". Loved it. 

Slogging through some alternative history.  Like space opera, most of it is pretty bad. 

Kit

I've never been much of a fan of alt history, though there have been some exceptions. 

I was trying to read the Pip and Flinx series by Alan Dean Foster. Ugh, so very much not worth the effort. Mr Fuzzy got them cheap but I have no idea why he bothered. He doesn't even like the author. 

We've got both audible and downpour credits built up so I'm planning on grabbing some today. 

The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher
Recursion by Blake Crouch
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. 

Some people spend their money on cars, entertainment systems, tickets for movies, shows, sports events, clothes, or similar. I buy books. :)

Edited by Kit

Kit

Mr Fuzzy and I are currently having an argument in regards to publication order or chronological order.  We also picked up the last two books in the Witcher series yesterday (finally all translated!) and we're arguing on their order.  I prefer publication order.  There are a couple of exceptions, like Barrayar really fits best after Shards of Honor instead of later in the series and the two books were really written as a single book, but those are rare.  Using the same example, I would never recommend Falling Free be the first book people read in the Vorkosigan series, though its the first chronologically.

Yeah, I already know how people are going to respond to the above.  :D

Kit

Started The Twisted Ones last night.

So far its exactly what I was in the mood for.  :)

Within the first few pages it managed to creep me out and make me laugh.  Always a good sign.  :)

Kit

Note to self.

Do not go walking at night down a dark lonely road while listening to an extremely creepy book.

"I made faces like the faces on the rocks, and I twisted myself about like the twisted ones, and I lay down flat on the ground like the dead ones."

Kit

I liked that story.  Its another one I tend to grab this time of year when I'm wanting creepy.

I'm a bit odd when it comes to horror and I would say that most horror fans would be adamant that I am not a fan of horror.  And, in some ways, I guess I am not.

I've never been a fan of slasher films.  Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Alien and similar never had much draw for me.  I mean, yeah, they have the jump out and scare you moments, but I always felt stuff like that was kind of cheap.  Fall backs because they didn't know how to be genuinely scary.

The serial killers, psychopaths and similar never did anything for me either.  Because they are too real maybe?  Turn on the evening news and you'll get murderers and psychopaths a plenty.  What I like about the horror I like is the unexplained.  Or, to put it better, that which cannot be explained.  Not because the author is just lazy or incompetent, but because it is something so outside what we know that it cannot be fully comprehended. 

I'm not fond of the graphic, because, seriously, my imagination is way more wild than anything an author could describe in graphic detail.  Give me hints or glimpses and nothing more, and my mind will go wild.

Edited by Kit

1967rs

Interesting thread.  I'm not sure I fit bookworm these days since I listen but to books so...

Anyway I started back in the 90's when I lived in Vegas.  I worked at a place that didn't care if you listened to music or books on tape as long as you could do your job.  Most libraries didn't have these yet so I bought them.  Up until 2 years ago I had hundreds of unabridged audio books.  We moved into a smaller house and with the advent of MP3 files and Audible.com I hadn't really used them much and they were in boxes.  One day I took them all down to a second hand place whose proceeds helped local kids.

My listening pleasures are pretty vanilla I guess, Tom Clancy, Grisham, Stephen King, along that line.  When my seasonal issue appear I tend to avoid too much Stephen King however.  Right now I'm making my way thru the Jack Reacher series.

vic 

Kit

I listen to a lot of audiobooks as well.  I spend a lot of time in my car commuting and I suspect would go nuts without something to keep me occupied.  My husband and I also started collecting audiobooks in the 90s on audio tape, went to CDs and gladly on to digital.  Many years ago we actually went through the process of converting all of the audiotape and CDs into digital.

So, I mentioned I had been reading The Twisted Ones.  Good book, very good book.  Great characters, great environment.  Just looking at it as a story, its excellent.  However, if you look at it from a horror perspective, it has some faults.  The first, is the fact that it purposefully break tension before it has a chance to really build.

An example:  monster is literally pounding on the front door, trying to get into the house.  Tension builds, and then one of the characters makes a quip that has me laughing my rear off and completely dissolving that tension that had been built up.

The second is the resolution.  It was almost a little anti climatic, in some ways kind of sad and pathetic.

But again, the book was excellent in so many ways, but fizzled a bit from a strictly horror perspective.

I'm currently listening to The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.  Fascinating book but wow, this is one you really need to concentrate on.  So far, it has been well worth the effort though.  :)

Basic premise.  There are people in the world who, after they die, are reborn in the exact same time and exact same circumstances they had been born in previously, but with knowledge of their previous times around.  And the story is not told in chronological order (not a big deal) but not in order of lives either.  It can be work to keep track of it all.  I shudder to think of the mass of notes the author had to have had in order to keep it all straight.

Next up will likely be Recursion by Blake Crouch.  I loved a previous book of his called Dark Matter and so I'm looking forward to this one as well.  :)

Kit

I had the benefit of getting Veteran's day off.  Downside, no Christmas Eve off.  Not my choice, oh well.

Anyway, there has been an amazing convergence in the universe which culminated in me not having very much that needs to have gotten done this weekend.  Whoohoo!!!  Idle three day weekend!

And, because I didn't have to be constantly on the move, I put my audiobook on hold and been reading ebooks and doing a lot of snuggling with Mr Fuzzy in the mornings.  Ha!  Another benefit of not having to eat breakfast anymore.  :)

I finally finished A Blink of the Screen.

I can't remember if I mentioned before, but I picked up the Forward Collection.  A group of 6 stories by 6 different authors and published by Amazon.  Its available on Kindle Unlimited for free.  Might also be free with Prime.  Its rarely I hit a collection of stories where I like most or all of them.  I've read four, two more to go, and the worst thing I have to say is "its excellent".

Emergency Skin by N. K. Jemisin

Excellent story, and as it progresses, everything takes a different view.  I literally started laughing as I saw where it was going.  I've loved everything of hers I have read.

Summer Frost by Blake Crouch.  Yep I've mentioned him before.  In fact, the audiobook I have on hold is one of him.

Wow, just wow

Ark by Veronica Roth

A somewhat melancholy story that makes one somewhat introspective.

Randomize by Andy Weir

Quite creative look at quantum computing

Two more to go by authors I haven't read before.  Hoping they are just as good as the others.

Kit

Finished Recursion.  It was really quite excellent.

I was reminded the new Witcher series on Netflix premiers next month.  And I need to have all the books read before I start the series.  I've already read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, but its been so long (took a while for the books to all get translated), so I will be rereading them.  Time for me to get moving.

First up:  Sword of Destiny

Edited by Kit

Kit

Ok, I get to admit Mr Fuzzy was correct and it makes much more sense for The Last Wish to come before Sword of Destiny.

So, finished both as well as the first main book in the series, Blood of Elves.

Started Time of Contempt on my way home this evening.