Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

art

Avandia

art

FDA panel is suggesting restrictions be eased or eliminated.

Any comments?

Art

ramon

Avandia was the worst thing that happened to me. My old quack promised me this was a miracle drug when I was diagnosed around 1995. Within days my feet and legs retained a lot of water retention and the legs started turning red below the knees and now very sensitive to the touch. There are better alternatives out there so I suggest staying away.

Harold

Took it for ten years with no problems. Then in 2011 when I was in the hospital they gave me Actos, because the hospital did not carry Avandia. Four days of that and I swelled up like a balloon with endema. Still could not see my ankles when released so they gave me a prescription for lantus. Took me more than a month for the swelling to go down and my doctor wanted me to stay on insulin instead of resuming the Avandia. My control had been very good while on the Avandia, but it was showing signs of becoming ineffective. Would I try it again, sure and I would keep an eye out for any swelling. As far I was concerned it was the Actos on top of the Avandia in my system that caused the endema.

jims_forum
Took it for ten years with no problems. Then in 2011 when I was in the hospital they gave me Actos, because the hospital did not carry Avandia. Four days of that and I swelled up like a balloon with endema. Still could not see my ankles when released so they gave me a prescription for lantus. Took me more than a month for the swelling to go down and my doctor wanted me to stay on insulin instead of resuming the Avandia. My control had been very good while on the Avandia, but it was showing signs of becoming ineffective. Would I try it again, sure and I would keep an eye out for any swelling. As far I was concerned it was the Actos on top of the Avandia in my system that caused the endema.

Actos nearly nailed my kidneys plus swelling and water retention. Joke is that actos - japanese kissing cousin of avandia can make body absorb more glucose whne insulin is doing nothing. Kidney Doctor wanted me off that stuff and I did and finally got blood glucose under control. For me metformin is hauling back excess glucose release by liver

jtausch

That's why after reading and hearing about all the side effects of medicines I am glad I was put on insulin. best control I ever had. and if I have anything to say about will never go off, unless they find a cure for diabetes!

Harold

Metformin did not do much for me, and Januvia did nothing. Whatever the Avandia acted on it nailed whatever my control problem was.

jims_forum
Metformin did not do much for me, and Januvia did nothing. Whatever the Avandia acted on it nailed whatever my control problem was.

Interesting comments. I like your avatar picture. Years ago in Engineering school, they would run road runner film festivals to amuse the inmates.

netsavy006
FDA panel is suggesting restrictions be eased or eliminated.

Any comments?

Art

I know I am replying to an old thread but I was wondering if they came up with a decision and if so what it was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.