Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PlumBaby

Really Worried

PlumBaby

Hi, I' almost 14 weeks and my blood sugars were not so perfect when I found out. My A1C was 7.7 . My BS have been a lot better lately but last night I was low around midnight so I woke up for a snack. When I woke up this morning it was 380!!!! Took some fast acting insulin and waiting for it to go down. It's 169 now with a double arrow down. DId anyone ever spike this high and still had healthy babies?

Kathryn10

I'm sure a lot of people spike this high and have healthy babies. Try not to stress out about it too much. Just do the best you can with your monitoring and you (and your baby) should be fine. There are a lot of t1 women out there who do not have great control over their bgs but go on to have perfectly healthy babies ... that being said, you don't want to take any chances so do the best you can and keep your bgs as close to normal as possible. I know it's easier said than done but it's worth it. I'm 30 weeks pregnant with baby #2. I think I've see my bg in the 300s once this pregnancy. With the hormones and you probably not feeling 100% all the time, bad readings are bound to happen here and there.

PlumBaby

Thanks Kathryn, you're right. It's so hard though. I try to stay in the 70-150 range, but sometimes those highs just happen. Have been doing really well all day today. How were your bs with your first baby?

rubidoux

I am sure I had some b/s's in the 300s during my second pregnancy. As Kathryn said, I am sure that it happens all the time to women who have healthy babies. I also think that after the first nine weeks, you don't have to worry so much about the baby's organs being damaged.

Diabetic pregnancies are pretty nerve wracking. But I really don't think you should worry about that one incident.

Lizzie G

Please try not to worry. By 14 weeks all the organs are formed, the biggest danger period in terms of deformities is from the time you conceive to about 8 weeks. whilst it is very important to do your best to keep good control and this is important for a healthy placenta, a normal sized baby etc, you cant cause a heart defect or anything at this stage.

PlumBaby
I am sure I had some b/s's in the 300s during my second pregnancy. As Kathryn said, I am sure that it happens all the time to women who have healthy babies. I also think that after the first nine weeks, you don't have to worry so much about the baby's organs being damaged.

Diabetic pregnancies are pretty nerve wracking. But I really don't think you should worry about that one incident.

Thanks Jayne, feeling a lot better now and BS back to normal. It's just really hard not to over compensate when you're having a bad low.

Kathryn10

Very true and that's why you shouldn't worry too much! With my first daughter my a1c was near 7 when I conceived. She was a complete surprise and I had also just switched to using an insulin pump, which was great because I was then able to get my a1cs into the mid 5s for the remainder of the pregnancy. This pregnancy was more planned, and my a1c was in the mid 5s to begin with, and has been 5.2 for the majority of the pregnancy. Now that I've had a lot of work-related stress and insulin resistance due to being in the 3rd trimester I know that my next a1c will be higher.

mrsej

I am pregnant with #3 right now but with my first two, I definitely had readings in the 300s. My A1cs were in the low 6s, high 5s. With #3, I have hit quite a few 300s - harder to pay attention to what is going on with work and 2 little ones. My A1c is 6.2 but trying to get it lower. I just try and lower the highs as best as a I can. The key is not to be high for extended periods of time.

PlumBaby

Thank you all so much. Am feeling a lot better. What a roller coaster ride this is. I just had my A1C done last week. Am hoping for a better # this time. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.