Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChelseaM

Help!!

ChelseaM

Hi! I'm new to this! I have had T1 for 15 -16 years now and have always had poor control, I've had many many admissions to hospital with DKA. Being only 18 I've just found out I'm pregnant, my levels are better than they used to be but still not ideal! I go for a scan tomorrow to see how far along I am, it expected about 5-9 weeks along.

I'm deciding to keep the baby but am so nervous about keeping my sugars under control. I was wondering if anyone with a pump can tell me if that would help me right now ? Are they actually really beneficial? I want to do anything and everything to protect my baby and myself from harm. I know what I should and shouldn't be eating but I've found that I can't eat as much anymore and my levels spike up randomly, sometimes even too low.

Anyone ?! Any opinions are welcome! Please help!

Chelsea.

Maggiegong

Sorry to hear you're struggling with all of this. I don't have any knowledge of this but there are lots of T1s around who I'm sure will help.

patricia52

My Daughter in law is a T1. She just delivered a health, normal sized son a few weeks ago. She was on MDI. She managed to keep very good control with Lantus and Humalog. Congrats on the BeeBee.

briargate

Welcome Chesea - congratulations. So happy you are convicted to do your best to keep baby healty, I had diabetes for almost twenty years before I delivered a health baby 25 years ago. I did not have a pump back then, but checked my blood sugars regularly and had a good diabetes team to help me get thru the pregnancy. Do you see an endocronologist for your diabetes? Your insulin needs can change dramatically throughout your pregnancy. Keep researching and keep your BGS in control. that is the best you can do for your new baby. Talk to your doc or DE about the pump. A pump will not magically control your diabetes, You have to work just as hard with a pump when controlling, You are the decision maker.

Keep us posted on how you are doing,

ChelseaM

Thanks guys!

I have been doing sugars very regularly but mine still is not were I want it. It's not horrible but it's taking a lot of work. I see educators, doctors and dietians all in one at a clinic once a month, but I would like to see someone maybe every few weeks for the first part of my pregnancy. Just not sure who to turn to! I used to use language as well! I think I'll have a chat with my docs in two weeks time and see about getting back on that. I think it will help ATM.

Thanks for the support !

Also does anyone know about exercising ? I was trying to loose a little weight when I found out.. Is the treadmill going to cause to much stress to my body or should I ask an expert

Chelsea :)

mom24grlz

congratulations on your pregnancy. I don't know anything about type 1 and pregnancy, but as for exercise. I'd ask your obgyn or midwife. As long as there's no bleeding and you're having a healthy pregnancy there probably is no reason why you shouldn't exercise. But again make sure with your caregiver. I exercised throughout all 4 of my pregnancies. And with my 2nd daughter exercised while in labor LOL! Not that i recommend that, but i was in denial despite having contractions every 4 minutes while i exercised.

ChelseaM

Saw my doctors and apparently I'm not aloud to exercise until 12 weeks, I also found out that I'm two more days ahead the. Originally thought:)

Thanks for the help guys!

Steal

I was always advised that it depends on your exercise levels pre-pregnancy. I was told that it was about not jarring the body, so if you were used it it and it was in your routine, it would be a part of your "normal" activity. I did lots of walking, but nothing that included lots of jumping. As a high school teacher, I found that work and moving there felt like enough exercise for me. I did pre-natal yoga at the end, but that was just like stretching while having a bowling ball attached. I have a friend that ran marathons throughout both of her pregnancies. She wrote in a pregnancy magazine about it. That just wasn't me, even though I ran before, the idea just made me too worried. Everyone is different and it is good that you checked it out with your doctor.

Lizzie G

As Steph said, the usual advice is to exercise to a level you are used to, ie don't take up new forms of strenuous exercise early in pregnancy. not sure why you would have been recommended not to exercise, are you not used to exercise at all? to be honest i don't think thats great advice, walk for a couple of miles, have a gentle swim; make sure you adjust your insulin/carbs though so you dont end up low.

good luck with getting things under control. pump is good, but you have to know your basics first, its not a magic solution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.