Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrammaBear

more doctor/statin problems

GrammaBear

Please, can someone give me directions on how to relate to my doctor regarding statin drugs? My history with statin drug problems is very long and I will not bore anyone by posting those problems here. I've already been kicked out of one doctor's practice for my refusal to take statin drugs. Today my present doctor's nurse called in regard to my insulin pump supply order and as an after thought she said, "the doctor was looking through your chart and noticed how high your cholesterol is - she wants you on a statin." I asked the nurse if doctor had looked at my allergy list and of course doctor had not. I lost my temper and told the nurse that "no way am I taking a statin drug after the trouble I've had with them in the past, no way".

I guess I should have kept my opinion to myself, but I am scared of being kicked out again. I feel like I am at the end of my rope. :(

jwags

Lots of times I think they don't even check in our files. I know I have Statin Myopthy in my file so my doctor doesn't even order lipid tests because I can't take statins. I'm afraid though when my doctor retires and I have to go to someone else. I think with the new healthcare law there will be protocols that all doctors have to follow or be fined. I also can't take BP drugs because they send my BP crashing. But I will have to fight with a new doctor about that, too. Last year I listened to an i terview with

Dr Mary Vernon on the Jimmy Moore show. Someone asked her how to convince your doctor not to take statins. She basically said, Good Luck but I doubt you will change his mind. She said take the Rx and don't fill it.

GrammaBear
Lots of times I think they don't even check in our files. I know I have Statin Myopthy in my file so my doctor doesn't even order lipid tests because I can't take statins. I'm afraid though when my doctor retires and I have to go to someone else. I think with the new healthcare law there will be protocols that all doctors have to follow or be fined. I also can't take BP drugs because they send my BP crashing. But I will have to fight with a new doctor about that, too. Last year I listened to an i terview with

Dr Mary Vernon on the Jimmy Moore show. Someone asked her how to convince your doctor not to take statins. She basically said, Good Luck but I doubt you will change his mind. She said take the Rx and don't fill it.

This website has a bit of information that I wish was available when I was having the worst statin pain.

Statin Myopathy: Symptoms

I can't speak for anyone else, but the statin pain was far worse than giving birth to both of my children. The doctor doesn't believe me when I tell him/her that I have pain when taking any statin. So discouraging that the Doc doesn't believe me.

notme

What finally got my doctor off my back about statins was my ratio. My HDL was in the 120 range. While my LDL was also high, that made my overall numbers look terrible. My doctor looked at my triglycerides and they were very good. Finally, he did an CRP test to see if there was inflammation. We agreed if my CRP test came back badly, we would look at some type of drug for cholesterol. When my CRP test came back great, he said we would let the subject go until if or when they were not so good. Talk to your doctor about your ratio. If all of your numbers look bad to him and to you, ask about other drugs besides statins.

I feel your pain. Work with your doctor and not against him and you may find he realizes you are knowledgeable and not being non compliant.

ramon

I have no experience in this subject but I'm just wondering if a vegan diet could help with the bad cholesterol numbers. I don't know what to believe about statins anymore. I've heard they are hard on the liver and I've also heard you really don't need them unless you've already had a heart attack. Like I said I wish I knew the truth.

GrammaBear
I have no experience in this subject but I'm just wondering if a vegan diet could help with the bad cholesterol numbers. I don't know what to believe about statins anymore. I've heard they are hard on the liver and I've also heard you really don't need them unless you've already had a heart attack. Like I said I wish I knew the truth.

I wish I knew the truth too Ramon. We might be surprised if we did know it. I had a NMR cholesterol test in Dec 2012 and it indicated although my overall cholesterol is high, the particles themselves are large and fluffy. This supposedly indicates less damage to the artery. I've yet to convince any doctor I've had that the myopathy I experienced with statin drugs was very real and hence my objection to taking statin drugs again. Sending positive thoughts to you as you deal with your particular problems.

GrammaBear

I know for sure that the doctor did not read my chart because I provided the results of the latest fasting cholesterol test I had done 12-2012 and the results of the NMR test also done 12-2012. What is the use of providing test results from other doctors if the present doctor is not going to read them?

notme

I think it is time to sit down with your doctor and discuss his outlook on cholesterol. You are in charge and he must realize that you ultimately take responsibility for your choices. He needs to be good with that. Your an intelligent adult with the knowledge and experience with statins you need. If he does not accept your choice, you really have no choice but to comply or shop for a new physician that will work with you. It is so frustrating when they treat you like an obstinate child.

I went through so many endocrinologists in my area before I found one who didn't have a God like complex. Good luck GrammaBear.

Seagal

Gramabear, so sorry you have to go through this.

I told my doctor I was having leg pain and could not longer take a statin. Someone either on this forum or another said they took Welchol, I mentioned it to her and she said Kaiser didn't have that in their formulary, but they did have Questran. It is a powder in the "light" formula and mixes easily with water. I stopped taking it in March because we went on a long road trip and it was inconvenient, I rebelled, got lazy....take your pick:) I will have to go in for labs and when they aren't where they think they should be, I may start up with the Questran again. It didn't cause any side effects in the month that I took it, you may want to investigate? It can deplete certain vitamins and has a list of cautions like all other meds, but does what a statin does without being a statin. Of course, so does b-3 in large amounts and fish oil.

jwags
This website has a bit of information that I wish was available when I was having the worst statin pain.

Statin Myopathy: Symptoms

I can't speak for anyone else, but the statin pain was far worse than giving birth to both of my children. The doctor doesn't believe me when I tell him/her that I have pain when taking any statin. So discouraging that the Doc doesn't believe me.

When I was going thru this I thought I had a severe case of Fibromyalgia. Every muscle and joint hurt. I could not function and my BP dropped under 100, so I was dizzy all the time. I lost so much weight and my muscles were dissolving in front of my eyes. I felt like I was 90 years old.

janice21475

Sending sympathy to you GrammaBear. A nice lady like you shouldn't have to go through this aggravation. Hugs ((()))

art

let the doc be happy and write the script.

Don't fill it, Don't take it.

When he runs new labs and you're still high look innocent and lie.

Remember the relationship. The doc works for you,

Art

jwags

Before diabetes I was a vegan. My cholesterol numbers were the highest they have ever been as were my bgs.

GrammaBear
I think it is time to sit down with your doctor and discuss his outlook on cholesterol. You are in charge and he must realize that you ultimately take responsibility for your choices. He needs to be good with that. Your an intelligent adult with the knowledge and experience with statins you need. If he does not accept your choice, you really have no choice but to comply or shop for a new physician that will work with you. It is so frustrating when they treat you like an obstinate child.

I went through so many endocrinologists in my area before I found one who didn't have a God like complex. Good luck GrammaBear.

Trying to find a physician who is willing to work with me and not against me IS the problem as far as I'm concerned. It is also the reason I've changed doctors so often. My husband, who is blessed with good health, once asked me why I keep seeing a different doctor. So I asked him to accompany me to several appointments so he could observe for himself just what goes on at an office visit. After he observed the determination of doctors in this area to have everyone who is diabetic on statin drugs - he no longer asks why so many different doctors.

Nancy, you are lucky to find a good Endocrinologist. I live in a much smaller town and there are none in my town. There are however, two Endos in a town about 25 miles away. It takes a minimum of 3-4 months to get an appointment with one of those Endos. My choices are very limited.

GrammaBear
When I was going thru this I thought I had a severe case of Fibromyalgia. Every muscle and joint hurt. I could not function and my BP dropped under 100, so I was dizzy all the time. I lost so much weight and my muscles were dissolving in front of my eyes. I felt like I was 90 years old.

I'm sorry you had so much pain. I can understand your problem because it mirrors the experience I had except for the BP dropping. When I quit the last statin drug I took, it was almost 13 months before the horrible pain left me. I lived on Tylenol or Ibuprofen neither of which are supposed to be good for us on a daily basis I guess.

GrammaBear
let the doc be happy and write the script.

Don't fill it, Don't take it.

When he runs new labs and you're still high look innocent and lie.

Remember the relationship. The doc works for you,

Art

Love your attitude Art. :)

Hooterville
Trying to find a physician who is willing to work with me and not against me IS the problem as far as I'm concerned. It is also the reason I've changed doctors so often. My husband, who is blessed with good health, once asked me why I keep seeing a different doctor. So I asked him to accompany me to several appointments so he could observe for himself just what goes on at an office visit. After he observed the determination of doctors in this area to have everyone who is diabetic on statin drugs - he no longer asks why so many different doctors.

Nancy, you are lucky to find a good Endocrinologist. I live in a much smaller town and there are none in my town. There are however, two Endos in a town about 25 miles away. It takes a minimum of 3-4 months to get an appointment with one of those Endos. My choices are very limited.

25 miles isn't terribly far. If you want to see one, make an appointment. Once you get in and are an established patient, you generally don't have to wait 3 to 4 months for another appointment. You just make your follow-up appointment as you exit the current appointment. Should emergencies arise, the doctor will generally get you in when you are established.

Gramma, how about asking one of these docs for a heart scan to see how your arteries are doing with plaque? It eliminates all the guessing about how our hearts are doing.

Haniwitch

I think I’d better give my doctor a big hug next time I see her. She has mentioned (mostly just in passing) that she has been told that diabetics over forty should be on statins. I’m assuming it was some sort of recommendation from our medical association. But she hasn’t mentioned it since and when I had my yearly physical a few weeks ago all my results were good so it didn’t come up then. I have turned her down on other things so she probably knows better than to bring it up unless my numbers suddenly take a real bad turn for the worst. She makes the recommendations and it’s up to me whether to follow them or not. And so far she hasn’t told me to find another doctor when I don't listen to her.

patricia52

Im 61. My doctor has not recommended statins, possibly because I have great numbers. Saw him Monday and he said my control was so good that he did not think we needed to do any labs. Yay DF for teaching me what I need to know.

Bill_Iowa

Doctors are taught..."all diabetics should be on statins, no exceptions". Most doctors have electronic medical records software. I'm guessing 100% of medical records software prompts the doctor to prescribe statins to all diabetics. All that data from medical records software shows up in data analysis reports. Every diabetic that refuses to takes statins (and is noted in the software) comes back as a medical quality issue for your doctor. If you don't take your statin medicine, your doctor has to deal with some administrative person who either chastises or financial penalizes him or her for poor quality.

Your doctor is probably more concerned about negative feedback than if a statin is good or bad for your overall health. Doctors aren't listening to patients (side effects) like they should. Doctors aren't weighing pros versus cons regarding taking statins. With this way of taking care of patients, doctors are no better than talking to a kiosk. Good luck with getting a machine to actually listen to your concerns.

People have heart attacks. Some of them take statins, some don't. Some live, some die. Look up the UCLA study. Some doctors look at it and say it proves that statins are practically worthless. Others see the study and want to re-double their efforts on statin therapy. Each of us needs to research the pros and cons of taking statins and make up our own minds on the matter.

Statins and other drugs have medical side effects. One side effect that is rarely mentioned is the monetary cost of drugs. It wasn't that long ago that statins cost over $200 per month (and some still do). Actos costs over $200 per month. Byetta, Januvia, Victoza and similar drugs can cost hundreds of dollars per month. It doesn't take much for medicines to financially harm the end-user (bankruptcy or lower quality of financial life), either in higher premiums or out-of-pocket costs. Maybe you're lucky to have really good insurance (with low-cost premiums) to pay for any and all drugs a doctor may prescribe. You may not have to pay for it, but some else is paying for it. Some medicines are absolutely necessary. Some aren't. Evaluate the pros and the cons (side effects and cost).

jims_forum
Doctors are taught..."all diabetics should be on statins, no exceptions". Most doctors have electronic medical records software. I'm guessing 100% of medical records software prompts the doctor to prescribe statins to all diabetics. All that data from medical records software shows up in data analysis reports. Every diabetic that refuses to takes statins (and is noted in the software) comes back as a medical quality issue for your doctor. If you don't take your statin medicine, your doctor has to deal with some administrative person who either chastises or financial penalizes him or her for poor quality.

Your doctor is probably more concerned about negative feedback than if a statin is good or bad for your overall health. Doctors aren't listening to patients (side effects) like they should. Doctors aren't weighing pros versus cons regarding taking statins. With this way of taking care of patients, doctors are no better than talking to a kiosk. Good luck with getting a machine to actually listen to your concerns.

People have heart attacks. Some of them take statins, some don't. Some live, some die. Look up the UCLA study. Some doctors look at it and say it proves that statins are practically worthless. Others see the study and want to re-double their efforts on statin therapy. Each of us needs to research the pros and cons of taking statins and make up our own minds on the matter.

Statins and other drugs have medical side effects. One side effect that is rarely mentioned is the monetary cost of drugs. It wasn't that long ago that statins cost over $200 per month (and some still do). Actos costs over $200 per month. Byetta, Januvia, Victoza and similar drugs can cost hundreds of dollars per month. It doesn't take much for medicines to financially harm the end-user (bankruptcy or lower quality of financial life), either in higher premiums or out-of-pocket costs. Maybe you're lucky to have really good insurance (with low-cost premiums) to pay for any and all drugs a doctor may prescribe. You may not have to pay for it, but some else is paying for it. Some medicines are absolutely necessary. Some aren't. Evaluate the pros and the cons (side effects and cost).

Bill_iowa:

Special thanks for indepth comments and issues re-statins.

Vilya

I finally had a calcium heart scan, because my doctor was after me about statins. It came back with a score of 0, which means NO plaque build-up in my arteries. The cardiologist I went to still thinks I should be on a statin, but because of the 0 score and the fact that my BG is at non-diabetic numbers, he agreed to just monitor me and have me do the calcium scan every couple of years. It's kind of hard to argue with a calcium score of 0!

Had the test come back showing plaque buildup, I would have agreed to try a low dose of statins, with the understanding that I would stop taking them should any side effects occur.

My cardio gave me samples of a drug called Zetia, which is a cholesterol blocker, not a statin. I really don't anything about it (and decided not to take it), but it's something to maybe check into as a possible compromise?

GrammaBear
I finally had a calcium heart scan, because my doctor was after me about statins. It came back with a score of 0, which means NO plaque build-up in my arteries. The cardiologist I went to still thinks I should be on a statin, but because of the 0 score and the fact that my BG is at non-diabetic numbers, he agreed to just monitor me and have me do the calcium scan every couple of years. It's kind of hard to argue with a calcium score of 0!

Had the test come back showing plaque buildup, I would have agreed to try a low dose of statins, with the understanding that I would stop taking them should any side effects occur.

My cardio gave me samples of a drug called Zetia, which is a cholesterol blocker, not a statin. I really don't anything about it (and decided not to take it), but it's something to maybe check into as a possible compromise?

Your heart scan score is awesome :) You must be doing something right. I also tried Zetia and experienced the same severe muscle and joint pain that statins cause. I made a list of the statins and non-statins I had been prescribed over the past years and presented it to the nurse at my present doctors office. She looked at it and handed it back to me with the statement "No one could possibly be allergic to all of these meds".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.