Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrammaBear

more doctor/statin problems

GrammaBear
gramabear, have you checked out the Questran I mentioned (or Welchol) as a substitute for statins?

Welchol is also on my list of non-statin meds that caused muscle pain. I took regular Questran before my diagnosis with diabetes and light questran after the diagnosis. Unfortunately it did absolutely nothing for me in spite of maximum dose. The last Endocrinologist I saw recommended fiber in the form of ground flaxseed meal and also a hefty dose of fish oil daily.

Seagal

Ok, thanks for your response, I haven't had my lipid test and have no idea if it will work for me or not. To be fair, I would have to start taking it again for a few months to see if it does any good. A forum member (Hammer) uses the Welchol and that is where I got the idea.

Guest AnnC
I have no experience in this subject but I'm just wondering if a vegan diet could help with the bad cholesterol numbers. I don't know what to believe about statins anymore. I've heard they are hard on the liver and I've also heard you really don't need them unless you've already had a heart attack. Like I said I wish I knew the truth.
I'm on a ketogenic diet, after going LCHF soon after diagnosis. My triglycerides and LDL dropped in 3 months while my HDL climbed. I now have the best Total/HDL ratio my doctor has ever seen. My LDL rose a little recently, but tests have shown that this is because most of the particles are particle A.

Guest AnnC

I was put on Crestor (a statin) long before my D diagnosis. It gave me sore muscles, so my doctor put me on Lipidil (a fenofibrate). That sent me to the brink of total kidney failure. Luckily that reversed quickly when I stopped taking the Lipidil, and the doctor said she'd find something else for me to take. I looked her in the eye and said, 'Don't bother'. So my record now says, quite clearly, 'cannot take cholesterol medication'. One of her colleagues once tried to make me reconsider, explaining that they prescribe statins for all diabetics because they treat us as having had our first heart attack. I explained again why I refused to take them and pointed to my current lipid panel. No further argument.

adiantum

What tests did they run Ann?

. ............................... but tests have shown that this is because most of the particles are particle A.

GrammaBear

Could she be referring to the NMR lipid profile? I had one of those done in Dec 2012 and in spite of my overall cholesterol being too high, the 'particles' are large and fluffy.

Guest AnnC
What tests did they run Ann?
You can get an APO-B run under Medicare as long as your doctor doesn't request an HDL-C at the same time. Or you can pay money and get a Lipoprotein test done by Imupro. They have to send the sample to the US for testing.

adiantum

Thanks.

Ann, which did you have done?

Ive asked a couple of times & just get told its not available

You can get an APO-B run under Medicare as long as your doctor doesn't request an HDL-C at the same time. Or you can pay money and get a Lipoprotein test done by Imupro. They have to send the sample to the US for testing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.