Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alyriv

Does this get easier?

Alyriv

I was recently diagnosed (within last two months) with T1.5. I am currently honeymooning and not on any medications. I have been pretty good about limiting my carbs but still slip up from time to time. I have been suffering with nausea early in the morning and late at night. Unfortunately I have a crazy schedule and am up for long periods of time. Is there anything I could be doing to avoid the nausea? To treat it? I am afraid of spiking my bg out of ignorance. In the past I would eat a snack and be fine, usually a very carby/sugary snack. Admittedly, I have always had poor eating habits and very little knowledge about proper nutrition

rubidoux

First, diabetes can be so overwhelming in the beginning. I swear it will get better!

I'm not sure about the nausea, though. Did you have this problem before you you started eating low carb? And what is your current diet like?

Alyriv

Before low carb I had really bad heartburn easily managed with antacids but not a lingering nausea. I'm trying to cut carbs I phases. By that I mean I didn't just cut them altogether from the beginning. I was instructed to keep it under 45 g of total carb/ meal. So that's where I started and I felt so energized in the beginning nd my heartburn was gone. I have since cut them further to around 25-30 g carb/ meal, mostly in veggies. I'm not sure if it is related to my digestive problems that seem to have gone away, the occasions when I slip up and eat a higher carb meal, or it just my body's way of saying you need a snack now.

I am wary of snacking too late because I have noticed that my bg is higher the less sleep I get and don't want to spike them further by eating too late.

patricia52

Since you are a type 1.5, I am surprised the doctor has not started you on insulin. Maybe he wants you to learn how to count carbs first. I suspect the nausea is caused by blood sugar spikes. Check you BG when you are feeling nauseous. Some carbs cause me to spike more than others. Keep a food journal/blood sugar journal and you will figure out which foods are causing the spikes so you can avoid them or limit them. You are definitely on the right track. It will get easier.

NoraWI

I get nausea and it's related to heartburn (reflux) which, in turn, is related to the vagus nerve being affected after over 10 years of T1. With LADA we don't know how long the autoimmune battle has been going on within our bodies and some damage has already been done upon diagnosis. I find that drastically limiting my carbohydrate intake and small low- to no-carb snacks work to give me relief since I get nausea when my stomach is empty but still contains acid. I have also tried frequent small meals rather than 3 big ones each day and it did work for me. But I find it hard to actually stop and fix and eat multiple times a day.

Book Woman

I have only been testing for two weeks and already am seeing some success. At first I was focused on carbs, exercise, testing and just experimenting with different foods. All my time seemed to be consumed with this. But now I have a list of foods that I know will not spike my BG and it seems to be easier to just live and not be obsessed with everything. One thing that I have noticed is that walking my dogs after a meal lowers my BG by 20. It is getting easier and less stressful as time goes by.

NMSunshine

If you are nauseous and think you can handle a snack without making it worse, why not try a low carb snack? String cheese, handful of raw almonds, hardboiled egg just something to put in your stomach to help teh nausea.

Alyriv

Thanks for all the feedback! I still get overwhelmed with everything and am def gonna try some of those tricks :-)

Guest AnnC
Before low carb I had really bad heartburn easily managed with antacids but not a lingering nausea. I'm trying to cut carbs I phases. By that I mean I didn't just cut them altogether from the beginning. I was instructed to keep it under 45 g of total carb/ meal. So that's where I started and I felt so energized in the beginning nd my heartburn was gone.
I had severe gastric reflux at diagnosis and went low carb cold turkey. The gastric reflux disappeared overnight with stopping wheat-based products. Nobody told me that before it happened, so I really didn't expect it. :)

Alyriv

When I cut my carbs down my heartburn basically vanished and like you nobody warned me. I'm just worried that this nausea is the heartburn coming back Or even my body telling me that I'm doing something wrong and not having a clue how to fix it. With no Medical I'm trying to not have to go back on Prilosec as the insulin is sure to be costly at least until I can find coverage I can afford

statdeac

Stay engaged in the process.  Though it doesn't really get 'easier', it does help to be intentional.  Best of luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.