Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slogrl

Mom has Diabetes - Trying to keep myself healthy and looking for support!

slogrl

Hi, My name is Rebecca and I live in coastal California. My mom is currently staying with me as she battles a bone (staph) infection in her toe. She is receiving a PICC antibiotic to treat the infection, which is directly related to her diabetes. She cut her toe and didn't notice/see and it became infected. Anyway, this is just one problem out of many that she has. I am just looking for some support as I try to help her, and keep my own anger/disappointment in check. She has been diabetic since age 40 (now 62) and has never done a good job keeping up with meds, testing and keeping her weight down.

Looking forward to chatting with others on this forum.

Thanks.

Seagal

Hi, welcome to the forum slogrl! Read around the different posts and gather information as you go. Ask as many questions as you like, people here are real friendly and will try to help.

If your mom hasn't been taking care of her diabetes for 22 years, there isn't much you can do except be her support, but your knowledge will be helpful. Any idea what her last Hba1c (a test showing the blood sugar over a 3 month period)was or what her meter reading are when she wakes up and 2 hrs. after meals? Does she know that getting her numbers in range can perhaps save her from complications that could be dire? Not knowing she cut her foot is probably a result of neuropathy, one of the results of high blood sugar. What type of meds is she on (when she takes them)?

Hope you find some support here, again, ask whatever questions you may have.

Carolina Girl

Hey Rebecca, looks like your post was a while back so don't know if you will see this. I wanted to just say that I understand your needing support regarding your Mom. My Mom was just diagnosed with "prediabetes" and she already has so many other health problems....it's overwhelming. I'm new here too & just trying to find my way around. I just wanted to say I admire you for trying to look after her - they are very precious to us. Hang in there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.