Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdavis506

Lantus and Gel Packs

bdavis506

Hi, I'm new to this forum. About 2 months ago, I started using insulin, and am currently using the Lantus pen. The instructions for storage state that once I remove the Lantus pen from the refrigerator, I should not put it back in the refrigerator. The instructions also state that I should keep the Lantus under 86 degrees. Next month, I will be visiting a friend who does not have air conditioning in his house and it is possible that the ambient temperatures in the house could get above 86 degrees. I've been looking at gel packs as a possible solution, but thought that might be considered refrigerating the Lantus. Do anyone have possible solutions for this situation?

Thanks

Bob

Bountyman

It's not a hard and fast rule not to put your Solostar pen back in the refrigerator...it's just not necessary. As to the 86 degrees rule, they're not too clear on that...other than don't do it. Your Solostar pen should last 28 days if you're injecting 11 units a day. If you're injecting more...the time will be less. When I was using the Solostar pen I used 25 units a night. The pen lasted 12 days.

Here's the deal on pen/vial life. A pen or vial not opened and refrigerated can last for years. The last box of pens I got was on March 5th. The expiration on the box is July 2015. That's over 2 years. The caution here concerns contamination and how fast temperature helps it progress. A pen usually doesn't get contaminated. If you wipe the tip of the pen with alcohol before you screw on the sterile pen needle...the chances of introducing any contaminants are pretty much zero to zip. A vial, that's different. With a vial you have to inject air into it. I think the 86 degree ceiling has to do with how fast contaminants react, verses the 28 day rule. Maybe with a pen going over 86 degrees every day...the pen's efficacy can only be guaranteed for 27 days...or 25 days...or 20 days. I don't know...and they're not sayin'.

So, I guess it boils down to how long you're going to stay with your friend..verses how much Lantus you wanna bring. Keeping the Solostar pen(s) in your friend's refrigerator won't hurt anything.

If the cold insulin stings...cowboy up! :ridinghor

Lloyd

Google FRIO. It is an insulin storage device that uses evaporative cooling. It will keep insulin at greater than refrigerator temps, but less than 86F. It works great for something like a two week camping trip with no power. Fine for an opened vial or pen.

-Lloyd

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.