Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrnEyes84

What a relief

GrnEyes84

As much as I want a child it is a bit if a relief that I am not pregnant right now. I want to be on the right supplements and have my A1C in control before any of that happens. At this point I am not sure I am even able to have children. I have been trying for a while and it still hasn't happened. I will be talking to the doctor about fertility drugs and stuff after I get everything else in control. I am on the right track though and going to do things the right way!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes forums

ramon

I'm glad you are happy and don't worry, I'm sure you will be a fine mom one day. My oldest daughter who is 36 gave me a wonderful grandson 3 years ago

and he is so healthy and most likely the brightest of the bunch. When you are ready is the right way to go. Go do some fishing at the Cherry Creek reservoir,

its also a fine place to think things out.

GrnEyes84

I know that it is a better idea and plan to do it when I am ready and when my sugars are in control and my A1C is where it's supposed to be, but at the same time I was told with being diabetic and stuff the longer I wait the harder it will be for me. Has anyone else ever been told that by their doctor and is that really the case or is it not?

Lizzie G

Hi

I have type 1 and am pregnant with my second child. I will be 37 next week, and was 35 when I had my son. I conceive very easily. I know others in a similar situation to myself. I'm not sure why doctors say these things as the only time it seems to make a difference is where control is poor it can be more difficult to conceive, and maintain a pregnancy; which makes sense considering the hostile environment high blood sugar creates. The other factor is that apparently women with diabetes (I'm not sure whether T1, T2 or both, and/or the mechanism for this) tend to go through menopause on average several years younger than a woman without diabetes; but I doubt this has much bearing on your fertility in your thirties.

Focus on your control, make sure you are on a 5mg folic acid supplement, and make sure you are eating lots of fresh and raw fruit and vegetables, eating oily fish, and generally looking after yourself to make sure you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. I also take zinc and vitamin B (google their benefits), zinc is important for healthy cell division and hence reproduction, and vitamin B is important for hormonal balance. I have also found it really improves my energy levels in pregnancy.

Good Luck!

GrnEyes84

How much vitamin B and zinc do you take or what is a goose amount? And which vitamin B I know there are several different ones?

k_dub

I am pregnant now with my first child. Tomorrow, I'll be at 12 weeks.

I was off birth control for 5 years and had been misdiagnosed with PCOS. When I finally decided to really start "trying" to have kids this spring, I went to the Advanced Reproductive Medicine department at University of Colorado (Anchutz campus). I'd highly recommend them.

My BG has been in tight control for years before I really decided to start trying. My A1c averages 6.1% prior to conception. I was eating a low carb (about 50g per day), Paleo-ish/whole food diet. For 5 years, I was off birth control and never conceived. I got pregnant within 8 days of seeing the advanced repro doc - they didn't even do anything for me except rule out PCOS! I got pregnant easily once I started really trying, but that was after eating very clean, exercising consistently and taking extremely good care of myself for months prior to that.

I encourage you to keep working on your BG control and try to find a place where everything "clicks".

Have you had your Vitamin D checked? I was talking 2,000iu daily of supplemental Vitamin D. Even with that, my Vit D was extremely low when I had it measured in November, so I increased my Vitamin D to 6,000iu daily at the recommendation of my chiropractor. I think my BG control, Vitamin D levels, clean eating, regular exercise, etc all helped me conceive. Once I was able to get pregnant, I tightened up my control even more. Do you have thyroid issues at all? I am hypothyroid...I also think my ability to conceive was related to being able to get my thyroid in control.

If I remember, you have had a number of health issues. You really want to be in the best health months before conception and be able to sustain it through a pregnancy.

I've had good experiences with the providers that I've seen at University of Colorado. If you want any recommendations, let me know and I can give you some names in a PM.

GrnEyes84

All of my doctors are at university hospital that I see right now. My endo is referring me to the ob there because she is really good. She said they also have a very good fertility department as well. Yes I have had complications and I am on track with my bg and doing everything that I need to. I was also diagnosed with pcos years ago but don't know if I actually have that or not. I am going to get rechecked as soon as I go and see thwart ob. I have heard that has an effect on getting pregnant but really how much of an effect does it have? I just don't want to get to thwart point where I am not able to have a child. I am almost positive that I will only be able to have one as it is anyway!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.