Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deepti

How much carb do you eat during pregnancy?

deepti

Hi Everyone, I am very new to this forum.. I have type 1 diabetes since 22 years and in fairly control. I just found out that I am pregnant(1 month and 5 days). Done with endo visit, OB visit ,CDE visit scheduled next week.. And I am freaking out that my bg is getting on higher side. I am on meditronic pump and cgms. Can not seem to tolerate even 15 gms of carbs at any meal. :( especially after breakfast. And my endo is asking me to eat carbs and maintain bg between 60-90! Anybody have any suggestions? What is the mininmum amount of carb that will be needed through pregnancy?Please help me. Thanks.

Lizzie G

Hi

Congrats on your pregnancy. I eat whatever I want to eat and adjust rates and ratios as necesary. In the early days of pregnancy you will need a lot more insulin to cover your carbs, its not that you cant tolerate them, its that your not taking enough insulin to cover them. It is a good idea to sort this out now because as you start to feel nauseous you may well find the only way to control that feeling is constantly eating carbs!

Do not be afraid to adjust your insulin (and if you're not comfortable doing this you need to talk to an endo quickly) but make sure you carry fast acting glucose in a good supply as it can be easy to overshoot corrections when you're not sure of your exact requirements, and the timing profile of how you come down after a correction can be different to pre-pregnancy and you can end up stacking insulin.

Good luck.

Book Woman

Welcome to the forum! I am Type 2 but you will learn a lot from other Type 1's here! Congrats on your pregnancy! :congrats:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.