Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brandon_H

Looking for some guidance/reassurance. (Retinopathy & Pregnancy)

Brandon_H

So my wife has type 1 diabetes and we have been planning to try and have a baby. I have popped on and off these forums for a good while now to see how people feel/get on (Only so much you can get from a book). We are trying to cover off as much as possible to make it as easy as we can. Anyway my wife has managed to get her blood sugars under decent control and at her last appointment with an average of 6.3 which the nurses seemed very happy with.

So we are planning to go see a GP next and get Folic Acid etc and hopefully start trying towards the end of the year. Anyway my wife received an eye exam which said there had been "Some slight signs of early diabetic changes detected" but there was nothing to be concerned about for now. My wife is now concerned that being pregnant will now increase the likelihood of Diabetic Retinopathy. It is something she is going to discuss when she goes to see the GP soon.

What are people's experience during pregnancy with their eyes and has anyone been in a similar situation? It seems far too easy to worked up over stuff :(

Thank you all in advance.

patricia52

I am a type2 so I don't have any wisdom to pass along. Just wanted to say that it is great that you are concerned about your wife's health.

GrnEyes84

All I've heard is that they will have to keep a close eye on her and her vision. I told my doctor that me and my fiance wanted to start trying and she said with all the complications I have that I would just have to be followed and watched very carefully. That's all I know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes forums

Lizzie G

risk to your organs in pregnancy depends primarily on your control, like at any other time. due to the extra pressures on your organs due to increased blood volume etc during pregnancy, it can sometimes cause faster than usual worsening of existing complications. it does sound like your wifes control is good which really is the most important; you actually might find at the next eye scan the minor damage has repaired itself. in any case, it doesnt sound like something to be worried abput. she should receive extra scans in pregnancy to make sure everythings ok. i did, and i had no pre existing issues. i hope this re assures you. xxx

rubidoux

I also have very slight changes in one eye that have not gotten worse over the last few years. When I was pg w my second, they didn't get worse (my eyes were clean for my first pregnancy). During both pregnancies I saw the eye doc more than once, but I can't remember exactly how much. I want to say a total of three times. I would not let that stop you guys. Truthfully, I feel like I would be a little better off physically if I hadn't had my two pregnancies, but it is still quite likely that I'll die of old age before these complications get me (slight issues w kidneys and the minor eye thing). I certainly wouldn't do anything differently if I could go back. All moms have their battle scars, I'm sure. At least I didn't get all incontinent like some of my non-D friends! lol

Brandon_H

Thank you very much to everyone who had replied I appreciate it. It won't stop us that's for sure but it is just good to actually get the opinion's of people who have actually been through it.

CaitE

Hello -

I am currently 17 weeks pregnant with my first baby - my control before my pregnancy and since has been around 6.1-6.3% which has kept the doctors happy since I'm trying to keep the lows to a minimum. I have had very minor background retinopathy about 1-2 micro aneurysms in each eye since Summer 2011 which is a function of my years of service as a type 1 and is not indicate of control. Some things are just beyond our control in life.

I see an opthamologist each year to monitor the retina and there has been no progression. I know that any 'complications' can seem scary and make you feel like diabetes is such a slippery slope. Since getting pregnant, I have seen the opthamologist once in the first trimester, but they didn't dilate. I go back in August for the second trimester check and will go again once in the third plus a follow up after I deliver. My doctors have absolutely no concerns with the minor background micro aneurysms as my control continues to be good and I am monitored closely. i was told that they may get slightly worse during the pregnancy as Lizzie stated and I am trying to be prepared for this, however, this most often resolves after the pregnancy as I have been told. I wouldn't worry at all and trust your health care team as best as possible!

Best of luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.