Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ais106

High Blood sugars and possibly pregnant question

ais106

Hi everyone. i am new to this forum...thank god I found it! I have Type 1 and am trying to get pregnant. If I am pregnant, I would only be 2-4 weeks along. I feel like I am because over the last few days, my blood sugars have been way out of control for no reason. Even taking insulin to bring them down was impossible. So, I guess I have a two part question. It is too soon to test (conception would have been around the 8th of July according to Ovulation test). Are unexplained high blood sugars an early sign of pregnancy? And, is it dangerous to the baby to have experienced high's in the 200's and once in the 300's?

rubidoux

I think you're still a little early to test, although, once you're done having babies (as I am), somehow all that information is just shunted out of your brain, I suppose to make room for all the stuff you need to know about little ones. Anyway... I want to say that 12 days is about the earliest, iirc. I do think that crazy blood sugar is a sign of pregnancy if you're trying (although, as you know, anything can seemingly cause crazy blood sugar). But if you're pretty on top of your blood sugar and you can't see any other reason for the craziness, I think pregnancy is a good candidate. It was one of the things that clued me for my second pregnancy (don't remember it for my first).

I'm no doctor and I can't swear to this, but I don't think your current blood sugars are at all likely to effect the embryo. I think it becomes more of an issue after implantation and even more when the placenta starts to develop. They say that the first nine weeks are the most important for baby's organ development, so do try to get on top of it (though don't freak out over every out of range reading, I had quite a few my second time around and all in those first 10 or 12 weeks, and it made me crazy! baby was fine) and make an appointment as soon as you see those pink lines!

Good luck! :)

k_dub

Hi ais106:

I'm almost 13 weeks pregnant.

I did have some high BGs around weeks 2-4. You should be able to test at week 4 or 5. In the meantime, do what you can and take a deep breath and relax. It will be ok. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.