Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corvusheart

Newly Diagnosed Type 1

Corvusheart

Hi all.

On June 18th 2013 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I had a DKA episode not knowing what was going on with me. My parents rushed me into the hospital and that's when I was diagnosed. I nearly didn't make it according to the doctor. The symptoms had built up over the span of three months, but at the time I thought it was just me being exhausted from my new job. I've been out of the hospital for a few weeks now, am back to work and such. I use insulin pen injections; Novolog (rapid acting) and Lantus (24 hour basal).

We are still struggling to get my numbers down. It takes 7 hours for my numbers to go down after a meal. I vary from the high hundreds, two hundreds, and low three hundreds. I must've had my 10th increase on my Lantus this week.

I am at 24 units of Lantus, and 15 carbs=1 unit for Novolog and 10 carbs=1 unit for breakfast.

tempest

Welcome Corvusheart. Glad you're doing better. You're doing the right thing seeking out forums like this and learning as much as you can.

ramon

GO VIKINGS..... Hello and welcome, great forum choice. Tell us about yourself and folks will help you out, in many cases better then the doctors can. Have you lost weight? What were you told by the doctors?

Explain your average diet and how much you test your bg and when you test. Let us know and usually in a couple of weeks you should be on the right track. The important thing is to remain calm and don't freak out. We have folks here who have been in the same boat and even written books about it. Some are senior citizens and they will guide you. You might want to order USING INSULIN by John Walsh available at Amazon.com. He will teach you how to get your basal (long lasting) and bolus(short acting) insulin in the correct range and will help you to find your correct insulin to carb ratio. Hope you get involved so others to can learn.

Corvusheart

- Early April: Had just gotten a job at the USPS after working for McDonalds for three years. And my fiancee had just flown in from England to come visit me for a month. At the time I was not experiencing any symptoms and was a healthy 115 lbs (I am small).

-Mid-April: I had a high fever for a day but after that I was okay again. Didn't think much of it. Symptoms of increased thirst begin to appear soon after. At the time I just assume it's because of my new job because there is a lot of physical work.

- Late April: I begin to notice a dramatic drop in weight, I begin to fatigue often, become tired a lot, and my thirst begins to increase even more.

- Early May: My thirst has become excessive, my weight continues to drop, and fatigue starts becoming heavier.

-Late May: Excessive thirst increases, at this point I have developed dry mouth and am urinating often. I lose weight even faster.

- Early June: Going through about 20 water bottles in a 24 hour period. I am always tired and fatigued, and my performance at work is going downhill. I can hardly keep up with anything, and I turn down invitations to hang out with friends because I'm simply too tired and fatigued.

- June 17th: I become very ill at work, very nauseous, and gasping. I continue to work anyways and complete my shift successfully.

-June 18th: I wake up (it's my day off), I eat a tomato and puke it up, I drink water and puke it up, my entire body starts to go into severe pain, I'm panting hard, I'm dizzy, and become incredibly weak to the point where I can no longer walk. My face at once became very pale and sunk back as described by my mom at that point my parents took me to the hospital where I got diagnosed with Diabetes type 1 and was told what I experienced was an episode of DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis). The doctor said I was very close to death and was going in and out of consciousness. When I arrived at the hospital my weight was a mere 87 lbs (I was 115 at the beginning of April).

Present: I am at 100 lbs now and have all my energy back and am no longer thirsty. I'm taking my Lantus (24 units) and have to increase it 3 units every three days if blood glucose is above 130. It seems it doesn't matter how big or small, healthy or unhealthy my meals are I always shoot up to the low 300s and it takes 7 hours to get it back down.

Also my Novolog for my meals I take 10 grams= 1 unit for breakfast and 15 grams=1 unit for the rest of meals. As of right now I am not allowed snacks or to eat between meals at all unless its 0 carbs. I take my lantus at 2:30 am, because that's when I get up for work. I was taking it before I slept but that didn't seem to help my numbers at all so my doctor switched it to wake-up time.

Lloyd

Go Vikings!

I would also get the book "Calorie King", Amazon has that too. The book tells you how much carbohydrate is in which food.

Many people don't get a full 24 hours out of lantus, after 18 or 20 hours it is gone. If you see your numbers are high the last few hours before you take lantus, but are otherwise ok (I know, you are not there yet, but... you will be), then this is likely what is happening. If that's the case, then splitting your lantus half in the morning and half at night will fix that problem.

I know it tries your patience increasing lantus slowly.. been there, done that. You don't want to get too much, having your glucose go low is no picnic at all.

-Lloyd

rubidoux

I'm really sorry this happened to you. :( I am wondering, though, what you were thinking those last few days before you went to the hospital? Did you have some idea that you were really ill? I can't imagine losing a quarter of my body weight without getting worried. Before I was dx'd I was losing weight and eating everything in sight. That was a big clue for me. Not so much the weight loss, but the weight loss while I was eating two full dinners and a gallon of ice cream for dessert -- well, maybe it was a pint, it was 20 years ago, but I could swear I remember a gallon. lol But I never got to the point of DKA. I knew there was something wrong before that and I kept telling my boyfriend (now husband) that I felt like the guy in the diabetes PSA who gets up to go pee every three minutes. And he kept saying I was being paranoid. Well, I wish had been!

One thing that could really help you get your blood sugars down is to reduce your carbs drastically. Alot of people do under 30-ish grams a day. If you decide that you want to keep carbs in your diet (a lot of us have decided is not worth it) you can always add some back. But cutting them out for a while would probably really help you get into control.

How old are you?

Chanson13

That sounds very scary, Corvusheart. I'm sure you will get the insulin dosage and meals figured out. You might try splitting the dosage of the Lantus (take one-half the dose, 2x per day - 2:30 am and 2:30 pm) if it seems to be running out of steam towards the end of the 24 hours. I did that when I was on Lantus. Lots to learn, but don't get discouraged.

ant hill

WOW!!! That what I had 42 Years ago!!! and man I was thin. Weak and tired irritable. Ate if there's no tomorrow.

So welcome to this wonderful site on the web where you can ask questions and help you wherever we can.

Welcome to

Diabetes Forums.

:D:D:D

:T:T

:)

Corvusheart
I'm really sorry this happened to you. :( I am wondering, though, what you were thinking those last few days before you went to the hospital? Did you have some idea that you were really ill? I can't imagine losing a quarter of my body weight without getting worried. Before I was dx'd I was losing weight and eating everything in sight. That was a big clue for me. Not so much the weight loss, but the weight loss while I was eating two full dinners and a gallon of ice cream for dessert -- well, maybe it was a pint, it was 20 years ago, but I could swear I remember a gallon. lol But I never got to the point of DKA. I knew there was something wrong before that and I kept telling my boyfriend (now husband) that I felt like the guy in the diabetes PSA who gets up to go pee every three minutes. And he kept saying I was being paranoid. Well, I wish had been!

One thing that could really help you get your blood sugars down is to reduce your carbs drastically. Alot of people do under 30-ish grams a day. If you decide that you want to keep carbs in your diet (a lot of us have decided is not worth it) you can always add some back. But cutting them out for a while would probably really help you get into control.

How old are you?

Thing is I've always had a fast metabolism and I've always had trouble keeping weight on. My doctor told me I have to eat 60 carb meals to sustain my weight or else I will drop significantly. I am 23 btw. Also I knew something was wrong with me but I just thought I was getting worn down from my job.

aggie168

Hello, welcome to the forum. Once you catch up with your breath, get the two book "Think Like a Pancreas" and "Using Insulin". They are pretty much a must read for us insulin user. Fire questions away and many of us will jump in and try to give you guidance. Non-medical advice, of course. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.