Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kayell

Cost effective, non-scam supplements/foods/activities etc for lowering BG?

kayell

Hello,

I'm a first time poster. I'm diagnosed with pre-diabetes and have had glucometer FBG readings well into the diabetic range in the past, and a few currently. However my most recent HbA1c was 5.4.

I eat a HFLC diet of 25 to 35 net carbs per day. I walk around 3.5 miles per day most days (except when much too hot and humid) and still am having problems with high FBG readings most days - usually in the 110 - 120 range, but occasionally higher. Yesterday was 133!, although today was 99. I can generally keep post meal ranges below 120 and can drop into the 80s sometimes after walking etc.

I'm concerned though because any deviation from this can really pop my numbers up. I don't want to get into full blown diabetes type 2* as my father did with all the horrid complications he faced. Another factor is that I am currently unemployed with no insurance so I can't afford doctors/prescriptions.

Any advice on best supplements/activities/foods or eating patterns to reduce BG, especially the AM spike that are cost and effort effective?

I'm pretty much willing to do anything. Weights are ok, increased activity is ok, although I have difficulties physically with very high heat and humidity. Supplements are ok as are using spices/herbs, whatever, so long as reasonable evidence to make the effort worthwhile. I'm happy to check my own responses with testing, but want a guide to what is worth trying out.

Currently I'm taking a B-complex, zinc, ALA (really expensive - probably will drop unless told worth the $$$), 5000 IU D3, a cinnamon tea (tasty, I'd drink it anyway), magnesium citrate, fish oil, MCT oil. Unfortunately I didn't add these individually so can't figure which are worth it. I'm certain the walking has a major effect.

I've been losing weight, but very gradually. I'm 56 and menopausal.

*I expect that possibly I fit this description now but for the HFLC diet.

Seagal

Welcome to the forum, if you have a "read" around, I'm sure you will find those that swear by certain supplements and those that say they do nothing for them and that is because we are so individual. The supplements/minerals/vitamins you are taking are pretty common for most of us. I take the R-forum of ALA and it is effective and helpful in many ways, I wouldn't give it up (anti-oxidant, anti-aging, protects the mitochondria from free radical damage, etc.....)BTW, the R-form is twice as potent as ALA, but the regular ALA is still a good one to take.

Best wishes.

jwags

Welcome to DF. Many here believe that once your fasting goes above 100 you are already diabetic. It usually means there is already some dysfunction with your pancreas and liver or the signaling between them. Higer morning bgs usually indicate Dawn Phenomenon. DP is when your own stress hormones signal liver to convert glycogen into glucose. In a non diabetic when that happens your pancreas will release insulin to keep fastings in the 70-90 range. So the higher bgs tell me your i sulin response is slowing down. If you already are eating LC your diet is good. You already exercising so that is good. I would not be afraid of a D dx. Metformin taken early can keep fasting in a good range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.