Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Do narcotics effect BG levels?

GAgirl

I have to take an occasional Lortab (generic- hydrocodone 500mgs)and wondered if it will make any changes to my BG readings? Anyone know?

ramon

I used to take hydrocodone 10 over something I don't remember due to cancer and surgeries involved. I found no real difference in bg control after I stopped taking them. WARNING- it is hard on your liver.

GAgirl
I used to take hydrocodone 10 over something I don't remember due to cancer and surgeries involved. I found no real difference in bg control after I stopped taking them. WARNING- it is hard on your liver.

Yes, I know, but when you can't stand the pain anymore from fibromyalgia, you have to do what ch gotta do...I usually only need a half a pill so 250 mgs. When I need the whole pill, you KNOW it's super bad. I take them sparingly as living with CFS and Fibro for so long I can tolerate a good amount of pains.

At least I am helping out my liver with keeping my DM under control...I guess there's a bit of room to screw it up with Pain pills here and there, LOL

janice21475

it is 5mg narcotic and 500mg ibuprofen

the 500mg of ibuprofen is what hurts your liver. It also tears my stomach up. I got my Dr. to prescribe the pills without the ibuprofen and only take 2-3 a week. When the pain stops me from functioning. Sadly she tells me she can not renew the prescription, she will have to refer me to a 'pain management' clinic if I need more. My husband goes to a PM clinic, I do not want to be subjected to the BS they put patients through. Not sure what I will do when these are gone. Guess I will have to play their game. Ugh! No one said getting old was easy. I have to be able to cook/clean to care for myself and my husband and our pets. If I am out of action they don't eat. Well, I guess hubby could eat hotdogs, the dogs, too. But what about making coffee??? (No, my dogs do not get the coffee. :D )

apollo322

the 500mg of ibuprofen is what hurts your liver. It also tears my stomach up. I got my Dr. to prescribe the pills without the ibuprofen and only take 2-3 a week. When the pain stops me from functioning. Sadly she tells me she can not renew the prescription, she will have to refer me to a 'pain management' clinic if I need more. My husband goes to a PM clinic, I do not want to be subjected to the BS they put patients through. Not sure what I will do when these are gone. Guess I will have to play their game. Ugh! No one said getting old was easy. I have to be able to cook/clean to care for myself and my husband and our pets. If I am out of action they don't eat. Well, I guess hubby could eat hotdogs, the dogs, too. But what about making coffee??? (No, my dogs do not get the coffee. :D )

Its a shame they are so crazy about this anymore. I know there's a lot of abuse but clearly you don't "fit the profile" and i'm sure neither does your prescription pattern. Good luck finding an alternative.

Book Woman

Janice - Holy c--p! You mean that ibuprofen hurts the liver? I thought it was just tylenol that caused the liver to go bonkers! I have severe chronic pain and have been taking pain meds with tylenol daily. Now I have to worry about ibuprofen?! :eek:

So, what are the alternatives? Is there anything that can relieve pain and not affect the liver?

GAgirl

You need to tell you doc to get off it!

If you don't abuse these drugs than she/he should have no problem prescribing it unless they don't believe you and then I say fire them and find another doc!

My doc sees that a 30 day supply of Hydrocodone will last me 3-4 months as I half the pills most of the time and only use it when it's really bad. He writes me the precrip., but only while I am in his office, no refills over the phone.

Your doc, IMO, sounds like he/she is more afraid of malpractice suits than of their patients well being. I cannot deal with a doc who is more business minded than ethical and is not there for the "calling to help"...sorry, I get so Pi**ed off as I had so many bad experiences with docs over the years wh would rather push you aside than admit they have no idea what's wrong...egos.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.