Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

1st trip to grocery store since starting LCD...:(

GAgirl

Well....this was my 1st trip to the grocery store shopping for a low-carb diet. It sucked. My head was spinning in the bread aisle, which I won't be going down anymore, but that was my first isle in my usual pre-LCD shopping routine.

Then the cake batter, boxed brownies, pancake, syrup isle made me sigh and have an instant craving...I opened a 100 cal. pack of almonds and downed those 4 carbs...better...

I realized that 99% or more of the store was ****. So depressing shopping, but did buy some good stuff to stock in the fridge and so the diet continues.;):cool:

Seagal

You go around the aisle that is conducive to low carb.....the perimeter which in a lot of stores is the produce, meat & fish, dairy aisle. You don't go down the pre-packaged, processed brownie, cake, syrup aisle....lol! Good call on the pkg. of nuts!

Later on, once you get the hang of it.....THEN you can go down any aisle you want and not be tempted (maybe), but to look for stuff you maybe, just maybe could include....ummm....like Mt. Olive s.f. bread & butter pickles, Walden Farms s.f. chocolate & caramel syrup or salad dressings or barbecue sauce.

Good going GAgirl:)

GAgirl
You go around the aisle that is conducive to low carb.....the perimeter which in a lot of stores is the produce, meat & fish, dairy aisle. You don't go down the pre-packaged, processed brownie, cake, syrup aisle....lol! Good call on the pkg. of nuts!

Later on, once you get the hang of it.....THEN you can go down any aisle you want and not be tempted (maybe), but to look for stuff you maybe, just maybe could include....ummm....like Mt. Olive s.f. bread & butter pickles, Walden Farms s.f. chocolate & caramel syrup or salad dressings or barbecue sauce.

Good going GAgirl:)

Thanks! You're laughing and I am , too!:D

Well, on my perimeter shop, which yes, was pretty much all I did for me as it turned out (like you said), except the dog food aisle, LOL, I came across something someone mentioned on this forum in one of the many thousands of threads...Hood low-fat reduced calorie chocolate milk.

I bought it as I was having a sugar craving, and I read the label...6 carbs per cup 80 cal per cup ..I drank a 4oz. juice glass full so 40 cal/3 carbs...not bad, but da*n that fake sugar sucralose...blllechhhhhh! Hate it! Always have always will!!! will finish this one carton up and not buy it again. I just can't take that horrible taste and I never liked what man-made sugar substitutes are all about in our bodies, anyway.

Live and learn. It is a great choice and I thank the poster who talked about it, but not for those of us who hate sucralose aftertaste and fake sugar in general. Yet, I know as diabetics all that fake stuff is a staple in diets of most. Just can't be in mine.

Seagal

Maybe you would like original almond unsweetened milk? No sweetner, I was shocked how good it tasted (of course I hadn't had any milk products for a bunch of years), also, it was icy cold when I had a small glass. What I had was Almond Breeze in the carton (unrefrigerated).

The dealie is....I don't eat sandwiches, or cereal and haven't found a reason to drink milk of any kind:( Guess I could make a PB&J with my sandwich bread, but didn't think about it:)

Haniwitch
Maybe you would like original almond unsweetened milk? No sweetner, I was shocked how good it tasted (of course I hadn't had any milk products for a bunch of years), also, it was icy cold when I had a small glass. What I had was Almond Breeze in the carton (unrefrigerated).

Seagal's right. Almond Breeze is delicious. And it comes in chocolate as well as vanilla and original. It's good enough that my nephew, when he was living with me, would "borrow" my Almond Breeze to make his protein drinks when he ran out of milk. Just be sure you get the unsweetened kind which has only 2 to 3 carbs depending on the flavour. And drinking it cold is always the best way. The only place I don't use it is as a substitute for cream in my coffee--it just doesn't taste right. On the other hand if you use it instead of boiling water with instant coffee it makes for an interesting hot drink.

Oh, and where do I find it in my store? Down one of those pesky inside aisles with all those dangerous processed foods. I can also get it at the bulk food store--right across from the chocolate chips and candy fixings.

ramon

I love the unsweetened Silk Almond milk, I put a heaping tbl of cinnamon in it and even though it wont mix you get a great tasting and soothing on the stomach drink. I like mine on ice. I have to try the almond breeze.

Sprockets

One of the first things someone told me was stay on the outside walls at the grocery store. Don't go up and down the aisles unless there is something specific you need. I had never thought about it before but it's true. I've been going to a local produce stand more than the grocery store and buy meats at Costco and wrap/freeze the extras.

We made our first lasagna using massive zucchini for the noodles. It was awesome, I mean really good! I'll post the recipe later. in the recipe thread.

moneymeister

Hey GA,

It's an amazing experience, isn't it? You "think" you know what you eat until you start reading those labels and realize how many carbs and chemicals used to be the basis of the everyday meals. Like you, I was just plain shocked. Then I and went from aisle to aisle looking at my favorite foods and feeling like my "friends": those creamy, yummy white foods of comfort, let me down.

After the carb cravings tapered off in a couple of weeks, I found my insane yearning for the high carb foods tapered off. Now the natural sweetness of strawberries, blueberries and sometimes a banana is plenty. Oh...and I do enjoy dark (over 70%) chocolate for my special nibbles sometimes. It does not spike me! Usually I keep the serving size low.

There IS a low carb pancake you can make and the sugar free syrup is pretty good, it would fool many people, I think... The pancake is made from vanilla whey powder, an egg and a little water and baking powder. It's somewhere on the website.

Well....this was my 1st trip to the grocery store shopping for a low-carb diet. It sucked. My head was spinning in the bread aisle, which I won't be going down anymore, but that was my first isle in my usual pre-LCD shopping routine.

Then the cake batter, boxed brownies, pancake, syrup isle made me sigh and have an instant craving...I opened a 100 cal. pack of almonds and downed those 4 carbs...better...

I realized that 99% or more of the store was ****. So depressing shopping, but did buy some good stuff to stock in the fridge and so the diet continues.;):cool:

jwags

I remember my first trip to the grocery store, I forgot my reading glasses. My arms weren't long enough to read all the ingredients. You find sugar in almost everything. but pretty soon you find the brands that work and buy the same brands. Shopping the aisles is good advice except the frozen aisle. Frozen veggies are a good option.

moneymeister

I need more coffee... LOL, what I meant to say was once my carbs were reduced, my cravings followed along. My senility annoys me.

After the carb cravings tapered off in a couple of weeks, I found my insane yearning for the high carb foods tapered off. "

JanetP

I live with someone who doesn't follow my diet. We each cook our own food. He will eat some of my recipes once in a while, but not often. since we go to the grocery store together, it IS depressing to have to walk up and down the aisles and look at everything you can no longer eat. I just keep in mind the recipes I want to try and mosey along reading labels and looking for acceptable substitutes for things I used to eat regularly (there are very few). I make it a point to always have something cooked a ready that I can warm up and eat.

GAgirl
I need more coffee... LOL, what I meant to say was once my carbs were reduced, my cravings followed along. My senility annoys me.

After the carb cravings tapered off in a couple of weeks, I found my insane yearning for the high carb foods tapered off. "

LOL. I knew what you meant all along, LOL! you don't need more anything you are just right!;)

GAgirl

I bought a spaghetti squash to try to use it for noodles, I guess, LOL...??? I just need to figure out how to peel the darn thing!! It's so heavy!

If anyone can link me back to any recipe and tell me the best way to slice up this thing, I'd be dancing a jig!

JanetP

You can cook it in a crock pot first, or bake it in the oven. The slice it open, remove the seeds, and shred the flesh. Sometimes people cut it in half, put it in a pan of water flesh side down, and bake till it's done. when in doubt use 350 degrees. did you check the recipe thread? I don't know if there are directions there, but there are a lot of recipes on Google. Good luck.

Seagal

I cut the thing in half, scoop out the seeds and nuke each half for about 6 mins. when cool, I use a fork & shred out the insides.

A lot of people feel you get more flavor from roasting in the oven, but I was always in too much of a hurry. I find it raises my b.g. and could be because I would have more than 3/4c. I liked it with butter, parmesan & salt & pepper because tomato products (pasta sauce w/o sugar)cause an increase:(

Halves&pieces

Gagirl, You mentioned chocolate milk and somebody else talked about almond milk. I like chocolate as much as the next person, and I miss milk. What i like to do is nuke a large cup of the Almond Breeze and in another cup measure out (4g.) 1/2 a package of SWISS MISS DIET HOT COCOA MIX (the 1/2 serving is 2g Carbs and 1g sugar). Pour the hot almond milk into the cup with the powdered cocoa and stir well.

I really like this drink when the sweet tooth comes calling or when I want to treat myself, and one drink every other day or so doesn't hurt me. Read the box on the Swiss Miss and be sure to get the DIET kind. As always, YMMV.

Hooterville

I'd heard long before I was D that shopping the perimeter was a good idea. It always sounded ridiculous. Lo and behold, as I changed my ways and went low carb, I just found myself skipping unnecessary aisles. I wasn't purposely staying away, I just had no need to go down certain aisles. Now, besides the perimiter, I will occasionally hit the water aisle, the wine aisle, :D the dark chocolate aisle, and, now and then, the baking aisle for stevia and olive oil. Shopping is much faster now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.