Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamielyn66

Type 2 Diabetes!

Jamielyn66

Hi everyone, In March I was diagnosed w/Type II diabetes after I got the flu and was in the ER. My A1C was at 9.1. I was put on 500 mg of Metformin in the morning & 1,000 mg of Metformin at night. I don't exercise (I know, I know) and I am overweight (I know, I know). When I was first diagnosed I was so sick it didn't really register how important it is. For a couple months in a row, I checked BS in the morning & night and then I just didn't want to do it anymore. I haven't been eating the best...lately, ok well most of the time but lately I have just been like..."how much could this really affect my diabetes?" Today I was feeling really sluggish so I came home from work, ate McDonalds, took a 3 hour nap and got up. I was feeling a little light headed so I figured I'd check my BS. It was 401!!! That freaked me out as I have NEVER seen it higher than low 300s and that was usually only after I ate something really unhealthy.

I have decided it's time to get this under control!!!!! First off, I am tired of being overweight and tired of being tired!! It's time. In the back of my head I knew I would have to decide this on my own (which is crazy considering how dangerous diabetes is) but I'm stubborn and will only do it when I want to. Well, I want to!!!

I could use some suggestions!! First on how to lower BS when it's too high relatively quickly. I could use some suggestions and ideas on good weight loss and recipes..I assume somewhere in the forum there are recipes?

Basically, I need help and some encouragement. Thanks for listening and for taking time to respond. I know I can get this under control!!! :eek:

Jamie

JanetP

Welcome to the forum. There are some very wise, very experienced people here. Congratulations on your decision to take control. It's your life, your body, and your disease. What you want to do with it is up to you.

Uff Da

Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of help and support here now that you've decided it is time to get serious.

Yes, it really is time to get serious when you start seeing BG numbers in the 300s and 400s. The next thing I'd do is find a website with a good database that lists carbohydrate content of foods. I use FitDay and record my foods eaten daily, but there are other websites that do a similar thing. You'll want to start reducing the carb count on your diet. (No more McDonalds.) I'm on insulin now, so can use a higher carb diet, but before I went on insulin I limited myself to around 100-120 grams of carb a day. But I'm trying to gain weight. Most of those here who are trying to lose weight choose a far lower carb diet. You'll have to decide whether low-carb or more moderate carb is right for you.

Exercise will be important for you, but wait until you get your BG back under 250 to do much exercise. There can be circumstances in which it can be dangerous to exercise with a BG greater than that, especially if the BG has been elevated for very long.

Unless you are on insulin, there really isn't a way to reduce your BG quickly safely. If it remains that high (in the 300-400 range) for long, though, it is time to head for the emergency department and let them do it for you. Or at least call your doctor and ask for advice.

Jamielyn66

Thank you! This morning my BS was 200, which is still a little higher than normal for me in the morning..it's usually around 170ish. I think I just decided to eat the wrong foods today (and most days but today I could really feel something wasn't quite right). I drank a bunch of water and did the exercise bike at a low-moderate pace for just 10 minutes and it's down to 348. However, I am tired of always wondering if it's going to be high, so I really want to start eating right!!!! No more ****, no more excuses. I need to do this! I am only 36 (which seems old to me :) ) but I have lots of years left to live and I want to live them healthy!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write!!

Jamielyn66
Hidden

Thank you Janet!! I am going to read bloodsugar101.com now. I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

xMenace

"(I know, I know) "

Can words be more false? Sorry, but you do not know. You've never known. The more we (everybody from researchers down to we lowly, forgotten diabetics) learn about this disease -- these diseases -- the more we come to understand that maybe it's not really our own fault. Maybe, just maybe to big guns have been firing at the wrong enemy. Maybe nobody ahs really known. Let's review.

For the past forty years or so we've demonized animal-based foods, saturated fats, red meats, stuff long ago ancestors painted on caves. We've decided that modern foods like margarine, vegetable oils, grains, and lean, clean meats like chicken and fish are the foods we should eat if we want to be trim, healthy humans. And let's not forget the pineapples. Let it be clear that early migrants to Americas did not follow the pineapple harvests; they followed the reindeer. There is not one instance of a pineapple or any other fruit ever found painted on a cave wall, by long dead civilizations. The modern fruitarian tribes are another matter.

Did it work? The statistics say no. We've done what has been asked of us, but low and behold, we've all gotten fatter and sicker, sicker in many more ways than obesity and diabetes. Western society now suffers from excessive cancer, mental illness, neurological diseases, respiratory diseases, circulation diseases, hormonal diseases, and a whole bunch of diseases many doctors think don't really exist like Celiac and Lupus.

Talk to a dietitian, or God forbid a diabetes educator, and you'll get the sad old story that YOU made bad decisions. YOU visited Rotten Ronnie's too many times and are now you're paying for it. YOU look at your new food guide and you think, dang, that's how I've been eating for the last twenty years. I don't eat junk food, at least not regularly. But ah, I see it. I see the open hand that visually describes how much mashed potatoes to huff in a meal. Makes sense. I've been eating too much. Never mind such portions leave you hungry, cranky, irritable, and impossible to live with. Never mind that science has clearly demonstrated that human beings are incapable of sustaining semi-starvation diets and eventually when the cravings overpower, you become a target of even more excessive body bloating.

Yes, there are ways to conquer this and all the other diseases. In another universe. Oh, and by following the great advice, discussion, debate, argument, and childish name calling found here among all of these sickos. We sickos.

Welcome.

apollo322

Hey good for you that you reached your " NO MORE!" Point so young. There are a few things you can do ( besides insulin) that can really make a complete transformation of your life. The first is what you eat. It's not a diet since your doing it the rest of your life, but if you stick with it you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel and how much better your numbers will be.

The second is exercise. Now "exercise" doesn't have to be something super hard core that you'll hate then quit. It can be as simple as a 15-20 minute walk after a few meals. Beleive it or not that makes a HUGE difference in your numbers. We have a couple of threads on here where we encourage each other on losing weight, exercise and diet. I can't speak for everyone but it sure helps keep me motivated! It's 15 months since I found out and thanks to sticking with the plan I'm fitter and healthier than I've been in decades and my diabetes is completely under control. Start slow, start fast it doesn't matte just start!

Oh, I'm sorry to say but there's nothing short of fast acting insulin that gets your numbers down fast when they're too high. A lot of water and exercise can help a lot though

Jamielyn66

Thank you so much!! I have already secured a walk buddy at night after supper and plan on going on a walk first thing in the morning. Does it matter if I walk before breakfast? I think I'll eat my lunch during work and then take a quick 10 minute walk after instead of walking before eating :) I appreciate your feedback. I am going to start tracking my food using FitDay.

mjrc64

Welcome. I was you! And I wish I started changing my eating when I was 36! I am sure I had IR then.

You can make a huge difference in your life by getting this under control now. When I decided to "eat to my meter" I shed 50 pounds rather easily. I was imply eating all wrong. Low fat, but loads of grains and carbs.

Even going on 3 years, I am now tweaking my eating yet again. It is a lifetime we live with this. It is a process to find the right path and things change along the way as well. Watch those numbers closely, as the 400's are very high. but I think cutting carbs will help and walks after meals. that was about how I started and things came into control pretty quickly.

When I get busy and slack on my walks or elliptical machine, I see my fasting numbers go up.

GAgirl

Good-luck Jamielyn66!! I am new here and new to Type 2 and I personally decided after reading a lot on this forum , that I needed to go very low-carb as I have CFS and I cannot exercise hardly at all because of it, so diet was my only option.

I was a huge carb freak, pasta, breads, potatoes, rices , and chocolate and cakes...

I just realized that it was all going to take a huge toll on my organs and I could never really diet well, but now after knowing what T2 will be doing to my organs should I not get it in control , I made a commitment in my brain to change my way of eating for life.

Been doing in a week...lost 11 lbs. and while I am having to count carbs, and keep a food journal, it's worth the effort.

My blood sugar is down from 169 average to 121 averages. I ranges from 94-126, but I test like crazy as I am new and I want to see what I eat and how it effects the meter readings. I think when I start to only test FBG in the morning and Before bed at night I will see a bout the same averages or better.

You have to do what is right for you and I hope you find out what that will be and commit to it, good-luck!

pdidy68

First off, welcome! As a new member myself to this board, I find it a valuable resource to listen to others with the condition rather than read the same regurgitated paragraph by the MSM.

You need to cut carbs at every corner you can. The disease is not just about sugar but carbs. Simple carbs will break down into glucose, maltotriose and maltose which is sugar.

They will also break down faster which is why you can each more and not feel full...The sugar will turn to fat and hence your weight problem. I weighed 320 at the end of Sept. and on my birthday,

got the good news that I was Type 2(9.0) High triglycerides- 1700+(below 200 is normal) Blood Pressure of 140/90 and Total Cholesterol of 350 and good Cholesterol of 35. I was a walking time bomb.

I was getting up 4 times a night to goto the bathroom and sleep apena was a problem. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last year but like everything else, you put it away and move on and forget it.

I have four young children and would not want to leave my wife with all the kids and alone in this world, especially when it was something I could have prevented.

I have been on Metforim 1000mg twice a day, Gemfibrozil 600MG twice a day, Atorvastatin 20MG and Lisinopril 10MG every day. Since I have changed my diet and excluded all boxed food and white flour products and started to eat brown rice,quiona pastas..and veggies plus lean meats I have seen my weight go from 320 to 281 in 4 months and even though I go for my blood test next week, my BP avg(I take it 4 times a week) 116/80 and glucose is avg daily of 87-110 when four months ago it was 160 avg... You can do it...nothing is impossible, nothing is far from your reach if you put your mind towards it...I wish you well and hope you bring down your numbers and get on the healthy track Jamielyn66!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.