Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago

How do you dine out at Chinese Restaurants?

Chicago

I am newly diagnosed and I probably eat Chinese food at least four times a week (plus leftovers). What sort of modifications can I ask for? Thanks in advance.

rubidoux

I love chinese food but I haven't had it in a couple of years and few and far between before that bc its near impossible (probably actually impossible) to have the dishes that I really like without my blood sugar being crazy. If you happen to like steamed veggies with no rice you're in luck, but otherwise it is slim pickins. I do make myself some chinese-ish and vietnamese-ish food at home with no cornstarch or sugar or rice. I think this might be an area that you should consider changing.

Seagal

Haven't eaten in a chinese restaurant since diagnosis, but would ask if there are plain steamed veggies with no cornstarch or sugars, seems like a lost cause to me, even fish sauce has more carbs than I could handle:(

As Jayne mentioned, I also make asian type foods at home substituting cauli rice and/or miracle noodles.

JCinVA

Lucky for me I just do not care for Chinese food. However, I think the rice alone would be a deal breaker, also all the sweet sauces.

I used to love Italian food, pizza, lasagna. Not anymore! I can live with that. The operative word being "live."

I am newly diagnosed and I probably eat Chinese food at least four times a week (plus leftovers). What sort of modifications can I ask for? Thanks in advance.

Uff Da

Chinese is one of my favorites. After my diagnosis, I pretty well gave it up for over a year, but now that I'm on insulin and have learned what happens with insulin, I occasionally eat Chinese, though only for special meals where I allow my BG to go higher than usual. In fact, I plan to do so tonight to celebrate my birthday. I'll bolus 7U, order Shrimp KungPao, eat one-third of the rice that comes with it and one-half of the main order, and take the rest boxed for my lunch tomorrow. (One-third of the rice will probably be thrown out.) Assuming that my BG is around 90-100 before I leave home tonight and that we choose to go out for a bloody Mary or beer before we go to the Chinese restaurant, I expect my BG to peak at about !60 after the meal. I usually try to keep it under 140.

Melyia

I love Chinese food too but that is the one thing I probably won't have for a very long time until I get my numbers lower. I'm newly diagnosed too.

kayell

This is a hard one since almost all the sauces contain sugar or starch. Of course, rice can simply be skipped. I've occasionally asked if they can give me a few steamed veg in place of rice and had good responses. For my main dish I'm not fond of the lack of flavor of steamed dishes. You might try asking for a simple dish like stir fried roast pork and snow peas without the sauce, or some other dish that looks like the meat and vegetable flavors would be sufficient without the sauce.

If you like spice, ask for some chili oil on the side for seasoning. Or carry some kind of seasoning of your own with you.

Of course this only works at restaurants that actually still cook their own food rather than microwave in the back. Ick.

Bountyman

If you're not diabetic...you can eat to your heart's content. If you are diabetic...you'll have to cut that pleasure down to frustrating choices. Sorry...it is what it is.

Chicago

This is very frustrating news. Does anybody know if hot n sour soup is bad for diabetics?

Funny one liner about the tea and eating somewhere else. Thanks for the chuckle during my days of mourning the loss of my favorite cuisine.

Bountyman
This is very frustrating news. Does anybody know if hot n sour soup is bad for diabetics?

The problem with eating out is you have no idea what's in what you're eating. Is hot 'n sour soup bad for diabetics? Depends on who's stirring the brew. You can test-drive your query with your glucometer. Go to where you favor this hot 'n sour soup. After you're seated...slip off to the bathroom and do a test-drive of your BG with your glucometer. Jot it down on your trusty pen and pad...or whatever device you've overpaid for. Eat/drink the soup. Wait a half hour and take another test. Remember...just the soup. Wait another half hour and test again. The numbers will answer your question for that particular bowl of "hot 'n sour" you slugged down. No guarantees on the next bowl.

Uff Da

What you will need to determine is how many grams of carbohydrate you will allow yourself per meal. Then you can look up the number of carbs in just about any food you might be interested in. A Google search led me to answers for hot and sour soup which ranged from 4 carbs per serving to 14 carbs. Of course it will depend upon what kitchen is making it.

You'll want to learn to eat to your meter. Test your blood sugar before you eat and again one hour and two hours later. You'll soon learn both what specific foods you can and can't eat and also you'll begin to get an idea of how many total carbs your body can tolerate in a meal.

Caravaggio

I can think of the following:

1. Thin soup like egg drop soup. If soup noodles are on the menu, I usually ask that they just give me the soup, meat, and the veggies in it without the noodles.

2. Steamed dishes.

3. Stir fried dishes.

4. Dishes that do not have thick sauces.

5. Cold appetizers (now I'm salivating just thinking of spicy pickled cucumbers, and jellyfish).

6. Dim sum (of course steer clear of those with buns and the dumplings = unless you eat only the inside).

But it all depends on what's on the menu and the quality of the Chinese restaurants you go to.

As mentioned by other posters, test before and after.

princesslinda

I really enjoyed Chinese food prior to diagnosis. Now it's a very rare treat, and when I have it, I have a small portion of whatever it is I would have ordered pre-D,along with rice, and I recognize I will pay for this indulgence with higher blood sugars. I've never cared for the overly sweet dishes; however, most of the sauces wreck havoc on my blood sugar. I probably have Chinese a couple times a year now. It's not worth it to have it more than that, and the substitutions just aren't worth it for me, as i'm still left wanting what I didn't have.

Caravaggio

I walked past an inexpensive Chinese place tonight. Been there before. Great deep pork covered in chili peppers. Also has great home made sausages.

post-15288-139628785033_thumb.jpg

jxrst24

I don't have an actual diagnosis but am on the verge of pre-diabetes. I had Chinese last week with no problems!! I didn't eat any rice but I had a very nice helping of chicken with vegetables - without the corn. I don't recall my specific numbers after but I believe it was around 90-100. I'd say test it out before knocking it off your menu forever!

mzteacher

Look up the nutrition for the large chain Panda Express. Every so often I have that. They offer steamed veggies instead of rice, fried rice or chow mein. Their sweet and sour soup is 12 carbs. I usually get chicken with green beans at 11 or 12 carbs. Broccoli beef is about the same. You can get a bowl with steamed veggies and one other thing on the top. This works really well for me. In a non chain local place i can do very well with snow pea chicken and egg foo young. I hope you find a dish or two that work for you!!

ramon

Went to China Ko with my daughter Lisa. Its one of the few places she will really chow down. She was a model and freaks out if she gains a lb. Went for the salad bar for which they are famous and threw in 3 deviled eggs taboot and they serve 6 different shrimp dishes with scallops and a crawfish mix with nuts and shark strips. Post bg 109. I like the shrimp dishes, salmon although its a little gamey, all the meat dishes as long as they are not sweet, soft shell crab etc but stay away from the breaded shrimp, egg rolls or anything breaded. On request they will serve charred ribs with out the sweet sauce. I notice folks don't tip the Chinese that good and its a shame, they are a very hard working people.

k_dub

In the extremely rare event that I would eat at a Chinese restaurant, I order egg drop soup and beef and broccoli. Usually I make low carb Chinese at home.

Hooterville
Look up the nutrition for the large chain Panda Express. Every so often I have that. They offer steamed veggies instead of rice, fried rice or chow mein. Their sweet and sour soup is 12 carbs. I usually get chicken with green beans at 11 or 12 carbs. Broccoli beef is about the same. You can get a bowl with steamed veggies and one other thing on the top. This works really well for me. In a non chain local place i can do very well with snow pea chicken and egg foo young. I hope you find a dish or two that work for you!!

I broke down and went to Panda in an airport when I was about to board a flight. It seemed like the safest choice. I ordered steamed veggies and broccoli beef. I spiked in to the 150's. I was not a happy camper. It'll be a cold day before I do that again. I suppose I could just go for the steamed veggies.

ant hill

This is a very bad food for T2's as they cannot produce the insulin enough to cover the high carb food.

For a start, The sauces is very very sweet as just there will immediately send the BG to pluto!!!! The rice is another carb source as this is a slower carb and with these two eaten together will keep you high for a very long time.

For T1's, They can inject a fast acting insulin as known as a bolus and even then Chinese is the devil as then you need a gallon of fast acting, Well not that much as an Exaggeration as that doesn't do justice to match the carb count.

As for me I love Chinese and then Chinese don't like me. :(

art

My wife and I along with NANA 215A are going to PF Changs today.

Rice is a complete no-no. We watch our respective spouses indulge.

For me anything with a brown sauce is OK.

Obviously anything Sweet and Sour is to be avoided.

NO Egg Rolls. Yes to lettuce wraps.

You can eat quite well in a Chinese restaurant.

But as we keep reminding ourselves we are all very different in our tolerances to food.

Art

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.