Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago

How do you dine out at Chinese Restaurants?

jims_forum
My wife and I along with NANA 215A are going to PF Changs today.

Rice is a complete no-no. We watch our respective spouses indulge.

For me anything with a brown sauce is OK.

Obviously anything Sweet and Sour is to be avoided.

NO Egg Rolls. Yes to lettuce wraps.

You can eat quite well in a Chinese restaurant.

But as we keep reminding ourselves we are all very different in our tolerances to food.

Art

the issue I have is msg. it seems to interfere with metformin. anybody else having problems? I also agree on the too much sugar issue.

jims_forum
I broke down and went to Panda in an airport when I was about to board a flight. It seemed like the safest choice. I ordered steamed veggies and broccoli beef. I spiked in to the 150's. I was not a happy camper. It'll be a cold day before I do that again. I suppose I could just go for the steamed veggies.

That is interesting as I have also spiked at Panda Express on things it shouldn't have. Is this a lie - we do not use msg but their local chefs are sneaking it in?

Hooterville
That is interesting as I have also spiked at Panda Express on things it shouldn't have. Is this a lie - we do not use msg but their local chefs are sneaking it in?

I don't think I had a problem with MSG at Panda. I think I had a problem with carbs at Panda.

Chicago

In my opinion, Panda Express is NOT Chinese food... you may as well just go have a Big Mac and large fries with a Coca Cola at McDonald's.

The Chinese restaurant I go to is ranked in the top 50 Chinese restaurants in the country. I have had their hot n sour soup twice this week, and it made me feel better and it lowered my glucose. Lots of protein in the tofu, and nutrients in the vegetables. I also had shrimp with garlic sauce, I just cut out the rice. No problems.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to be ok. Back to having my QUALITY Chinese food 4 times a week. BTW, my doctor said I can eat whatever I want, as long as I just count the carbs and not go overboard. :)

Hooterville
In my opinion, Panda Express is NOT Chinese food... you may as well just go have a Big Mac and large fries with a Coca Cola at McDonald's.

The Chinese restaurant I go to is ranked in the top 50 Chinese restaurants in the country. I have had their hot n sour soup twice this week, and it made me feel better and it lowered my glucose. Lots of protein in the tofu, and nutrients in the vegetables. I also had shrimp with garlic sauce, I just cut out the rice. No problems.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to be ok. Back to having my QUALITY Chinese food 4 times a week. BTW, my doctor said I can eat whatever I want, as long as I just count the carbs and not go overboard. :)

Well, la dee da! They didn't have a top ranked Chinese restaurant at the Denver airport when I was hungry and about to board a flight. You go girl and enjoy. Take care and good luck.

k_dub

Of all of the replies you got, I think only two of them mentioned Panda Express...

Question: Were you eating Chinese food 4x week before diagnosis as well??

Seems like a disconnect between the behavior that may have gotten you the diagnosis, your diagnosis, and a reluctance to change...

I also have had quality, authentic Chinese food. Yes, there are some real food options - protein, veggies, etc. As with all restaurants, I find that there are often surprises. If being reasonable and counting carbs is working for you, then that is great. But most folks here cannot just eat "whatever they want" and have controlled BG. Many of us also feel that it is negligent for a doctor to tell any diabetic to "eat whatever you want". I guess you will find out what your pancreas will handle...

Nothing wrong with experimentation. It's a hallmark of controlling this disease, but you got a lot of replies from many very well controlled Type 2s that you seem to be blowing off...

I'm going to Hong Kong and Vietnam a little over a month. Looking forward to exploring that culinary world more, but I'm glad I have my fast acting insulin and even then I'm nervous about some carb surprises.

jims_forum
Well, la dee da! They didn't have a top ranked Chinese restaurant at the Denver airport when I was hungry and about to board a flight. You go girl and enjoy. Take care and good luck.

Thank you Debbie. I was struggling for an adequate reply!

jims_forum
I don't think I had a problem with MSG at Panda. I think I had a problem with carbs at Panda.

That I also ran into and agree with and I find being very choosey.

Yes , I also go to proper chinese restaurants I trust and have had excellent low carb food.

Yes Panda is a chinese version of macdonalds. Oh well!

Best wishes and thank you for responding!

peeka73

Just FYI, hot and sour soup is not low carb. It is usually thickened with corn starch, which is used in almost all Chinese dishes, both take-out American style and the real deal. I would avoid the egg drop soup as well, since it too is usually thickened.

For the few times I dine at American Chinese restaurants (your PF Chengs, Panda, other takeout places), the only safe food I can eat is egg foo young without the sauce. Egg foo young without the sauce is basically just egg omelette. You can dip it in soy and hot sauce.

In authentic Chinese food restaurants, they have no trouble with orders without rice. A lot of Chinese folks find it healthier not to eat the rice with the dishes, and that also means they fill up on the good stuff rather than a filler like rice. :) Basic stirfried veggies like spinach with garlic is fine. Steamed fish, cold appetizer dishes like braised items and jellyfish are fine. It is near impossible to avoid cornstarch completely, so try to get simple stir-fries. Authentic places usually don't go nuts with the gravy. With that much sauce, you can't taste the freshness of the food. So there you go. :)

apollo322

I actually found a place nearby that will make me boneless spare ribs and this pork dish I love in a dry spicy mix. If I eat that I'm great, so I order that once a month or so to quell my Chinese urges.

makiro

Whem I ised to be able to eat full sized meals I would just not eat the carb loaded items. You would see me eating shrimp, broccoli, beef, fish, roasted chicken, etc. They do cater to everyone. It's up to the patron to take it easy.

Toolbox

I have eaten the chopsticks....Lots of fiber there.

I've had some success with beef and broccoli, but every restaurant is a little different as well. I normally take the veggies off the top (on a buffet) and don't dig down to the bottom where the heavier sauce lies....

Rice is a non-starter for me as well as any of the coated chicken (General Tso, etc). My local Chinese buffet has some mean wings that my meter likes, so therefore, I like! I typically pig out on the wings.

formernuke

The only Chinese that I realized today that I will truly, truly miss is my spicy tuna and avocado rolls. In fact I will miss these more than deserts and my nightly glass of low chocolate milk.

Phoenix

i haven't tried sushi since i was dx'ed.

today i tested after eating at a chinese buffet, and i did pretty good. i avoided the rice and noodles. they have both hot-n-sour and egg drop soup there - i avoided those too. (not a problem with egg drop soup. i hate that stuff.)

i just kept with protein sources and veggies.

no spikes. bg 2 hours pp = 117.

Harold

Asian food in general no more than 4 bites of rice, 4 bites of each entree, and enough saki to kill any appetite left.

jims_forum
Asian food in general no more than 4 bites of rice, 4 bites of each entree, and enough saki to kill any appetite left.

Way to go Harold - with special emphasis on real Nihon/Japanese chilled Okunomatso or other top flight saki. Some of that stuff is as elegant as Real Russian Vodka.

Cheers and best wishes.

jwags

It sounds like you are pushing Reversing Diabetes on every thread you respond to. Diabetes can be managed but not reversed.

pat593

I love to order the chicken wrapped in lettuce.  I ask for the chicken to be cooked as plainly as possible and to serve any sauces on the side.  I also order streamed broccoli and chicken and don't have a problem.  I don't mind asking the waitress to ask the chef to help - I tell them I am diabetic and to leave off anything that might have sugar.  Going out for Chinese with my family is one of life's simple pleasures I don't want to give up. 

Bar&In

I was diagnosed just a couple months back and used to eat Chinese quite a bit as my cheat meal for the week. (Japanese and Chinese are my favorite foods) Since I got diagnosed I stopped eating it all together but my last visit to doctor he said I could pretty much eat what I wanted on occasion as long as I didn't abuse it. Therefore I went right out from office and went to Japanese place and had Hibachi shrimp, with veggies, noodles and seafood sauce. They had no brown rice so figured noodles was best option compared to fried or steamed rice and figured since I was doing it up would use dipping sauce as well. I usually give myself 3 units prior to a meal but gave myself an extra unit for this meal. The end result was I was at approx. 100 prior and only bumped up to 130 range after meal. I did same with pizza recently as well, went month or so without it then decided to have 2 slices the one night, similar result. So I guess I no longer have a cheat day once a week but more a cheat meal every 2 weeks or so. I'm type 1.

ant hill

Chinese is usually avoided as it's fairly high carb. Unless you know what you are doing. If you are new to diabetes then Chinese is not for you.

Thebrotherofthesister

I've gone from 412 to 290 lbs in 8 months and I still visit a few local Chinese Buffets around town. 
The Doctor took me off of Metformin last week as my bloodwork came back below 5.3 on A1C for my second straight time.
I don't have it licked.. and It's never cured.. but I have it at bay for now and holding in place.

Like most everyone else who's responded I find that skipping the obvious starch sources: Rice, Sweet & Sour anything, Breaded meats & Thick sauces will take care of a majority of the problems.

I'm allergic to shellfish so I avoid the all you can eat Crab Legs days.. which increase the price.. but don't offer me anything special. ;)

I stick to steamed fish, veggies, the chicken thighs on a skewer, dry style stir fry dishes with chicken or lean beef.
I do my best to not eat too much, but I've found that If I ensure that my first plate is nothing but veggies.. I'm really pretty darn full.. and my diet isn't shot.. and I feel good.. and that second plate leaves me absolutely stuffed.. but really, my calorie count isn't that high and my simple carbs are really low while my complex carbs and fiber is really high.

The most important item that's been included in almost every response is that each and every person is unique and their body responds in a way that is unique to them.

You'll have to see how you feel and see what your meter reads after you eat to figure out exactly what your body is telling you to do.

Good Luck!

mbc1963

I also love Chinese and have had it twice now since being diagnosed. Both times it blew my BG. First time, I just ate the meat on sticks and the insides of two egg rolls... and next morning my FBG was 157! This second time I ate a lot of veggies and the meat, and my BG went from 111 to 138. (It hasn't been over 125 in a few weeks on LCHF.)

So - Chinese is off the table for me. I don't like steamed vegetables, so why spend the money?

Moonpie

I rarely go out for Chinese, but when I do, our lcoal place has chicken lettuce wraps, which work for me. I do alot of stir frys at home, it is an easy way to cook lots of veg. Love fresh ginger & garlic too.

bebelion

If it's a buffet, people may feel like they don't do as much as your average waiter/waitress at a full-service restaurant, i.e, they don't actually bring you your food. This might be why they tip less. As far as eating Chinese, I do it a couple times a month. I, by no means, have a secret way to order Chinese. When I do carryout, I never eat the whole meal in one sitting. If I do eat something I regret, which happens more often than it should, I try really hard to move around more, exercise right after. My family and I have run circles around the parking lot after coming out of the Chinese buffet. LOL. Gotta love the spirit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.