Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Angeldove

Counting carbs

Angeldove

With the past months of my setting aside my health issues due to health issues by other family members, I am now trying to regroup and get myself back in line.

This morning I started by carb counting. The dietician said I needed to have at least 30-35 carbs per meal and to stay within 45 per meal.

This morning I had the following:

Oscar Mayer bacon - 3 strips - 0 carbs (I don't eat the fat, floppy part)

Dannon light and fit pineapple/coconut yogurt - 18 carbs

1 slice raisin bread - 16 carbs and I did spread a thin layer of buttery spread

3 olives - 0 carbs

Bottle water - 0 carbs

I know I stayed on the low end of the carbs per the dietician, but would like input if anyone can suggest any tweaks.

Also on the buttery spread, it is LandOLakes with 1 tablespoon having the following fats - Saturated 2%, Trans 0%, Polyunsaturated 3%, Monounsaturated 2.5%. Of course I would never eat a tablespoon. It was not even a teaspoon that I used.

And I would like suggestions on what to drink. I am not a tea, milk or coffee person. I would love juice, but I know that's a no-no. I don't like diet sodas either as they hurt my stomach.

Angeldove

Well, that didn't go too well. I am getting a strange/bad headache and feel weak and faint. I am guessing that I went down on the carbs too fast. Is that possible?

Anyway, I had a couple of sips of coca-cola (which seem to have helped a tad) and have decided to lay down for a little bit.

Cyclesafe
Hidden

Read Blood Sugar 101 to at least understand what low carb is all about. Habits must change, which means habits must change. You need to get new favorite foods; most here have made the switch and have no regrets. Ditch the bread and eat plain Greek yogurt. Try unsweetened almond milk as a drink in the morning. Good luck.

ShottleBop
Hidden

Check our her book, Diet 101, as well. It has great information about low-carb dieting, generally.

Uff Da

You indicated in another thread that you have kidney disease. That places restrictions on what you should or should not do in terms of diet. The diets followed by many members of this forum may not be appropriate for you and I hope they'll keep that in mind in their responses. Perhaps you can help by telling us more about what you've been advised regarding your diet.

You already said that you are to have a minimum of 30-35 carbs per meal. I know that in the later stages of kidney disease that protein is typically restricted. It may not be if you are in the early stages. Has your dietician given you any advice in that regard?

TX_Clint

Ditto what others have said and especially Uff Da. I would say you are doing fine but I would be careful of the actual carb source. Grains appear to be the worst to get your carbs from but as Uff Da said you may need to take care with protein. Personally I do run much lower with my carbs. I try to keep each meal below 10 carbs. It makes it much easier because then I can count them on my fingers, if I go over 10 I must take my shoes off, and that stinks.

jillybean

If you have other major health issues besides diabetes that you're seeking dietary advice for, you really should mention that. From a diabetes perspective, I would tell you your dietician is very unhelpful and to ignore her because we don't NEED any amount of dietary carbs per meal. I would say ditch the bread completely, ditch the sugary yogurt, and do NOT be afraid of using REAL butter or eating the bacon fat, as fat is a welcome source of energy in the absence of carbs.

That said, I know absolutely nothing about kidney disease.

jillybean
Well, that didn't go too well. I am getting a strange/bad headache and feel weak and faint. I am guessing that I went down on the carbs too fast. Is that possible?

Anyway, I had a couple of sips of coca-cola (which seem to have helped a tad) and have decided to lay down for a little bit.

I also want to add that I personally would never treat a low without testing to confirm it (unless in a situation where you're unable to test for whatever reason). Sometimes, the symptoms of a spike can actually be similar to a low (for me, if I spike unusually high, I get tired, weak, and kind of woozy, like just sort of "out of it").

princesslinda

If you are dealing with decreased renal function, i'd encourage you to listen to the advice you're given by your nephrologist. My brother-in-law is T2 diabetic, now on dialysis while awaiting transplant, and phosphorous is something he has to avoid in his diet, along with many other things that most of us T2s don't really have to think about in our daily diets. While many of us can advise you regarding carbs, it may be that some things that we may suggest might do more harm that good to you as far as your renal function.

For clarity purposes, i'd encourage you to create a signature line showing that you're T2 with renal disease, just so we don't inadvertantly advise you on something on which we're not qualified to offer advice.

Angeldove
If you are dealing with decreased renal function, i'd encourage you to listen to the advice you're given by your nephrologist. My brother-in-law is T2 diabetic, now on dialysis while awaiting transplant, and phosphorous is something he has to avoid in his diet, along with many other things that most of us T2s don't really have to think about in our daily diets. While many of us can advise you regarding carbs, it may be that some things that we may suggest might do more harm that good to you as far as your renal function.

For clarity purposes, i'd encourage you to create a signature line showing that you're T2 with renal disease, just so we don't inadvertantly advise you on something on which we're not qualified to offer advice.

I've tried for several days to put in my information in the signature block, but I cannot find where to do this.

My kidney disease is very "minor" - no special diet and no medication.

I did not get to check my levels this morning, but I'm sure they were probably around 190-219 before I ate - that's the way they have been for some time. But, since I am used to overdoing the carbs for months now - I think either the low carbs this morning was too much like going "cold turkey" for me or the lack of caffeine from the usual coca-cola.

The dietician said I could eat bread, etc., just as long as I count those carbs. I don't care much for bread though. I only have like a slice once in awhile. When I had the carbs under control and was taking my Glipizide, Actos and Metformin - all was going well. But, due to the kidney disease and too much potassium, they took away the Actos and Metformin and my blood pressure medicine (Lisinipril) and everything went haywire. They didn't substitute anything - they just left me like that and I became sicker and sicker as both my blood pressure and sugar went higher and higher.

I changed doctors and he immediately put me on two blood pressure medications and added Januvia and Lantus at night to my Glipizide. As the stress from other issues got out of control - the carbs also got out of control. I'm up to 40 units at night for the Lantus, but I'm not really giving it a chance with the high carbs I've been eating for months. So, that's my goal right now is to start back with the carb counting and really see if the Lantus will work for me.

Thank you for all replies!

ramon

Go to the top of the page and in the dark blue bar click on FORUM ACTIONS, then click EDIT PROFILE a page pops up and on the left column and click on edit signature and that should do it. You could also do your avatar (put in something sexy) Clint likes that ;)

Seagal

There are so many dieticians who promote the eating habits yours is telling you. I would hazard a guess that she isn't diabetic. You must use your meter to determine if what you are eating is good for your b.g. or not, not trying to eat up to 35-45 carbs just because you were told to.

How could anyone newly diagnosed or not, not get a chance to check their b.g. in the morning or before they eat or after they eat. This is your diabetes and how you manage it is entirely up to you, people here care, and although what I've written may sound harsh, it is meant caringly.

Also, if there is a hint of kidney disease, drinking coke or any soda with phosphorous is not acceptable, and you may want to watch the potassium also.

Angeldove
There are so many dieticians who promote the eating habits yours is telling you. I would hazard a guess that she isn't diabetic. You must use your meter to determine if what you are eating is good for your b.g. or not, not trying to eat up to 35-45 carbs just because you were told to.

How could anyone newly diagnosed or not, not get a chance to check their b.g. in the morning or before they eat or after they eat. This is your diabetes and how you manage it is entirely up to you, people here care, and although what I've written may sound harsh, it is meant caringly.

Also, if there is a hint of kidney disease, drinking coke or any soda with phosphorous is not acceptable, and you may want to watch the potassium also.

How can anyone not check their levels? When your daughter and family move out and your monitor disappears. :wink:

And the doctor only has me checking my levels twice a day.

Thanks for the warning too about the cokes. That is definitely something I'm giving up again.

ramon

Angeldove, how much you wanna bet that if we all work together we can bring that A1c down to the 6 A1c range within a few months? Please stick around and I know you will enjoy it too.

Uff Da

On the coke thing, I hear you. I read that about all sodas containing sodium phosphates being bad and I'm going through withdrawals for the second time. I'd managed to give up my Dr. Pepper for several months when I first became diabetic because I really wanted sugar rather than a diet version. But after a time I thought I just had to have a soda, so finally relented and started drinking diet Dr. Pepper. But then I had a blood test that indicated the possibility of kidney problems. So now the diet drinks are out, too. And I'm like you, I'm having a hard time finding anything I like to drink. For me, coffee is okay with cream and Stevia in the morning. And I do drink tea. But it just doesn't replace my Dr. Pepper! How I wish I could just learn to like drinking plain hot water, like I did for many years decades ago.

ramon
On the coke thing, I hear you. I read that about all sodas containing sodium phosphates being bad and I'm going through withdrawals for the second time. I'd managed to give up my Dr. Pepper for several months when I first became diabetic because I really wanted sugar rather than a diet version. But after a time I thought I just had to have a soda, so finally relented and started drinking diet Dr. Pepper. But then I had a blood test that indicated the possibility of kidney problems. So now the diet drinks are out, too. And I'm like you, I'm having a hard time finding anything I like to drink. For me, coffee is okay with cream and Stevia in the morning. And I do drink tea. But it just doesn't replace my Dr. Pepper! How I wish I could just learn to like drinking plain hot water, like I did for many years decades ago.
My son used to bartend working his way through college and learned how to make a drink that tastes just like Dr Pepper. I'm going to ask him what the recipe is and pass it on to you for that special occasion. Wish this discussion came up on your birthday. You can enjoy drink and cop a little buzz too.

jillybean
My kidney disease is very "minor" - no special diet and no medication.

Ahh, well, in that case, everything I said I would have said, I will say ;) Ditch the carbs, eat the fat, and test your glucose levels before trying to "correct" anything :)

ramon
http://www.pittsburgh.va.gov/Dialysis/docs/PhosphorusContentinFoods.pdf

This is a chart listing phosphorus in foods. 900/day is not a lot and it adds up quickly, but keeping the kidneys healthy is really really important for those of us with D! :wink:

I'm also worried about potassium. My potassium level is 4.9 and if I remember correctly once you go over 5.3 you might be well on your way to getting dialysis.

JanetP
I'm also worried about potassium. My potassium level is 4.9 and if I remember correctly once you go over 5.3 you might be well on your way to getting dialysis.

Not necessarily. You may be on your way to getting a dose of kayexelate and pooping your brains out. Unless other numbers are high and you have other symptoms, dialysis may not start until your potassium is higher.

kayell
drink lot's of water and eat fresh fruit. not a pork eater so bacon i am unable to answer.

Fruit is way too high in sugars for many/most diabetics. If you eat fruit, do so in small quantities only and test, test, test. Then go by what your meter says on the fruit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.