Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Eggplant

JanetP

Can anyone suggest a good eggplant recipe that is not eggplant parmesan? I have to do something with the ones from my garden and whatever I've found online has too many carbs and too much tomato sauce.

Thanks,

kayell

Ratatouille - various recipes out there, but I never really follow one.

Simply saute in olive oil a bunch of cut up eggplant cubes with cubed zucchini, garlic, bell peppers (green or red, take your pick), onions and tomatoes (adjust these to your personal carb preference). Cook down to the texture you like. I usually throw some fresh basil in mine near the end. Other herbs work too. Can be cooked in a crockpot. Sprinkle some parmesan or romano on top when you serve it if you're in the mood.

Ratatouille is great for using up a bunch of the usual over producing garden suspects. It can be frozen.

Also look for recipes for Chinese eggplant in black bean sauce. Either avoid the ones with added oyster sauce or sugar or just leave those ingredients out. They're definitely not needed. Yummy stuff. Great with pork.

MCS

How about these

Fake potato skins

peel and slice, lay on parchment paper, put some mozzarella cheese on them, put a egg plant cap on top and more cheese. Bake these until cheese on top is brown. Flip over and put more cheese on top and place under broiler till brown, you'll loike em.

I make a baked eggplant, it does have a small amount of tomato sauce

peel and slice length wise, bake on open rack in a 400 degree oven until slightly brown. Layer them in the bottom of a cake pan, top with 1-2 pounds of smoked sausage, onions, peppers, mushrooms, small amount of pizza sauce, then top with cheese and bake the heck out of it. I'm making this tonight myself.

jwags

My daughter makes eggplant fries. She dips in eggs and then makes a breading with almond flour and spices and fries them up. She also slices eggplant in thin slices lengthwise and stuffs them with cheese and herbs and rolls them and ties them and grills them.

uttercaro

Eggplant chips! Preheat oven to 375 F. Slice washed, unpeeled eggplant very thinly. Spray or brush olive oil on baking sheets, spread eggplant slices in single layer, coat tops with oil, parmesan, and season to taste (Italian seasoning is good, and so is just plain old salt and pepper). Bake for approximately 15 minutes -- watch carefully so they don't burn. Yum.

Caro

chadha

I will upload the Indian recipe for smoked Eggplant. It has very less effect on my bg and tastes great. Will ask my granny and upload the recipe.

k_dub

I've seen some recipes for using eggplant as the "crust" for a low carb pizza.

There are a lot of low carb curry dishes that use eggplant. I've had some delicious coconut green curry with eggplant. Also some kind of North African curry with eggplant. They were all literally just veggies and spices. Traditionally served with rice, but completely delicious and hearty without it.

Google...

Bouddi

Baba Ganouj

(This is like hummus only made with eggplant instead of chickpeas)

Prick whole large eggplant with fork and bake in oven at 350 degrees for about an hour until soft and mushy.

Allow to cool.

Scoop out pulp and blend with 1/2 clove garic 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp tahini, and salt to taste.

Blend until it's a paste and this works as a good dip for veggies!

NoraWI

Eggplant caviar (Russian). Chop up eggplant, onions, green peppers and tomatoes (quantities don't matter). Saute in olive oil until all are soft (mush) stirring constantly. Season with salt & pepper. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Refrigerate. Use as a side or a dip for veggies. Eggplant gives it a nice "kick."

Rad Warrier
Can anyone suggest a good eggplant recipe that is not eggplant parmesan? I have to do something with the ones from my garden and whatever I've found online has too many carbs and too much tomato sauce.

Thanks,

Baingan (egg plant) Bharta is a favourite dish of mine. It is a curry and you can take it with rice, chapatti, naan or even western style sandwich bread.

Here is a recipe.

Regards,

Rad

apollo322

Eggplant rollatini is always great. Just roll up slices of eggplant with pancetta or cappicola and some ricotta or Ny cheese you prefer. Cook in olive oil and garlic sauce and viola

Bouddi

I am so going to try that eggplant rolatini and the caviar! |They sound yum. Gonna have to pass on the naan and rice but the bharta looks good! I didn't know I could freeze baba ganouj! thanks!!!

Caravaggio

I just made a batch yesterday. I forgot the eggplant in the oven (broiler function) until I heard a loud POP - one eggplant exploded!

I added ground cumin and a touch of chili pepper to mine.

Ela

My easiest variation of Baba Ganoush: bake the eggplant in the oven at 350 F at least for 1-2 hrs or the more the better (don't forget to punch it with fork OR IT WILL EXPLODE), scoop out the pulp, mush it with fork, add minced garlic, salt and mayo - done!

JanetP

Thanks,ya'll. All the recipes sound good. I think I'm going to make ratatouille with it today. Rereading this thread, I realize I am out of garlic.:eek: Will need to make a run to the store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.