Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k_dub

Prenatal maternal ECG

k_dub

Did any of you have a prenatal electrocardiogram (ECG) on your heart (not baby's)? My OB is wanting me to have one. I have found absolutely no literature that supports this as a necessary test if I have no previous heart problems or hypertension. I've had two ECGs in the past two years and have no indications for heart problems.

Thoughts?

I am getting fetal ECG (baby's heart) soon at an MFM clinic. I am happy to get extra monitoring on baby because my BGs have not been perfect and their development can be so fragile.

rubidoux

I think I did. It was either an EKG or an ECG. I don't know what the difference is. I don't remember why the doc did it or if he said it was just standard. I wish I could be of more help.

k_dub

EKG or ECG is the same thing. She is saying it's standard, but I can't find any literature that supports its use in low cardiovascular disease risk women.

rubidoux

Do you think we aren't low risk just by virtue of our diabetes? I guess if you had just had one not long ago, you should be low risk, though.

k_dub
Do you think we aren't low risk just by virtue of our diabetes? I guess if you had just had one not long ago, you should be low risk, though.

Certainly, our healthcare system, especially for obstetrics, automatically puts any diabetic woman into the "high risk category". But most people are not well controlled. The OB told me that she has never met a Type 1 woman with the control that I have. And...I was diagnosed 5 years ago. My average A1c since dx is 6.1%. I haven't had diabetes long and I have been well controlled since diagnosis. Docs should consider context.

Now that I think of it, I had an ECG done 15 mos ago, not 18mo ago - so more recent than I thought. Completely normal. I'm 34yo with T1DM for 5 years and my bloodwork is perfect - great cholesterol numbers, c-reactive protein has never been elevated, etc, etc. I'm not convinced.

Lizzie G

kelly

never heard of it before. sounds like another retarded insulting case of overmonitoring you just because so many type 1s are idiots with lousy control. went through it all in my first pregnancy, never seen anyone with such good control yet we are still going to treat you like the other idiots we deal with.

lawyermommy
Hidden

LizzieG, why are you so condescending and negative ALL the time???? It comes across as unbearably rude. It is wonderful that you have excellent control, but not all people on here necessarily have the same. Many type 1's come onto these forums for advice and support, and for ideas to improve their control. For you to call people "idiots" is simply unacceptable. Please watch yourself

k_dub
Hidden
LizzieG, why are you so condescending and negative ALL the time???? It comes across as unbearably rude. It is wonderful that you have excellent control, but not all people on here necessarily have the same. Many type 1's come onto these forums for advice and support, and for ideas to improve their control. For you to call people "idiots" is simply unacceptable. Please watch yourself

Your join date says you joined today, so I'm not sure how, in one post, you could assume that she is being condescending and negative "ALL" the time... I've seen many of Lizzie's posts and would not characterize them in that way.

I don't think that Lizzie meant to be offensive to anyone. She was expressing frustration. I understand her frustration - of automatically being put into a category and treated a certain way based on a label and not on context.

I'm sorry that you were offended. Welcome to the forum.

lawyermommy
Hidden

I have been reading these forums for years, and today, I just couldn't take the nasty tone of LizzieG anymore. Anyone else who feels the same, please comment here. The forum should not become a place for bullying and intimidation. I am sure I'm not alone.

k_dub
Hidden
I have been reading these forums for years, and today, I just couldn't take the nasty tone of LizzieG anymore. Anyone else who feels the same, please comment here. The forum should not become a place for bullying and intimidation. I am sure I'm not alone.

Again, I'm sorry you were offended. I encourage you and anyone else who has personal issues with another member to contact the forum moderators - rather than taking over this particular thread - which is about prenatal maternal EKG/ECG. Thanks.

k_dub

So I did get some information back from my OB. First of all, she said it was ok to use my EKG results from 15mos ago (great). She also said the basis for some of these decisions are the Modified White Classification for diabetes during pregnancy. This is the first I've heard of this scale, but now that I know it, I can do some additional literature review.

According to that classification scale, I'm in Class B (diagnosis after age 20 and diabetes for 10 years or less). Interestingly, control is not a factor in this classification scale - just age at diagnosis and length of time with diabetes, and presence or absence of certain complications.

Thought I'd share this. I have more reading to do....

Lizzie G

I understand that for many people who have had diabetes for a long time it had not always been possible to have such good control, and it takes a shift in thinking and self confidence to improve that situation; I completely get that and am supportive of people doing so. I have been a member of this online support community for many years and whilst I have on occasion disagreed with individuals as we all do in real life, if I contribute to a thread it is because I feel that I have something that might help, never to berate or put down anyone else.

In Kelly's case, I really felt for her that she is being subjected to standard over the top diabetic protocol most suited to someone at the very high end of the pregnancy risk spectrum.

I think there are a lot of women here in that position - work their b***s off to ensure the safety of their unborn child, yet still treated like they are more likely to have a stillbirth than a happy healthy baby.

Lizzie G
Hidden

nasty tone? bullying and intimidation?

"I just couldn't take the nasty tone of LizzieG anymore. Anyone else who feels the same, please comment here"

if that's not an example of bullying and intimidation then I'm not sure what is. FYI I will be reporting your posts as I'm finding them offensive and in your own words, I do not think the forum should become a place for bullying and intimadation.

CaitE

I have been type one for almost 20 years now. I am well controlled, but understand that I have many years of service under my belt now. I had my heart looked at before I got pregnant in Feb '13 and had one done at about 16 weeks gestation. Wasn't a big deal, I found that my hospital was just being due diligent. I am comfortable taking advantage of current knowledge/research and medical technology if it ensures my own safety and the baby's. Reality is that there are increased risks and if procedures are not invasive and provide that extra level of comfort to both me and my medical team then I'm OK with it. I actually fell asleep during the test.

Kathryn10

I had an EKG done during this past pregnancy but that was ONLY because my heart rate was elevated. During my first pregnancy I didn't have any exams on my heart or anything of that nature.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.