Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJB

Amlodipine/Benazepril (Lotrel) and kidney function

MJB

I'm on a low dose of this stuff, 5/10, and my BP was 106/62 at the doc this morning. He said I probably no longer needed it for BP but I should continue to take it for kidney function since I'm diabetic.

I'm a T2 since 2006 but my last A1c was 5.4 and I haven't taken any diabetic meds for over a year.

So I'm debating on dropping the last scrip med I take or continue. I'd like to think my doc knows everything about healthcare but of course he doesn't.

What do you think? I know it's my decision but I'd like opinions.

Bountyman

This is the thing, once we get healthy again, should we continue with these medications...as a preventative?

After my pancreas came back to life and I got off the insulin I also quit the Lipitor, the Lisinopril, the daily 81 mg aspirin and the daily vitamin. My joint pains stopped after I quit the Lipitor, no idea what changed after I quit the aspirin, and after I quit the Lisinopril my night sweats stopped. I also had a mild case of crotch thrush until I quit the vitamins. I'm 70...and if I start feeling any healthier from quitting all this stuff...I'm gonna go hit the bars and pick a fight! :D

Your body, your decision.

Uff Da

I'm on benazepril, but I was on it before a urine test showed that I might possibly have early stage kidney disease. That has yet to be confirmed by a further urine test. A more recent blood test would seem to indicate that kidney function may be okay. We increased the benazepril anyway. But I have such variable blood pressure that we saw it as being needed for the blood pressure, as well as a preventative for possible kidney function.

Would I add it even if I didn't need it for blood pressure? No, I don't think so. I'm thinking that the fewer meds the better and that the top priority for my health is to keep my blood sugars as near normal as possible. Second, in my mind, is trying to keep my blood pressure in a good range. Anything beyond that would take a lot more convincing to get me to agree.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.