Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurenJ

Low Carb while Breastfeeding?? Need Advice Please

LaurenJ

Hi ladies! I'm breastfeeding my 7 month old and my bg levels have been terrible because I cannot eat low carb while breastfeeding. My milk supply seems to diminish after a day of low carb eating. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice for me? Thanks!!

rubidoux

Gosh, that's a drag. I have eaten low carb and even down to 10 grams a day and 45 grams of protein with no trouble. How can you tell that your supply is going down? Have you made sure to get plenty of fat?

kayell

Are you making up the calories by eating extra fat (and maybe extra protein too)? You need a lot of food when nursing, so cutting carbs without increasing other food wouldn't work. Are you drinking enough water?

If all of those, maybe look at the lower GI, slower carbs like beans, but checking calorie intake would be my first choice.

!!! Just saw the IF. If you are still doing IF while nursing, give that a miss until your baby is weaned. Everything I've ever read says that IF and nursing are NOT compatible.

-----------------

If you still are having trouble after this, call your local La Leche league. They are excellent at finding solutions for breast feeding.

jwags

My DIL just had a baby and is nursing. I just sent her an article about Coconut Oil being great for nursing moms. it will increase calories and your milk supply.

k_dub

Lauren,

I don't have any specific recommendations, since I'm currently pregnant with my first. But I do appreciate you posting this question and learning from the responses. Please keep us posted on what you find, the decisions you make, etc. I'm truly interested in your experience.

I just read the book "Primal Moms Look Good Naked" by Peggy Emch. I might go skim through that again to see if there were any ideas that might help.

Of course many of these books/resources say as long as you are eating clean food with adequate fat and calories, you shouldn't have a problem. In reality, we know YMMV and people are different.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.