Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k_dub

Second Trimester Headaches

k_dub

So just last week (week 16) and into this week (week 17), I've started developing daily splitting headaches. My OB mentioned that severe headaches were a sign of preeclampsia, so I've been very aware of them and I've been trying to find some kind of pattern to them.

I've been monitoring my blood pressure several times per day since getting the headaches due to my concern for preeclampsia. My BP has been normal in the ~111/70 range. Preeclampsia is marked by elevated BP, swelling of the hands and feet, sudden weight gain, etc. Having a history of high BP, obesity, and diabetes are risk factors.

I have not had any other symptoms of preeclampsia. No swelling, no sudden weight changes. Previous urine tests have not detected an abnormalities in the protein in my urine, etc. I also have no history of high BP or obesity. My only risk factor is diabetes. And at this point, I don't think the headache alone would point to preeclampsia (I hope). I see the OB again on Sept 12th.

I've been googling headaches and pregnancy, especially in the second trimester. It seems that they are a relatively common occurrence in normal/healthy pregnancies. However, I'm not sure that the frequency and intensity of the headaches are normal. (I have nothing to compare this to).

My headaches last all day... I've been trying to use Tylenol sparingly. When I do use it, it does help. Also, eating seems to help the headache go away for a bit. I have noticed over the same time period, that I've had increases in sinus issues (also supposedly normal during pregnancy). We're also surrounded by wild land fires and there has been an increase in wildfire smoke in our area. But, I wouldn't necessarily characterize my headaches as a typical sinus headache for me. These are splitting headaches with pain wrapping around my head from back (occipital area) to front (forehead area).

There does not seem to be any correlation with the headaches and my BG...

I cannot put my finger on any sort of pattern with them.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

GAgirl

Good-luck and pre-eclampsia is no laughing matter! It's serious as I had a niece go through it with her first pregnancy...Make them monitor you and not brush it off...make them! Take care, girl!

Lizzie G

hi kelly,

this is pretty common in 2nd trimester; iv had it in both pregnancies (got one now!). re pre eclampsia your blood peessure is excellent so extremely unlikely but if your worried call gp and get urine tested for protein just to comfort yourself.

from what you have said you have really excellent control over your diabetes which should re-assure you that your risk is not huge.

i think at this time in pregnancy you need a LOT of water (regardless of diabetes) and i do find on days where i constantly drink, the headaches are better.

hope your not too worried it all sounds (unfortunately) normal and hopefully will pass soon

xxx

Peggy_TX

Yikes -- sounds a little nerve racking, but it's PROBABLY just a headache.

Do you have access to a good acupuncturist? They can do wonders with headaches -- especially sinus stuff. And the good ones will help you find your own accu-pressure points so you can treat them on your own.

CaitE

I am currently 22 weeks along and have had some pretty bad headaches where I went to bed and woke up with the same pain. I find that if I'm in the sun too long or exposed to any humidity, the headached develops. I wouldn't worry...given your current BP, I would figure it's just part of the pregnancy.

k_dub

CaitE - thanks for your response!

My headaches were exactly like that - go to bed with them and wake up with them. They seemed to intensify for me when I was hungry.

I have been without them for the last few days and feeling great.

I have wondered if the headaches were a function of dehydration. I drink water like crazy, but maybe it just wasn't enough during a certain time period in which the baby was growing? Just since this weekend, my belly has grown at ton!

Congrats to you on your little one on the way!

Book Woman
So just last week (week 16) and into this week (week 17), I've started developing daily splitting headaches. My OB mentioned that severe headaches were a sign of preeclampsia, so I've been very aware of them and I've been trying to find some kind of pattern to them.

I've been monitoring my blood pressure several times per day since getting the headaches due to my concern for preeclampsia. My BP has been normal in the ~111/70 range. Preeclampsia is marked by elevated BP, swelling of the hands and feet, sudden weight gain, etc. Having a history of high BP, obesity, and diabetes are risk factors.

I have not had any other symptoms of preeclampsia. No swelling, no sudden weight changes. Previous urine tests have not detected an abnormalities in the protein in my urine, etc. I also have no history of high BP or obesity. My only risk factor is diabetes. And at this point, I don't think the headache alone would point to preeclampsia (I hope). I see the OB again on Sept 12th.

I've been googling headaches and pregnancy, especially in the second trimester. It seems that they are a relatively common occurrence in normal/healthy pregnancies. However, I'm not sure that the frequency and intensity of the headaches are normal. (I have nothing to compare this to).

My headaches last all day... I've been trying to use Tylenol sparingly. When I do use it, it does help. Also, eating seems to help the headache go away for a bit. I have noticed over the same time period, that I've had increases in sinus issues (also supposedly normal during pregnancy). We're also surrounded by wild land fires and there has been an increase in wildfire smoke in our area. But, I wouldn't necessarily characterize my headaches as a typical sinus headache for me. These are splitting headaches with pain wrapping around my head from back (occipital area) to front (forehead area).

There does not seem to be any correlation with the headaches and my BG...

I cannot put my finger on any sort of pattern with them.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Kelly - So sorry you have the headaches! Did they start after camping? I wonder if sinus problems came from something while camping. Also, it may help to flush your sinuses regularly. I use a neti pot or now I have a plastic bulb that I fill with salt and water to cleanse the sinus cavity. My allergies always improve when I rinse my sinuses often (2-3times/day). My headaches are from my sinuses and they are awful. Thought yours may be as well. Take care.

k_dub
Kelly - So sorry you have the headaches! Did they start after camping? I wonder if sinus problems came from something while camping. Also, it may help to flush your sinuses regularly. I use a neti pot or now I have a plastic bulb that I fill with salt and water to cleanse the sinus cavity. My allergies always improve when I rinse my sinuses often (2-3times/day). My headaches are from my sinuses and they are awful. Thought yours may be as well. Take care.

Thanks for your response!

They actually started before I went camping, but we've had wildfire smoke in our community for a little over week.

Maybe for me it was a combo of dehydration + hormones + wildfire smoke?

Luckily, they have gone away for the past 3 days (crossing my fingers).

I'm not one to get headaches often, so it was pretty unusual for me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.