Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

obie1985

My wife was diagnosed today...

obie1985

Good evening. My wife is 26 weeks along and got the news today. She was devastated. Called me while I was at work, bawling her eyes out...I thought the news was much worse than it was. When I finally understood what she was saying, i worked on calming myself down.

It's the weekend so we won't be seeing the dietician or diabetic expert until next week sometime. We're a bit lost right now. My dad has diabetes, but I feel like we need some more focused advice.

In terms of diet, what sort of meals should we plan? I make eggs every morning and I'm all about some proteins. But what's a day like with GD? Just so we can make it through the next few days before we get a specific diet plan.

Thank you all for your support and advice that I'm sure will be amazing.

-Obie

ramon

Hi Obie, give your girl some loving attention and assure her this is common with many women expecting. Really not much to worry about but it is a terrible shock I'm sure. Same thing happened to my daughter and she was 34. Right after the baby was born all became normal again. Many of ladies in this forum are diabetics and produce healthy beautiful babies. Let your wife know she is in good hands here and let some of the ladies get involved to help. You are a good man buddy to be here caring about your girl. Its late and its Friday so let this post run and watch the ladies with more experience jump in. You are in the right place, I promise you. We will help.

eve.k

good luck you guys, everything will work out i'm sure, and this is a good start to get some advice from people who have already been there, or at least to see you guys are not alone in this. there's a whole section on diabetes and pregnancy too. i'm not diabetic so all i can say make her healthy low carb meals till monday, she is running high now if my logic serves me, the rest will sort itself out with the help of your doctor and people here. they will recommend you books as well as share what works for them.

MsMarginalized

I was also diagnosed when I was pregnant with our 2nd child. They really just monitored me (no real diet change-I was told [in 1995] that Gestational diabetes is NOT diet caused/related but purely the bodies reaction to my pregnancy)...it was gone after I delivered our healthy baby boy.

It was a shock for me & I remember also being very emotional about it. (Remember there are a lot of mood swings during pregnancy---it's completely normal).

patricia52

My daughter in law was diagnoised two weeks ago at 36 weeks. The bad thing is the doctor does not think hers is GD. He told her he thought she had been a diabetic for about 4 years. She is struggling to keep her numbers down until the baby arrives then start over learning to control the Beast all over again. Hopefully I can be of some help.

obie1985

Thank you guys! We're feeling better this morning. We made egg whites, canadian bacon, ezekiel bread with a serving of natural PB. She's taking a food journal, too.

The next worry is what to eat next and when...

If you guys have any fun snack and meal ideas, let me know. We appreciate the support. I feel like I came to the right place.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.