Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

macksvicky

Mike, that was sad news about Don Rickles, he was an icon.

Kit, that all sounds fabulous. I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Lee, at least you tried, that was a good thing. Too funny about your female dog, she knew the shepherd wasn't part of her pack so no biscuits for him/her.

ant hill

Hey Kit,thanks for the Egg Thread!!! that was super!!!

Moonpie

Next weekend, we are going to a wedding in a winery. We will be staying in htis oddball place.

http://www.isisoasis.us/accommodations/hobbit-huts/

Many of the more mainstream hotels near the wedding were already sold out, so I found this place. I hoep the storms will be gone by the weekend.

Kit

Oh those look adorable!

I can't believe this.  I had to run out to the store this morning and I thought I would go a head and pickup some cube steak for next weekend.  That stuff was $6.45 a pound!  I could buy some very nice looking new york strip steaks for $4.99.  Actually I did buy them.  Guess what we're having for dinner tonight with onions, peppers, mushrooms, and asparagus.

I've been craving steak and asparagus.  :)

Moonpie

Enjoy your steak dinner. Sometimes the supermarkets have crazy differences in prices.

adiantum

Moon, you go to the most interesting places.

Those huts looks great fun, kinda like the cubby houses we built as kids made out of rusted water tanks.

Looking through their photo gallery it looked like a bearded lady sitting in the back ground.

I always take a second look at these people now.

Years ago  there was a ' woman with a moustache ' in the botanical gardens.

I was soooo  naïve those days 

My friend even said ' wouldn't you think she would shave that mo off"

we had no idea of drag

Remember many years ago we'd pay to see a freak show..all  queue  up to walk past a woman with a beard..or  the fat lady or the half man /half woman.

I'm so glad we're not so ignorant these days.

IMG_1748-300x225.jpgLady Loreon with Silkie Roosters

macksvicky

Those huts looked like they would a nice experience to try, much more of an adventure than a regular hotel room. 

Those roosters are pretty!  

Moonpie

Thank you, ladies. I think they also have some alpacas & ocelots on site, so I will be excited to explore the grounds, before it is time to head the the evening wedding. 

Edited by Moonpie

janice21475

Love those little cob huts. I am sold on the idea of them but can not afford the construction. If I was younger (make that, much younger) I would attempt building one. At my age they are only classed in the what "might have been" category. Big grin! I hope you take pictures and relate to us on the stay.

Those Silky chickens are so gentle compared to the normal barnyard varieties. However I never had any.

As far as 'cube steak' goes I believe the stores try to recoup the cost of the machine they use to 'cube' the meat. Only they seem to need to buy one weekly as far as their prices go.

Hope you all have a great upcoming week.

Edited by janice21475

Kit
As far as 'cube steak' goes I believe the stores try to recoup the cost of the machine they use to 'cube' the meat. Only they seem to need to buy one weekly as far as their prices go.

Its a rip off for what is a tough and cheap piece of meat.  Mr Fuzzy can wait for his chicken fried steak until I find it on sale.  I don't even like the taste of cube steak/round steak.

Maybe I can appease him with fried pork steak in the mean time.

meyery2k

This week's cycling journey was to Honomu, HI and Akaka Falls.  While the mileage might not be impressive I did tackle a 1300' climb over 3 miles which is a roughly 8.66% grade.  I am not sure if true athletic cyclists would consider that a challenge but my legs and butt sure did...

So begins the adventure...

Stats...  I also have shared the topographical data from the ride.

post-58728-0-34739200-1491784640_thumb.png  post-58728-0-52414400-1491784641_thumb.png

Leaving Hilo...

post-58728-0-96391400-1491785010_thumb.jpg

First stop is Kolekole Beach Park.  16 miles out.  I think this will be where I try my first overnight camping trip on my bike.  It is close to home and there is a nice grassy area where one can set up the tent.  There are also small BBQ pits so I could try making a camp breakfast the next morning.  The highway is built on an old railway route.  The bridge has seen earthquakes and tsunamis and has had to be rebuilt over the years.  The surf sounded so nice on the rocks.  That decided me to try this for camping.

post-58728-0-71165100-1491785245_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-92778000-1491785248_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-86011100-1491785252_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-02671300-1491785255_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-47309700-1491785257_thumb.jpg

Now to Honomu.  Honomu's primary purpose was to support the sugar cane trade.  There were many plantations in the area when sugar was king.

While I don't have a Chrysler as big as a whale, this "Love Shack" is about 15 miles from where I live ;)

post-58728-0-11568400-1491785468_thumb.jpg

Honomu has wooden slat sidewalks and many historical buildings.

post-58728-0-35481800-1491785511_thumb.jpg

Leaving Honomu and heading up to Akaka Falls.  You can still find some feral sugar cane.  

post-58728-0-27661400-1491785568_thumb.jpg

Made it to the Falls!  It was a tough ride for me.  I just had to reach within and keep on going.  I kept telling myself that if I did all those other rides, I could do this.  I just never had such a steep climbout.  The grade averaged about 8.66%.  I was impressed with myself until I Googled some hills in San Francisco.

post-58728-0-68796000-1491785709_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-64535300-1491785728_thumb.jpg

This photo gives an idea of the climb.  I started at near the ocean.

post-58728-0-79393700-1491785869_thumb.jpg

Walking on the trail, you can get a little closer to the falls.  The State is working on eliminating the Albizia trees that plague the area.  You can see where one had fallen across the trail.  They are beautiful tress but they are very weak and drop heavy branches or fall very easily.  People have been killed by these trees.

post-58728-0-95672300-1491786003_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-57737600-1491786008_thumb.jpg

Some interesting photos and then the falls themselves.

post-58728-0-29596000-1491786093_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-19616900-1491786097_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-99945100-1491786100_thumb.jpg

Some interesting facts about the falls.  There is a fish that actually swims upstream about 4 miles from the ocean, climbs the falls, and resides in the river...

post-58728-0-59722000-1491786238_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-50362300-1491786241_thumb.jpg

Lee - I thought you might like this fern...

post-58728-0-07925800-1491786300_thumb.jpg

More facts about the falls.  The rooster was cruising around the parking lot.

post-58728-0-64603600-1491786375_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-56243000-1491786378_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-85124500-1491786381_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-90432200-1491786384_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-81841300-1491786388_thumb.jpg

Back in Hilo.  This bridge is called the "singing bridge" because when you dive over the metal grating it makes a distinctive sound.

Cyclists are encouraged to dismount and walk across the bridge which gave me the opportunity to take the shot up the Wailuku River.

post-58728-0-56153400-1491786536_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-27410200-1491786539_thumb.jpg

I did my customary victory laps around Banyan Drive to round this out to 40 miles.  The first photo is where I had gone up the coast and the 2nd photo is Hilo town nestled across the bay.

post-58728-0-91343700-1491786635_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-22533400-1491786638_thumb.jpg

Kit

Mike, doesn't matter if a true athletic cyclist would have found it a challenge.  It was for you and so it was good.  Do it more often and it will become less so.

I am jealous of your bike trips.  I've been stuck on my ass for long enough to make me go batty.  I've still got the weights and I try to use my exercise bike a little.  And I hobble on short walks most evenings, but I still feel like a total lump.  I don't even make 1/4 my usual distance.  I feel like a lump.  I guess something is better than nothing.  But man I am going batty.

adiantum

What an awesome adventure Mike.That elevation is greater then many cyclists would even attempt.

Looking down on that beautiful waterfall & realise that water continues down to the ocean...the start of your journey... demonstrates how steep your climb was.

I loved the tree fern.. they are favourites of mine.

Loved the rooster..what a handsome devil he is & probably more healthy & happier then any caged bird.

The honeycreeper is a cutie & that goby fish is an achiever.

The cinema theater is a lovely building.

Thanks for sharing your amazing day

ant hill

Oh those look adorable!

I can't believe this.  I had to run out to the store this morning and I thought I would go a head and pickup some cube steak for next weekend.  That stuff was $6.45 a pound!  I could buy some very nice looking new york strip steaks for $4.99.  Actually I did buy them.  Guess what we're having for dinner tonight with onions, peppers, mushrooms, and asparagus.

I've been craving steak and asparagus.  :)

OMG Kit another idea!!! Thanks. :D

macksvicky

Wow Mike, what awesome views. It's just beautiful there. That climb had to have been very hard! Kudos to you for making it!

Hammer

Well, today I decided to take the snowblower off of my garden tractor, and install my mowing deck.  I didn't bother to pedal my exercise bike today, because I know that if I did, my legs would be worn out, and it would have made it much harder to swap out the snowblower for the mowing deck.  It took about 2 hours to make the change, and it seems to take me longer and longer to do, since I am getting older, but at least, I can still do it.  If the time comes when I can no longer do it, I'll just call the dealer where I bought the garden tractor, and they will send someone out to do it for me....for a fee.

I guess tomorrow, since it's also going to be a sunny day like today is, I will walk around my yard and pick up all of the small branches that have fallen out of the trees over the winter.  I need to do that before I can mow the lawn.  It's supposed to rain Wednesday, so if it does, then Thursday, I will use my new aerator shoes to walk over the areas that I want to grow grass on, to stop the mower from throwing up a lot of dust.  I'm anxious to see how these aerator shoes work.

adiantum

Hammer, avoid mowing over that bare grassed section as that dust is your top soil & any seeds waiting to germinate.

Ive planted plugs of grass in a bald patch . It was easy to water those plugs to give them a chance to spread.

I dug a  shallow square  hole the width of the spade, added compost or potting mix to the hole & transplanted a grass patch Ive dug from other areas.

I'd have different grass species then you , but as Buffalo grass wasnt  growing well on the bald patch, I transplanted Kikuyu & Dichondra....& it worked.

Kit

This area has such interesting springs.

On my way home I went through rain, sun, black skies, rainbows, more rain, rain and hail, sideways rain and hail from high winds, more sun, and rain.

Oh, as I sit here, more hail.

Edited by Kit

TooSweetForMe

Had to go take care of a double bill I got for my power yesterday.  We're having a right good bit of problems with our public utilities here in EC. Fixing steak, eggs, and fruits for breakfast today then doing laundry.  Hope everyone has a good day.

adiantum

Sweet, I'd hate it if I received a double bill for power.I'd be doubting myself if I actually paid it.

My meter is due to be read soon & I just wish I knew what day, so I'll have the gate unlocked & I'm not caught n my PJ's.

The meter box is inside my house & disguised among  the book shelves in my office.

He has to have a key to get inside if I'm not home.

The meter  used to be on the porch but  the original homeowners closed  it in with windows  all around, giving me an awesome office.

I just have to be sure I pick up the dogs beds & toys before he arrives.

Great photo meyer..not even rain would keep you folk from doing that walk.

Hammer

Sweet, I'd hate it if I received a double bill for power.I'd be doubting myself if I actually paid it.

My meter is due to be read soon & I just wish I knew what day, so I'll have the gate unlocked & I'm not caught n my PJ's.

The meter box is inside my house & disguised among  the book shelves in my office.

He has to have a key to get inside if I'm not home.

The meter  used to be on the porch but  the original homeowners closed  it in with windows  all around, giving me an awesome office.

I just have to be sure I pick up the dogs beds & toys before he arrives.

Great photo meyer..not even rain would keep you folk from doing that walk.

I make up a bill paying chart every year, so that I know what bills have been paid and what bills have not been paid.  I simply write the month at the top of the chart, then down the left side of the page, I write the bill (electric, cable, insurance, etc.)  When I pay the bill, I write in the date that I paid it, and the amount of the check that I wrote, in the box under the month and alongside the bill.  One glance at the chart, and I know if I paid the bill or if I have an outstanding bill.

Where I live, they don't read the electric meters anymore. The meters they now use, send a signal back to the electric company through the electric lines, indicating how much electricity I've used for that month.  No more reading the meter. :)

adiantum

I'll be glad when we get a smart meter although those that have one complained about  discrepancies .

* sigh * Oh to be able to slob around in PJ's  & not be worried about someone arriving with a key.

Ive only recently  stopped paper bills for electricity so the next step will be direct debit.. I guess I shouldve done that anyway.

I have water & land taxes direct debited.

Hammer

Well, considering that I have about an acre of actual lawn, I decided to call a local lawn service to see what it would cost for them to aerate my lawn, spread lime and fertilizer on it, then seed it.  He is supposed to show up today, so I am anxious to find out the cost to do this.  I can't help but feel that the cost would be more than I can afford, but I figured, it can't hurt to get a free estimate, that way, I will know exactly what it will cost.  This lawn service outfit doesn't use hydro.seeding, they use typical lime and fertilizers, which is good, plus, they are a local company, not one of those nationwide chains, so their service is more personalized.  I just hope that it isn't too expensive, because my lawn is in sad shape, and it needs all the help that it can get.....more help than I can physically do.  It's not that I want a beautiful lawn, which would be nice, I just want to stop the erosion of the soil, due to the dust clouds that blow up when I mow the lawn.  I am also concerned that, when I mow the lawn, those dust clouds that blow up, can make a mess of my neighbor's laundry that they have hanging on their clotheslines.  I like to try and be a good neighbor who doesn't cause problems for anyone.  I have lived here for more than 40 years, and all of my neighbors have been good people, so I want to show them that I can also be a good neighbor. :)

Moonpie

I pay all my bills once a month. I pay extra on the utility bill, so I have some padding in case it gets too hot & the ac raises the bill too much. I do not wait for the electonic bill to come in, I just pay a set amount towards gas & electric each month. I monitor it online too, one good thing about the smart meters is that you can see how much you use day by day or even hour by hour.