Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

The cooks that prepared the pictured meal used the same black diner set as me & that did please me.

I keep the table set as a decor feature.

If I didnt do that I'd use the table as a shelf & pretty soon it would be covered in jobs I was going to get around to doing. 

I'm having trouble with my old computer.. it shuts itself down when I'm looking at real estate ads.

Why?

janice21475

Lee, Wanting to simplify the steps needed just to feed one's body is understandable. When you are young is one thing but for me, even then, I preferred grilled cheese to hours of preparation. Good wine covers a multitude of gaps in a meal. :D Even swill covers the gaps but I buy the best I can afford. Lately, I have been eating beans. A 1 lb bag will feed me for practically a week. Only need to nuke it 1:30 and the meal is ready. Plus it is so delicious.One drawback, now my Dr. is complaining about my Potassium level being too high. I think I will have to have 2 Non-potassium meals for each high potassium meal. Always something! At least I am still alive. B)

adiantum

Beans?.........I have diabetes so beans are not tolerated.  I do hope a newbie doesnt read  that  beans  are suitable food for diabetics.

Ran, I wonder why you didnt get to see  the closing ceremony live.

I really enjoyed the Winter Olympics.

Seeing people playing in & on snow & ice is such an unusual yet wonderful sight.

I was in awe of the featured landscape..wow what a beautiful country.

janice21475
3 hours ago, adiantum said:

Beans?.........I have diabetes so beans are not tolerated.  I do hope a newbie doesnt read  that  beans  are suitable food for diabetics.

Lee, my profile clearly says I am (was) the wife of a diabetic. I did not mention feeding beans to my husband. I do not want problems. Next time I happen to mention contraband food, I will also post a disclaimer.

adiantum

I've become so tired of salads this summer , so was interested to see a Fattoosh Salad made by cooks from the Middle East.

It was filled with herbs & spices I never use , even the 3/4 cup of Italian Parsley & 3/4 cup of mint would be a new addition to the leafy greens.

My online order is due  soon  which includes these ingredients needed.............but Murphies Law?

Today is cold & wet & any salad lacks appeal.

Hammer

Lee, as you already know, me being a single guy, I always eat as simply as possible.  If I want to eat green beans or collard greens, I just open the can, dump out the water, and eat it right out of the can. (I'll put some red wine vinegar with Pomegranate in the can of collard greens to give it more flavor.)

Years ago, when Dorothy Hamill won her gold medal for figure skating, they did a special on her, and she was outside, skating on a frozen stream, all by herself, and it was beautiful to watch, as she did all sorts of moves along the stream, and on the frozen pond that the stream flowed into. 

janice21475
5 hours ago, Hammer said:

. . . . If I want to eat green beans or collard greens, I just open the can, dump out the water, and eat it right out of the can. (I'll put some red wine vinegar with Pomegranate in the can of collard greens to give it more flavor.) . . . .

Hammer, I do something similar but never eat a whole can at one sitting, so I dump it (without the juice) in a glass jar. Then I add my spices and a tad of white wine vinegar and eat from the jar. This way I am spared the awful taste that comes from a metal utensil touching the inside of the metal can. Ugh! (That sets my teeth on edge and just the thought beings back the nasty flavor.) Perhaps you use a plastic utensil? That would eliminate the aftertaste. Since you eat the whole can, I fully understand you certainly don't need to dirty a jar. :rolleyes:

adiantum

Hammer Ive smiled aka winced  often at your food choices but theres one of your   simple living skills  I adopted.

Paper bowls & plates !! They are  great work savers.

When camping Ive tried canned potatoes,peas & beans but they were all inferior to fresh.

Admittedly I didnt think to add spices ,vinegar etc , I just use butter to make things taste right.

Ive not tried Pomegranate & noticed they were one ingredient in a Fat toosh salad recipe.

I think I'm just becoming tired of the same foods now were coming  towards the end of Summer.

Ive become incredibly lazy  in the kitchen , probably because its not a priority. I even buy frozen battered fish pieces.

I put 3 pieces in the air fryer & either cut up a cucumber , lettuce  etc or m'wave a cup full of spinach leaves.

To save on carbs, the dogs get most of the batter.

Edited by adiantum

Hammer
4 minutes ago, janice21475 said:

Hammer, I do something similar but never eat a whole can at one sitting, so I dump it (without the juice) in a glass jar. Then I add my spices and a tad of white wine vinegar and eat from the jar. This way I am spared the awful taste that comes from a metal utensil touching the inside of the metal can. Ugh! (That sets my teeth on edge and just the thought beings back the nasty flavor.) Perhaps you use a plastic utensil? That would eliminate the aftertaste. Since you eat the whole can, I fully understand you certainly don't need to dirty a jar. :rolleyes:

Janice, I am a big guy (6'-2") so I eat a lot more than most people, which is why I eat a whole can of green beans or collard greens.  There was a time (not recently) where I could go to Pizza Hut, and eat a large, Meat Lover's Pan Pizza, all by myself, but that was a long time ago.  Now, if I were to get a large Meat Lover's Pan pizza, I might be able to eat two slices of it, but since I am diabetic, I haven't had pizza in more than 6 or 7 years.....too many carbs for me.

I used to have a big appetite, and I wasn't fat back then.....I was in shape because I worked out at the gym every day.  People were amazed at how much I could eat, and not get fat.  Heck, I'd go to an all you can eat breakfast buffet on Saturday mornings with my wife and daughter, and I would fill up my plate with as many scrambled eggs as I could fit on the plate, then cover the eggs with at least 12 sausage links.  Once I finished that, I would go back up to the buffet and fill up my plate with pancakes, then top off the pancakes with as much bacon as I could put on top of the pancakes.  Once I finished off that plate, I would go back up to the buffet, and fill my plate with banana slices that were covered in cherry sauce.  Once I ate that, my wife, daughter and me would go next door to the gym and work out.  I always took part in their "rebounders" which was an aerobic class done on mini trampolines.  Having eaten that much food, then working out on trampolines, proved to be interesting, but I always managed to push through.  Back then, my goal was to be able to eat an entire Priazzo, from Pizza Hut, which was basically a meat pie, topped off with a Pizza.  They would use pizza dough to make a pie crust, then fill it will cheeses, a variety of meats, tomato sauce, then cover it with pizza dough, and make a pizza on top of that pizza dough.  It was extremely filling, so I wanted to try and eat a whole by myself, but it was so filling, that I was never able to do so....I got close, but never made it.  Pizza Hut no longer offers priazzo's, but that's okay....I no longer have that huge appetite, so I am no longer trying to achieve that goal.  Back then, when my wife and daughter would go to Pizza Hut, she would ask me what I wanted to get, and I always said that I wanted to get the Meat Lover's Priazzo.  She said that she didn't want to get it because it was too filling???  I said that, you only eat what you want, then stop.  If you eat too much, then you get stuffed, so why would you eat too much?  I also said, if you don't want to get it because it's too filling, then do you want to get something that leaves you hungry when you leave here?  That never made sense to me....

adiantum

Figure skating is beautiful to watch & on a frozen pond is  the most beautiful setting.

How wonderful for you  to have seen it

I lost the web address of the webcam I used to see people skating on a pond in the US.

It was on a lake in front of an impressive manor house or resort.

I watched the figure skating during the recent winter Olympics every chance I could.

adiantum

Ive not seen that Hammer. 

A friend gives me a hamper at xmas & that always has a bottle of red wine vinegar which does me through that summer.

Ive become that age when food & toiletries make the most suitable gifts to receive & to give.

adiantum

From the achievements of the very young, we can be in awe of a very old man 

He will be 100yrs old in just  a couple of weeks & can swim 50 meters in 56 seconds.

99-year-old swimmer breaks 50m freestyle world record at Gold Coast trials

Updated about an hour ago

George Corones smiles to crowd in swimming cap and goggles.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-01/99-year-old-man-breaks-swimming-world-record/9497454

ant hill
On 2/27/2018 at 9:40 AM, adiantum said:

Figure skating is beautiful to watch & on a frozen pond is  the most beautiful setting.

How wonderful for you  to have seen it

I lost the web address of the webcam I used to see people skating on a pond in the US.

It was on a lake in front of an impressive manor house or resort.

I watched the figure skating during the recent winter Olympics every chance I could.

I have been whatching the SBS, ISU Figure Skating and loved the dance on ice. Just on just skating on a pond, you would have to ask around to see it's thick enough. i have seen Speed Skaters use the Dutch Cannals as walk bridges don't freaze well so they have warnings on walk bridges. These guys can keep up with normal traffic!!! 60Kmh.

As for Salads, i also been using the 4 leaf bags with cheese, cherry tomatoes, red onion, Avocado with chicken and aoli so no carbs no Bolus. That fills me up!! :)

adiantum

I heard a good hint to make identity theft harder.

On the sites that for security purposes, like mothers maiden name, first school you attended etc..

Dont use your own details.  Use a cousins or someone thats familiar.

ran23

Well, just replaced smoke detectors batteries, next door neighbor,  and put my 8' ladder away.  glass of cab now. 

adiantum

I dont do climbing  ladders anymore. It must be an ageing thing.

I blue tacked the smoke alarms in the doorways so I can reach them .

Ran, you will appreciate this....

I bought my 8ft ladder years ago at an op-shop / thrift store.

Its a heavy hardwood timber one which is too heavy for me to be carrying around, so it stays in situ under the crawl space/manhole in the laundry.

I use it as a shelf for towels now but I know if I ever get flooded, I can climb up into the ceiling with my dogs  for an escape.

Not all emergency services take dogs, so we will be safe in the ceiling unless we float away in what will become the new " houseboat" 

ran23

My 8 ' sits in the garage, covered with towels, garage shoes and extras.  I even had to take my truck out (Hilux Surf) of the garage to move the ladder.   

adiantum

This " reacted" we are seeing lately is such an interesting word.

I often wonder if  someone reacted to a " like" that I'd given them, like I react to Metformin

or like my dogs react when I open a packet that they assume is for them.

I'm never sure if I should start running or wag my tail.

adiantum

Another great hint I heard today was for those like myself that dont like kale.

Stir olive oil into the pan of kale..

it makes it easier to tip it into the trash bin