Diabetes forums
Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

de-cluttering saga continues...

I had some interesting pieces of furniture that I dont want to take to the new home.

Selling became a nuisance having to fit in with the buyers times, so Ive put things on the footpath & overnight they disappear.

It's magic !!!

adiantum

The one thing I did see leaving the footpath was a disability walker.

I bought it at an op-shop as an assurance should I ever need one in the future. 

I'd chipped my patella once & that was an awful experience, so a walker wouldve been handy then.

It'd only been out for an hour when a car stopped & a man in his 40's folded it up & put it in his car.

Its a good feeling knowing someone mustve needed or wanted  it.

dowling gram

1 hour ago, adiantum said:

I do like that story Mike.

All of my dogs have been rescues & all spayed.

I've trapped cats that have been roaming in my garden & the authorities come & collect them.

If they have no microchip, theyre spayed & put up for sale.

Responsible people have their cats spayed & micro chipped, so they are returned to the owners.

Irresponsible people do not take care of their animals. I've often wondered why they want a pet if they aren't going to be responsible pet owners.

For the last month. there has been a tame pet rabbit running loose in our neighbourhood. I live in a small town with large lots. There are a lot of vegetable gardens and people take pride in keeping their yards looking good so there are lots of flower beds too.. This rabbit was into them all and helping himself to what was growing there. Of course I didn't like him nibbling on my flowers but my main concern was for the rabbit. I was afraid that it would go on the road and get hit by a car or it would get into something dangerous.
I called the SPCA and Animal control after I looked up the bylaws. Animal control said they only took care stray of dogs and cats and those that caused a problem. I asked why not rabbits if there is a bylaw stating how they must be kept. The SPCA offered a rabbit trap and I was to bring him to their offices. I said there was no way I could get there and that was the end of that. I did find out who it belonged to and paid them a visit. It was a couple who had just bought a house in town and are making a nice house an eyesore. They had a sort of hutch and another rabbit in it but no sign of the errant one. She said they try to keep him in the pen but he digs a 4 foot hole( yah right- that's a pretty big hole for a baby rabbit to dig) and escapes. I wondered why the other one didn't follow if that's the case. I suggested she  put a chicken wire floor in the hutch. I also mentioned the road and that gardeners often put chemicals on their plants and got a shrug.

Well for the last couple of weeks There has been no sign of the rabbit. No one seems to know what happened to it. It makes me sad and mad too. Why have an animal if you are not going to take care of it?

Edited by dowling gram

adiantum

The first cat I trapped  was in those days when the Ranger didnt collect strays.

I had a pickup/ ute  if one can exaggerate, as it was a Suzuki Mighty Boy.

That trap just fitted in the back tray.

Off I went to the pound.  With my two dogs in the front with me & hanging their heads out the window.

The bait I used in the trap was a resin budgerigar which sat proudly on the traps shelf.

Plus the angry cat that howled all the way sounding like a siren.

We certainly  attracted attention.

Image result for resin budgerigar

adiantum
22 hours ago, adiantum said:

The one thing I did see leaving the footpath was a disability walker.

It'd only been out for an hour when a car stopped & a man in his 40's folded it up & put it in his car.

Its a good feeling knowing someone mustve needed or wanted  it.

So much for feeling good about helping someone out.

That same man returned yesterday with a hammer & smashed up a bathroom basin to take the copper & brass fittings

He's a scrap metal collector... that walker couldve helped someone in need.

adiantum

The scrap metal collector has returned daily.

I'd like to ask him to clean the shed out instead of me carrying every little piece to the footpath but is it wise to have a stranger on your property?

adiantum

I'm feeling  tired, angry & frustrated.

I've got to clean my sons shed out.

He's in Queensland & unable to get down here for a while yet I want that shed empty.

Its full of metal stuff  ( car bits, copper, lead, brass, aluminium etc ) so I thought it'd be a simple job to get a scrap metal merchant to clean it out & give me the $'s

Not so...

They said if I put it all out the front of the property they would collect it  but its not a free service..I'd have to pay them.

Carrying it all 120feet isnt what I'd planned on doing.

Yes, they will pay for scrap but if I take it to them. I dont have a car nor pickup.

I'm so angry that I thought it'd be easier to burn the shed down..but that ^%$#@!!!  metal would not burn & I'd still have to clean it up.

The guy I'd intended to clean it out is now on crutches so unable to do it.

what's a girl to do?

adiantum

I've just phoned a handyman to  clean the shed out.

Ive no idea what he'll charge but it's just too big for me to do it .

He'll be here at the weekend.

adiantum

I shouldve said that my son is happy to pay someone to empty the shed , it's just me being a scrooge  that would prefer other options.

Its not as if theyre going to do a service to their detriment.

The going rate for a handyman is $50 an hour & thats fine,

but the scrap then becomes their property & they will make a good few $'s from the sales of the scrap.

adiantum

The de-cluttering saga...

I've put trailer loads of treasures on the footpath for people to take what they want.

Its interesting watching the collectors from behind the shrubs or through the windows.

Yesterday I put out a metal epns  basket that I sprayed with gold paint last xmas & had it as a table decoration with baubles & Pointsetias.

This man threw the floral display away & threw the basket on his pickup for scrap metal.

He then picked up 2 ornate metal stemmed goblets & threw the glass bowls on the grass just keeping the metal for scrap.

That really bothered me.

Others have cut open the backs of prints, paintings & tapestries & tossing the frames on the ground.

Apparently rumour has it that people used to hide money or valuable documents behind art work.

The best collectors yesterday was a mum & 3 girls.

I dont know how they fitted it all in their car but it was good seeing them have such a great time.

They will either keep it or sell it  but how good it was that they didnt destroy those things.

Kit

Hi everyone.

Having an oh so relaxing time.  I'm online briefly before mostly disappearing again for a few more days.  Cooling system on my computer is failing and I'm having the shop deal with it for me.  It starts overheating every time I do something more intensive than browse the web or read email.

This is a picture of the little town we're staying in.  I'm standing at the entrance to the path that goes down to the beach.  The little inn is to the right of the house you see there.

20180709_213741.thumb.jpg.a68e38db30bcbc6f00d9014ce16ca5e4.jpg

Monday was totally overcast with a little rain.  I did manage to hit the beach for a little bit before it got too late.

20180710_085218.thumb.jpg.48c6b07bd951849bc50cadc1a7568217.jpg

Tuesday started out overcast . . .

20180709_213425.thumb.jpg.b822731b652021c4a5079b3885addb44.jpg

but cleared up nicely by mid day.

20180710_163201.thumb.jpg.7fa5c0a21b5bd03987ab579d651067e4.jpg

I clocked in almost 30,000 steps for the day at an estimate of a little over 14 miles.  Basically I got to the beach, set my alarm for 1.5 hours, picked a direction and started walking.  When my alarm went off, I turned around and walked back.  I did that once in the morning after breakfast and once in the evening.  I've calmed down a little the following days, but have been hovering just under 20k steps pretty consistently.

I managed to grab a pic of sunset one evening.

20180710_215045.thumb.jpg.dc29ab4c8ccc9551e16858b4eef87943.jpg

What I enjoy the most is the feeling of isolation.  There are people around, but not in large numbers.

20180711_183532.thumb.jpg.acf6539729ceb1b1f508cb306d1ac40a.jpg

Lots of room to yourself.

And, of course, I managed to get a mild sunburn on my face, a little on my chest, and the tops of my feet.  Not my arms, I've been wearing a jacket every time I'm out.  The air coming off the Pacific is cold.  And by mid afternoon when the sun has had plenty of time to heat the sand, that wind blows hard!

20180712_060522.thumb.jpg.c23db988a028482c30f06c606cb9c457.jpg

I woke up at 5:30am this morning.  Grabbed some leftovers for breakfast and headed down again.  I think I saw two other people the entire time I was out.

janice21475

Kit, Thank you for the lovely pictures. Your time on the beach sounds intense. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself.

Hope your PC gets straightened out ASAP.

adiantum

WOW Kit.. all that nature & very few people to intrude upon your space.

Perfect !!

Love the photos & thanks for sharing them.

adiantum

I just tried to explain to my dog that his ball went down the drain because thats what happens on Friday the 13th.

I hope we've moved from here before that ball blocks the drain & the neighbours  get  flooded.

He must have another 50 tennis balls, yet thats the one he wants. 

Hammer
3 hours ago, adiantum said:

I just tried to explain to my dog that his ball went down the drain because thats what happens on Friday the 13th.

I hope we've moved from here before that ball blocks the drain & the neighbours  get  flooded.

He must have another 50 tennis balls, yet thats the one he wants. 

Lee, most types of balls float, so maybe take a garden hose, place it in the drain, and fill it up.  The ball should float up out of the drain.

adiantum

That wont work Hammer.. Its the same as this drain but on the other side of her property.

It drains underneath her neighbours land & out on the street.

I took the pic thinking he might like to know about that drain but it might be smarter to shut up about it.

Its no wonder her land is never boggy . She drains it all through to his place.

5b483bbe1d3e5_sell014.JPG.796614bfee1b3a9108e2c90cef53f63f.JPG

Edited by adiantum

meyery2k

The process of learning fascinates me.  The progression from concept -> study -> comprehension -> understanding -> practical application -> sharing/teaching is a rewarding part of life.

In "Oliver!", I have a solo part "Boy for Sale" where I have the stage to myself.  I am hawking Oliver on the street.  It is a very difficult song for me.  The music is written to say that the vocalist sets the tempo on the first two words on the song.  The orchestra than plays at that tempo.   The suggested tempo is 57 beats per minute (roughly 1 beat a second) and I just wasn't getting it.  I thought "easy peasy" this song is so slow but that is not the case.  Slow songs are the most difficult to perform because it becomes more difficult to convey emotion and the other pieces of the "it" quality in music.

Frankly, rehearsal was frustrating.  Suzi was always commenting that I needed to get the timing.  I sounded like a dirge.  It is supposed to be sad but not a dirge.  The frustration was knowing it was me and not being able to understand how to perform it correctly.  Hearing the orchestra play, I desired so strongly to perform well because it would sell the idea that we were selling Oliver into slavery convincingly.  It is a dark, sad piece and I could deliver if I just knew how.  I was nearly in tears at home some nights because I could almost see it but couldn't quite do it.

I finally reached understanding when a friend of mine suggested marching.  He read the music and said it was written out as a cadence so think of the army.  That became comprehension.  I played my metronome at 57 bpm to ingrain that beat in my mind so I could pick it up without thinking about it.  I can actually come pretty close without it now.  I have to stop at some points on stage because I need to finish the song as I walk off.  My friend suggested to just march in place (not too obviously) to help me keep the beat.  He also suggested tapping my finger on my leg, but I had difficulty changing from leg to finger to leg.

I sat down on the piano and drilled the notes into my head.  I just concentrated on playing the melody which helped me learn the key of C minor in which the piece is written.  @Fraser - All that theory and writing things out paid off!

Finally, finally, comprehension grew into understanding.  I marched everywhere singing.  The odd looks I got in the stores (perhaps I overdid it).  Opening night I spent 2 hours on the stage working out the timing.  Performance came and, to me, it was meh.  No comments from the director which means you got it right.  You have to be outstanding to get a compliment so when you get one it is earned.  Walter, the musical director, said I got it.  I wasn't feeling it though.  I knew it was better but, I also knew, I could do it better.  Satisfaction would be knowing I did my best and the effort was not my best.  I knew it.

I got up the next morning and randomly beat a rhythm.  I tested with a stopwatch and every time, I could spot on keep a close to 60 bpm beat.  That wasn't the problem.  I then went outside and marched and did it the first time.  I got all the timing right.  I have that sheet music memorized and knew I was just where I needed to be on every measure.  I even learned a trick to always hit the eighth notes.  I did this a second time and was spot on.  I then declared the rest of the day to be a no more "Oliver!" day.  It is possible to over practice and lose the edge.  I felt like I had it and wanted to keep it.

Last night's performance - The piece opens with the introduction, the music stops and this is the point where I can set the tempo and begin the piece.  I established my march in place and opened.  It was there.  I was even able to interact with the cast (acting as passersby, the actor's Mom is one of the people I hawk him to) and audience, showing Oliver off, I treated the audience like buyers showing Oliver to them.  I have about 90 seconds on stage which is a long, long time lol...

I had chicken skin (goose bumps), at the end.  Timing perfect.  I sold it.  I felt it in my bones.  I had that audience hooked.  I was hated, the bad guy.

At intermission, Walter said "All that hard work paid off!  You did it!".  A few members in the orchestra complimented me.  They knew what was going on.  I was told that now it was learned, the bell couldn't be unrung.  When real musicians offer compliments, I know that can be taken to the bank.  High fives all around!

Comprehension.

I am sorry this became so wordy.  I really needed to get this out of my system.  This has been a tense production.  Suzi is in Civil Defense, disaster recovery efforts, and this.  A mutual friend of ours mentioned she is burned out because all she deals with is hearing people's loss and trying to help which never seems quite enough.  For a time, I was considering not working with KDEN anymore but now my resolve is strengthened.  I understand she was pushing me so hard because she believed I could deliver.  That feeling of accomplishment is better than anything in the world.

adiantum

I'm thankful your post became wordy, I enjoyed reading every word.

Thanks for taking us through your journey.

3 hours ago, meyery2k said:

am sorry this became so wordy.

meyery2k

I just realized that the opening scene to "Oliver!" is played out daily at home.  The cats perform "Food, Glorious Food" with accompanying song and dance.  I set the tension by holding the food since they can't eat it until it is put down, they then eat furiously and want more.