Diabetes forums
Java

Daily Chat

TX_Clint

Makes my butt hurt just read that Mike.

I just got tickets to see Fleetwood Mac in February. Gonna be a lotta fun.

buddy7
3 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Trusty Fiare has carried me 10,000 km+ as of today.  For those of us in Burma, Liberia, or the United States of America, that is 6,213.711924 miles :)

Image may contain: bicycle, ocean and outdoor

Just for my curiosity Mike, how many flat tyres did you encounter?

meyery2k

@buddy7 - For this year, just one.  I have puncture resistant tires and they work well.  I have picked up nails, drill bits, screws, and all kinds of other crazy things.  My last flat was a staple that damaged the sidewall.  The tire was pretty worn out so it was time to change it anyway.  

This weekend, I am going to learn how to overhaul the hubs.  Bearings, grease, and my mechanical aptitude could make for an interesting day.

LCD
20 hours ago, adiantum said:

awwww whats made you confused LCD?

That I was slow in picking up on the rubbah?  No

or that rubbah slippas means  rubber slippers Yes - I was the slow one

meyery2k

Random thought to share.

On my bike, fitness rides are 50K.  Big rides are over 100K.  I still have my bike computer set to imperial but my targets are metric.

My 2019 resolution will be to set the bike computer to metric.

As was said of Barliman Butterbur in "The Fellowship of the Nine", not a quick thinker, but I can see through a brick wall in time.

janice21475

Hey Mike, Isn't it about time for a new 'musical'? Any clue on what is up for the next production?

meyery2k

@janice21475 - I can't believe I forgot to mention that we are doing "A Gilbert and Sullivan Christmas Carol" again.  We are back home in our theatre again.  We started blocking last night.  Yeah, I know this is last year's poster lol...

Image result for kden a gilbert and sullivan christmas carol

adiantum

Yesterday I watched a silly midday movie The Out-of-Towners with Goldie Hawn & Steve Martin.

I only watched it because I saw John Cleese was in it, & he had a part similar to that in a favourite "Fawlty Towers".

The real pleasure I had was seeing a a scene of a beautiful bridge in Central Park NYC

It was just a brief glimpse so mightve been the Southwest Reservoir Bridge like in this pic  or The Bridle Path

Ornate bridges are such beautiful yet practical features.

Sending a " lucky you " congrats to all who have seen it in real life.

Image result for bridle path bridge central park

Hammer

Hmm, I have only used the light olive oil once, a long time ago, so does anyone know that, once you open it, does it need to be refrigerated?  If I recall, I tried to refrigerate it in the past and it got thick and needed to be left out of the refrigerator for a while before you could use it.  I know that corn oil does not need to be refrigerated, but I keep it in the refrigerator anyway, and it does okay there.  I only keep it now because I have two of those ancient "Uncandles" that my wife bought many years ago.  My uncandles are similar to the ones in this short video, but mine are a lot larger.  They were popular back when 7-UP was called the uncola, and I think my oil lamps were made by the Pepsi Cola people (Pepsico).  I believe that olive oil will also work in these lamps, but I'm not sure since I haven't tried it. (I've used these lamps when power went out on a number of occasions.)

Hammer
8 minutes ago, Dave_KC said:

I don't think you need to, or should refrigerate olive oil.  I never do and mine are fine. 

Okay, thanks Dave!  I just bought a small bottle of it to put on my brussel sprouts when I cook them, and I wasn't sure if I needed to refrigerate it after I opened it, since I have more than one pack of brussel sprouts to eat over the next week or so.  I usually use corn oil instead of olive oil, but olive oil tastes almost as good as olive oil, plus, olive oil is much better for you, so I decided to switch to it.

dowling gram

I have never seen light olive oil so I decided to look it up and found some interesting facts about olive oil. Here's an excerpt from one site.

Olive oil is graded by its level of acidity, or free oleic acid. The amount of free oleic acid in olive oil indicates the extent to which fat has broken down into fatty acids.

The light in light olive oil refers to the taste. Since it doesn't burn as easily at high heat I'd think the fat had been broken down a lot. This is just an opinion and would like anyone who's tried it to let me know if I'm right.

Dave_KC

@Hammer, while I don't think it's necessary to refrigerate Olive Oil, you probably should refrigerate the brussel sprouts...  although I personally think their best use was feeding them to my sister's rabbits in Arkansas...  since I can't stand them!  

But you do, so enjoy!  

adiantum

Dont totally give up on  them @Dave_KC as they one day might just become your favourite vegetable.

Well, thats what happened to me.

I was once like you but when shopping with a friend she suggested I try the small ones.

They were great especially with butter or rolled in bacon fat.

Now, I but packets of them frozen & just get 2 or 3 serves from a bag.

I microwave a bowl of  them for 7 mins with butter or occasionally  I melt cheese on top.

@Hammer , I'd not bother putting olive oil in the fridge. Ive never done it but admit it doesnt have a forever shelf life.

Thanks for the suggestion & I'll try it on  brusell sprouts.

Edited by adiantum

Hammer
4 hours ago, adiantum said:

@Hammer , I'd not bother putting olive oil in the fridge. Ive never done it but admit it doesnt have a forever shelf life.

Thanks for the suggestion & I'll try it on  brusell sprouts.

Lee, when I cook brussel sprouts, I use the frozen baby brussel sprouts, and put them in a pot, then fill the pot with enough water to cover over all of the brussel sprouts. (I've also used fresh brussel sprouts that a friend of mine grew in her garden.)  I'll bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.  I'll let them simmer until they are soft all of the way through.(usually, the outer leaves of the sprouts will begin to fall off, but you don't have to wait till that happens.)  I'll dump out the water in the pot, then I'll pour the oil (I was using corn oil, but now it'll be light olive oil) over the sprouts.  I'll add just enough oil to lightly cover the sprouts. (you don't want to add so much oil that the sprouts are floating in it.)  Next I'll add a liberal amount of garlic salt to the sprouts, then I'll cover the pot and shake it to mix everything up, turning the pot over briefly a few times to help mix it all up.  I'll then just take the cover off of the pot, and eat the sprouts right out of the pot.  If you'd rather not add a liberal amount of garlic salt to the pot, add a small amount, then leave the garlic salt container on the table so that you can add more if you need to.    You can also add pepper to the pot before you mix it up, or add pepper as you are eating them.

There are a number of other vegetables that you can season this way....my mother would place some fresh broccoli on a glass pie dish, then put two tablespoons of water in the dish, cover the dish with plastic wrap, like Saran Wrap, leaving one small opening to allow the water to vent.  She would them microwave the broccoli for roughly 7-8 minutes, depending on how much broccoli was in the dish. (she microwaved it until the broccoli was tender.)  She'd remove the Saran Wrap, and add some light olive oil and garlic salt to it, and serve it.

Adding olive oil and garlic salt to other vegetables also tastes good....green beans, asparagus, mixed vegetables which is a combination of diced carrots, peas, corn, lima beans, and green beans.  Pretty much anything that you would add butter to, you can add olive oil and garlic salt to.  I used corn oil in the past, because a lot of people add margarine to their vegetables, and some margarines are made from corn oil, so why not just add the corn oil instead of the margarine?  Of course, now that margarine is bad for you, so is the corn oil, so that's why I switched to olive oil, which is what my mother always used.  Corn oil has a richer taste than olive oil, but they both taste good.

Edited by Hammer

Hammer

I just got a statement from my medical insurance company today, detailing last month's charges, as well as year to date totals.  Those tests that I had done....the nuclear stress test, the cardiac catheter test, all of the EKGs, the echo-cardiogram, all of the various doctor's office visits, lab tests, etc., have so far this year, come to a total of $25, 415......my out-of-pocket cost for all of this has been $760.  I guess this new insurance coverage that I was switched to this year, isn't as bad as I thought it was.  I'd be financially stressed if I didn't have it, so I can't complain, it's just that, as I received each bill that I had to pay for, it seemed like a lot of money at the time, but I didn't know what the amounts were that the providers charged.  Now that I see the totals that the provider charged, compared to what my out of pocket expenses were, it puts it into a better perspective for me.

don1942

On Memorial Day I went to the hospital for a heart attack. I was in for four days,  Including a heart cathertezation. and the total bill was over $85,000. My share was $160. However, the cost for my Guardian 3 sensors is $350 per month.

meyery2k

Got an early start this morning.  Caught the sunrise and rode up to Pepeekeo village to visit Pickles, the cat, at the coffee shop up there.  Got home and took Fiare apart completely, cleaned her, replaced worn out components, put her back together.  All in all a satisfying day...

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: cat

meyery2k

Yesterday, I found that I put my bike together correctly again, lol...

Interesting article about pigs.  I have commented earlier about them becoming a nuisance because people feed them...

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/12/03/hawaii-news/aggressive-pigs-becoming-a-nuisance-at-some-state-parks/

adiantum

Feral pigs have always been ferociously aggressive here. 

When walking through the forest I always look for cloven footprints & get the heIl out of there if I see one.

Our feral pigs dont look as cute as Hawaii's... maybe theyre a different species.

meyery2k

Yes.  It is all great until someone is bitten badly or gored.  I am not against fun but feeding feral animals just teaches them to associate human presence with food.  I don't feed them and stay well away from sows with young.  They are not at all predictable.

adiantum

My garden is receiving daily visits from Galah's  now that the Acacia seeds have set.

galahs3.jpg?itok=qSPFRIlU

adiantum

We have a problem with tourists feeding Kangaroos that live on the site of a hospital at Morisset.

The tourists complains when theyre attacked & the kangaroos become victims once again.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5781190/hopping-mad-morisset-kangaroos-off-limits/

Kroosn Shuttle Service operator Shane Lewis brought his concerns about the kangaroos - and attacks - at Morisset to Lake Macquarie Greg Piper and asked for help. Picture: Kroosn Shuttle Service.