Diabetes forums
Java

Daily Chat

meyery2k

Precisely - People feed them in spite of being asked not to and, when there is the inevitable incident, the animal(s) are "dealt with".  There is no denying that photo of the young lady with the kangaroo is cute.  It was likely a fun experience.  Unfortunately, the behaviors of people and animals are not consistent and the next person to attempt that may inadvertently signal aggression towards the roo resulting in an attack.

Enough of the soapbox. Here is another kangaroo/human encounter that was accidental...

It was too bad the cyclist needed some stitches in her knee, but what a story eh?

dowling gram

Feeding any wild animal is a bad idea as is leaving food our when you are where wild animals live. These things do not only occur in Australia and Hawaii but around the world. Those that do are not only asking to be attacked but make animals associate humans with food. Often those animals become rogue animals who are shot for harassing people. We in Canada see it all the time in our national parks despite signs saying don't feed the animals.

adiantum

poor roo..poor cyclist but I still had a giggle at such a surprise encounter.

Ive just wasted an hour this morning looking for chain & bar oil for my chainsaw.

It amazes me that a house can have so many great hiding places that mustve seemed a good place at the time.

Eventually, I left the dead shrub or smalll tree there & worked around it.

Now I look as if Ive been in a battle with a jumping roo.

Scratched to pieces & didnt think to check my BG with all those blood samples  that presented themselves  on arms,hands & legs.

I " think " ive made my yard secure now but what a challenge it has been.

I was in behind  this 8ft dead tree & was reminded of the motion sensor security alarm I'd set.

Wow that thing makes a noise & it took a few more scratches to get out from behind that dead tree to turn it off.

adiantum
On 12/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, Hammer said:

Next I'll add a liberal amount of garlic salt to the sprouts, then I'll cover the pot and shake it to mix everything up, turning the pot over briefly a few times to help mix it all up.  I'll then just take the cover off of the pot, and eat the sprouts right out of the pot.  If you'd rather not add a liberal amount of garlic salt to the pot, add a small amount, then leave the garlic salt container on the table so that you can add more if you need to

I just had a bowl of brussell sprouts for dinner which reminded me to reply to you @Hammer

I used 50/50 olive oil & butter this time but sometimes Ive made up garlic butter to use for a change.

I dont use salt, not even garlic salt as it covers the flavour of the food making it taste of salt.

Pepper is fine but definitely no salt.

Hammer

Lee, one time I was out  of garlic salt, but I had garlic powder, so I used a little bit of that, but garlic powder is a lot stronger than garlic salt, and it overpowered the brussel sprouts.  The reasons I like garlic salt are because it adds that garlic flavor, and the salt is very weak.  I usually have to add extra garlic salt in order to get a hint of salt, so the salt isn't overpowering.

Hmmm, I was just thinking...I wonder how brussel sprouts would taste if I added the olive oil, and instead of garlic salt, I added Old Bay Seasoning?  I don't know if they have Old Bay Seasoning where you live, but it seems like Old Bay can be used to flavor many different foods.  I've eaten it in shrimp salad, potato salad, I've sprinkled it on hard boiled eggs, they make Old Bay seasoned potato chips, Old Bay seasoned cheese balls and cheese curls, etc.  The uses are endless...

Hammer

Well, it seems that the two new blood pressure pills that the cardiologist prescribed for me, the Metoprolol Tartrate, and the Isosorbide Mono ER (mainly the Isosorbide Mono ER), are causing me to retain water.  My feet, ankles, legs, arms and hands are swollen, just like they swelled up when I stopped taking the blood pressure pill that also contained a diuretic, and switched to the version that didn't have the diuretic, for 5 days.  I'll see what my doctor has to say about this when I see her in a few weeks.  I see the cardiologist a week after I see her, so I'll see what he has to say.

adiantum

It took me ages to get used to not having salt but discovered how strong flavours of foods really are without it.

I like the taste of brussel sprouts without spices but do like them with butter or olive oil.

Boiled eggs without salt are amazingly strong flavoured.

Hammer, I hope they can do something about that fluid retention.

I just cant take meds. I tried  some for BP but that caused  chest pain & what seemed like gout.

For that I took anti inflamatories & they caused oedema.

dowling gram

Hammer please try to see a doctor sooner. Swelling can be dangerous. If it effects your throat or face at all you won't be able to breathe and it also puts a strain on your organs.

My friends son had an allergic reaction to penicillin that caused swelling of his body. He saw his doctor and was sent to the hospital immediately. They admitted him and he stayed there until the swelling went down to a point they knew it wouldn't be dangerous

Hammer

Dowling gram, the swelling is not an allergic reaction to anything, it is just water retention.  The reason I know this is, well, first, I am not allergic to anything.  Second, in the past, when I would eat too much salt, I'd get the same swelling.  Since I've experienced this swelling before, I know that it's water retention that is causing it.  What bothers me is, why would they prescribe a blood pressure medication that causes you to retain water, when retaining water increases your blood pressure?  That's the same as doctors prescribing to a type 2 diabetic patient, a statin, when statins can cause type 2 diabetes, I mean DUH!

meyery2k

Trainwreck Wednesday.  First rehearsal where we run through the whole show with choreography and music.

I found a wig that was a perfect match to be a "drunkle" (drunk uncle) in a later party scene.  Perfect match with the shabby coat I will be wearing and my crotchety demeanor as scripted.

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, people standing, night and indoor

Kit

You crotchety?  I have trouble believing that.  :)

janice21475

Very interesting, Mike, thanks for posting the link. One of my favorite books is all about the mechanics of sailing and surviving. There are many 1st hand tales of unbelievable survival stories. I do not ever believe I will be on the ocean but like to read about it.

adiantum

What a great story Mike.

The most exciting , intelligent,  adventurist & fun loving woman I've ever known was Ann Gash.

Ann wanted to attend a school of music in England. She bought a ply boat" Iloura"  & a sextant, went to tertiary school to learn navigation & then sailed around the world solo in 1975.

This was without sponsors, computers  nor expensive equipment.

She wrote her book  " a star to steer her by " 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/this-sailing-granny-went-solo-20060620-gdnshc.html

"

I

adiantum

I guess I was blinded by the " half price sale " when putting my grocery order in, so didnt research this new to me product.

" No Sugar Added No Bake Protein Ball Mix " and " No Bake Coconut Bliss Ball Mix "

The real story is...

No Sugar Added is the name of the company.

To make these , you add 4Tbsp No Sugar Added brown rice syrup in one or in the other you need to add No Added Sugar Rice Malt Syrup

...............at 79g carbs per 100g.

meyery2k

My "End Polio Now" cycling jersey arrived just in time for me to man the booth at the craft fair...

There is another cyclist in the club that was there and she was amazed that I could get one of these.  They are tough to find.

Image may contain: 2 people, including Michael Meyer, people smiling, people standing

meyery2k

Couple of fun shots from rehearsal...

Last night was partial dress rehearsal.  I was in my get up for this party scene and Director Suzi justs bursts out laughing.  Slapping thighs and everything.  She apologizes and explains the costume is fine.  Just the bare legs.  Apparently I pulled off a "flasher" vibe from the 70's...  I wore shorts and slippers to rehearsal and didn't bother putting pants on.

The 2nd photo is me in "drunkle" mode.  With a few days of stubble, I should pull it off well.  I am even able to mish mash my lines just a little to pull off the drunk uncle. 

Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting, table and indoor 

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and wedding

janice21475

Mike,  Love the mental pictures you give of the rehearsals. In the above picture the young woman in blue seems to be the only one that is 'sober.' She has that look you get when you think you are surrounded by a bunch of nuts. :) Your picture journey of this production promises to be fun.

adiantum

Is that a dirty old man in a trench coat sitting at the table?

a girl could create many captions  of what the others were saying :rofl: 

It's no wonder that Hibiscus caught your eye.. it's stunning.

They scream Hawaiian but are native to East Asia. Just like people that migrate to a new country & embrace it as  their own.

adiantum

The streets are glimmering at night around this neighbourhood, even street trees have had their trunks & branches wrapped with flashing party lights.

Trying to get into the spirit, I walked the dog stopping to look at the individual displays.

We had to walk on the footpath as there was a procession of cars driving along very slowly admiring the scene just like us.

Those drivers were looking at the nodding reindeer's & blow up santas & not looking at the road.

I'm convinced my dog was an electrician in his last life.

He checked each of his favourite pissing trees, yet didnt pass a drop on any of them.

meyery2k

Last year, I thought about decorating Fiare, but didn't.  This year, I got around to actually doing it. :)

Image may contain: bicycle