Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

janice21475
On 2/6/2019 at 8:50 AM, dowling gram said:

Doctors---They got it in their heads that salt produced high blood pressure and heart problems and cut everyone off of it. Even those who did not use salt to excess or had no blood pressure or heart problems.

If I am able to avoid sodium close to 100% - I do not need to take Blood Pressure pills. But this means eating 'nothing' prepared. Nothing canned, even frozen. Life gets in the way but I do the best I can.

Kit

Argh! Well I made a stupid mistake. Mr Fuzzy had groceries delivered today and I though I would stop by store on way home to pickup a few things I like to pick out by hand.  I was not thinking that they are calling for more snow, or as most people in this area think of as armageddon and the end of the world. 

I've been standing in line for 20 minutes to check out and have made very little progress. Maybe I will get out of here before the store closes. I have given up hope that the dinner I picked up at the deli will still be warm. Maybe I'll just eat it now and keep the price tag for check out. 

Kit

When you spend 40 minutes waiting in line you get bored and start looking at other people's stuff. What is so important for people to have in prep for snow and the end of the world? 

Crackers, cookies, chips, cases of soda, beer, pudding snack packs, candy. 

One person had chocolate milk. And there's a strange oddball woman next to me with a cart full of meats and fresh vegetables. 

Something seems so wrong here. You'd almost think it was the super bowl again only without the chicken wings and 7 layer dip. 

Hey, someone had Atkins shakes. 

I'm so bored and dinner is stone cold. Book I'm reading is good though. It's about the people involved with the Phoenix Mars lander. 

Hammer
2 hours ago, Kit said:

When you spend 40 minutes waiting in line you get bored and start looking at other people's stuff. What is so important for people to have in prep for snow and the end of the world? 

Crackers, cookies, chips, cases of soda, beer, pudding snack packs, candy. 

One person had chocolate milk. And there's a strange oddball woman next to me with a cart full of meats and fresh vegetables. 

Something seems so wrong here. You'd almost think it was the super bowl again only without the chicken wings and 7 layer dip. 

Hey, someone had Atkins shakes. 

I'm so bored and dinner is stone cold. Book I'm reading is good though. It's about the people involved with the Phoenix Mars lander. 

Kit, in my neck of the woods, when they are calling for snow, the grocery stores are filled with people buying three typical things....bread, milk and toilet paper.  Many years ago, I was watching a Johnny Carson show, and he said that he was the reason that people buy toilet paper with it snows.  He said that he once made a joke about the stores running out of toilet paper when they were calling for snow, and for some reason, everyone thought that was true.  From then on, everyone rushes out to get toilet paper when they are calling for snow.  What I can't figure, is why people run out to buy toilet paper?  I mean, how long do they think they'll be snowed in?....a day?...a few days?....maybe a week?  Don't they keep enough toilet paper on hand for at least a week?  Heck, I keep enough to last me for months.  If it snowed tonight, and I got snowed in (that's never happened to me, even when we had blizzards), I wouldn't need to buy toilet paper until April.

dowling gram
4 hours ago, Hammer said:

Kit, in my neck of the woods, when they are calling for snow, the grocery stores are filled with people buying three typical things....bread, milk and toilet paper.  Many years ago, I was watching a Johnny Carson show, and he said that he was the reason that people buy toilet paper with it snows.  He said that he once made a joke about the stores running out of toilet paper when they were calling for snow, and for some reason, everyone thought that was true.  From then on, everyone rushes out to get toilet paper when they are calling for snow.  What I can't figure, is why people run out to buy toilet paper?  I mean, how long do they think they'll be snowed in?....a day?...a few days?....maybe a week?  Don't they keep enough toilet paper on hand for at least a week?  Heck, I keep enough to last me for months.  If it snowed tonight, and I got snowed in (that's never happened to me, even when we had blizzards), I wouldn't need to buy toilet paper until April.

The bread and milk I can understand but Toilet paper--really.  Like you I have a stock of toilet paper that I buy on sale. When they are calling for snow here life goes on as usual unless they are calling for a blizzard or freezing rain

janice21475
7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Kit, in my neck of the woods, when they are calling for snow, the grocery stores are filled with people buying three typical things....bread, milk and toilet paper. . . . . . If it snowed tonight, and I got snowed in (that's never happened to me, even when we had blizzards), I wouldn't need to buy toilet paper until April. 

Hammer, This is one of your best posts. I like a man who has his priorities in order. Thumbs up!

meyery2k

Here in Hawaii, the equivalent would be a hurricane or, if there is enough warning, a tsunami.

When this happens, toilet paper, rice, bottled water, and Spam (yes Spam) will run out in short order.

The last few times, the event was did not happen and everyone would then try and return all the items which led to a bit of a conflict.  The stores did not want to take the items back for the obvious reason that they ordered replacement inventory and did not have room for all the returned stock plus having to refund back all the money spent.  The customers were upset they could not return the items.  

The op-ed in the paper brought up the obvious of course.  You could keep the items on hand and always be prepared (what a concept).  

Now the policy is no returns on rice or water, ever.  The justification was that it could be easily tampered with and not obvious when being returned.  When the fact that the water had a seal was mentioned, it was explained that the store staff would not be obligated to closely check that and they were backed by the health department.

So, go ahead, enjoy a little Spam as part of this nutritious meal 🍽️

SpamClassic_Instagram.thumb.jpg.6111b72fa8b0760b90d6ee8d649a607b.jpg

Kit

I can understand things like bread, canned foods, and similar items that are more shelf stable and don't require cooking (in case power goes out).  I can even understand toilet paper in a way since it would be pretty miserable running out and being unable to get out for more.  But the sheer massive amounts of total and complete junk food kind of boggled my mind.  One person had 3 super sized boxes of pop tarts.

I picked up a really nice looking pork roast that I plan on sticking in the oven in the morning.

adiantum

We are to have really strong winds & hail so I guess I'll be staying inside too.

don1942
4 hours ago, Hammer said:

I like Spam, but I can't eat it because it has too much sodium.

I get lots of spam on my phone everyday. Never had a sodium problem.

adiantum

If theres a hurricane or flood imminent  people stock up on toilet tissue, canned food,  batteries, bottled water & beer.

They also get the gas bottles filled & perhaps buy an extra bottle.

Having the cars  petrol tank filled is a must to avoid the queues when the emergency happens .

ran23

Dinner out, no idea what is being served at a neighbor's house.   Just found out it is the Japanese family, oh goodie. 

Kit

People in this area can be interesting.  Seen on the way home.  A FWD vehicle with chains on the back wheels.

The snow started coming down at around 12:30.  Great big huge massive beautiful flakes.  So pretty.  Work kicked me out and sent me home.  Took me 3 hours to drive about 32 miles.  Everyone was heading home at the same time.  Highways were staying clear but, as I live on a ridge, it was sticking when I got close to home.  The road going to my subdivision was a parking lot as people abandoned their cars.  I didn't have any issues.  Just slow and steady and I got home just fine.

We should supposedly get somewhere between 5 and 7 inches.  Looked like 203 inches already when I got here.  Guess my exercise is going to be shoveling snow this weekend.  :)

Hammer
10 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Here in Hawaii, the equivalent would be a hurricane or, if there is enough warning, a tsunami.

When this happens, toilet paper, rice, bottled water, and Spam (yes Spam) will run out in short order.

The last few times, the event was did not happen and everyone would then try and return all the items which led to a bit of a conflict.  The stores did not want to take the items back for the obvious reason that they ordered replacement inventory and did not have room for all the returned stock plus having to refund back all the money spent.  The customers were upset they could not return the items.  

The op-ed in the paper brought up the obvious of course.  You could keep the items on hand and always be prepared (what a concept).  

Now the policy is no returns on rice or water, ever.  The justification was that it could be easily tampered with and not obvious when being returned.  When the fact that the water had a seal was mentioned, it was explained that the store staff would not be obligated to closely check that and they were backed by the health department.

So, go ahead, enjoy a little Spam as part of this nutritious meal 🍽️

SpamClassic_Instagram.thumb.jpg.6111b72fa8b0760b90d6ee8d649a607b.jpg

Mike, that looks really good!  It got me to wondering....when I go out to eat for breakfast, I always ask if they have scrapple, and if they do, I always get it.  What surprised me is that, a lot of people have never heard of scrapple, so when I order it, some people have no idea what it is.  I used to joke and say that scrapple was made from the scraps of meat products that were left on the floor of the processing plant.  Those scraps were then ground up, mixed together and were sold as scrapple, hence the name scrapple.😄

When I order scrapple and eggs, I always tell the server that I want the eggs cooked over easy, that way, there is still a lot of yolk left in them to mix up with the scrapple.  A lot of people will just pour pancake syrup on the scrapple to make it more juicy.  I used to do that, but now, I can't afford the carbs in the syrup, so I try to get my eggs as juicy as possible.

I wonder how many people here have ever heard of scrapple, or have eaten it?

Plate_of_scrapple.thumb.jpg.d91c317a084508e9d0154219afb7af15.jpg

Fraser

Well I once had a boyfriend who was from the south in the USA. Loved Scrapple.  I probably should have have dumped him sooner. 

LOL

ran23

Snow expected on the valley floor where I live tonight.  brand new snow shovel ready.

Kit

We got the official count.

Seatac Airport (not far from me) got over 6.5 inches between yesterday and early this morning.

Snow.thumb.jpg.2c3aedcef5bda7af07e92e147ad6cfef.jpg

I don't believe I have ever heard of scrapple before.  I wonder what it tastes like.

Edited by Kit

adiantum

What fabulous work outs you folk will get while shoveling that snow.

Youve convinced me to stop looking at real estate in cold country... I just couldnt do it...but wow it looks beautiful.

adiantum

I've not heard of scrapple before but recalled a processed canned food that was around when I was a child...Mother made my school lunch of camp pie & tomato sauce sandwiches.  It was edible but I much preferred left over fried fish sandwiches.

Camp Pie !! :rofl: 

Image result for camp pie in a tin

"Camp Pie is generally made from beef and/or mutton. It was very popular until the 1950s and was eaten cold with salad, or sliced and fried."

Hammer
On 2/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, Kit said:

People in this area can be interesting.  Seen on the way home.  A FWD vehicle with chains on the back wheels.

I wonder if FWD meant front wheel drive or four wheel drive?  I used to use tire chains on my cars, but because they were all front wheel drive, I obviously put the chains on the front tires, and if you've never experienced that, it's like driving over bricks.  The steering wheel vibrates and the car it being shaken to death.  After a few seasons of that, I switched to snow tires in the winter.(all season tires are pretty much worthless in snow, which is why I put four snow tires on my car.)

Fraser

FWD is front wheel drive. AWD is all wheel drive (like a Subaru) and 4WD is four wheel drive like a Jeep or ruck. Or early Subaru’s 

for AWD the car controls things, 4 wheel drive has to be manually shifted into and ouf  of the mode. 

AWDis the more manageable system where the car senses wheel slippage and transfers the drive to other wheels.

if that helps

FYI the 4 wheel drive vehicle i have had are great on the road, but really hard to turn and park like in the city