Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Kit
36 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I wonder if FWD meant front wheel drive or four wheel drive?  I used to use tire chains on my cars, but because they were all front wheel drive, I obviously put the chains on the front tires, and if you've never experienced that, it's like driving over bricks.  The steering wheel vibrates and the car it being shaken to death.  After a few seasons of that, I switched to snow tires in the winter.(all season tires are pretty much worthless in snow, which is why I put four snow tires on my car.)

Sorry, that was front wheel drive.  And yes, quite useless for the chains to be on the back wheels.  That was kind of the point to the comment.

In all honesty we haven't had snow like this since 1996 and in over less than 24 hours got more snow than we normally see over an entire year.  People in the area are just clueless unless they came from somewhere where snowy winters are normal.  For example, I wore nothing but sandals for the first couple of years after I moved here.  Never got cold enough to need more.  I only stopped because I got tired of wet feet.

Chains are for when people go up into the mountains to ski, not a entire winter thing.

Actually I ran across a radio conversation that the cluelessness is the exact same reason I was seeing such weird behavior in the stores.  OMG we're getting snow!  We need supplies!  But we have no clue what to get.  So we'll buy anything and everything!!!

I had to calm down a coworker.  She is from southern California and she was convinced that it was going to be armageddon.   Yeah, there's going to be a bunch of snow.  And yeah, most people are going to be home bound for a few days.  But I also told her of the time my mother sent me out to buy floor wax in much worse.  I was 19 at the time, had limited driving experience, and was on two lane rural roads for most of the way.

And for fun, we've got 2 more storm systems coming in with the potential of dumping another 8 inches of snow on us between now and Tuesday.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by Kit

Hammer

For those that don't know, 4 wheel drive is actually 2 wheel drive.  The reason that it's called 4 wheel drive is because the one front wheel, and the one rear wheel that these vehicles have turning, will switch to the other front wheel or rear wheel if the other wheel is spinning.  That's why it's called 4 wheel drive, but keep in mind, that not all 4 wheels are spinning at the same time.  When I bought my Dodge Durango, I made sure that it was all wheel drive, not 4 wheel drive.  With all wheel drive, all four tires are spinning at the same time.  My garden tractor is 4 wheel drive, and in the snow, I can see that only one front wheel and one back wheel spin at the same time.  If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle and don't believe me, take your vehicle to a service station and have them put it on a lift, then raise the lift a few feet off of the floor.  Have someone get in the vehicle, start it up, and put it in gear, and see how many wheels spin.  Think....if 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive are the same, why do they have two different names?  Why not just call them all wheel drive?

adiantum

Theres a great photo in that link Mike. Its of locals dressed in shorts taking photos of the distant snow.

Ive never thought so much of snow as i have this year.

The media covered Seattle's snow &  predicted rain.

I recalled KIt mentioning the gutters filled with snow... I guess that rain will just turn it to ice & floods could eventuate.

Such thoughts made me stop complaining of the heat .

adiantum

Recycled metals from a crematorium.

WARNING: Some readers may find the images below confronting.

"As cremation continues to increase in popularity, it gives rise to an uncomfortable question — what happens to the gold fillings, stainless steel plates and titanium hip replacement parts that are left in the ashes?

Perth's Karrakatta Crematorium has come up with a novel answer that avoids these precious metals being consigned to landfill, while also providing a benefit to charities.

Since 2013, the crematorium has sent more than 19 tonnes of precious metals to the Netherlands to be melted down as part of a precious metals recycling program.

In the process it has raised more than $300,000 to help cancer patients.....

"We pick out the most obvious ones, the hip joints and larger ones, but then we have a cremulator which is a machine which filters the human ash, and that extracts some other metals as well," he said.

"When you see what's left, it looks like ash but it's actually fine metals.

"There seems to be a heck of a lot of metal hip joints.

"It's a bit of a surprise sometimes when you look into the containers. It ranges from titanium, to cobalt, to stainless steel and a bit of gold.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-13/crematorium-recycled-metal-body-parts-become-charity-windfall/10804954

Kit
6 hours ago, adiantum said:

The media covered Seattle's snow &  predicted rain.

I recalled KIt mentioning the gutters filled with snow... I guess that rain will just turn it to ice & floods could eventuate.

Such thoughts made me stop complaining of the heat .

Blocked gutters?

Here's your blocked gutters.

20190212_162422.thumb.jpg.4047a91266a0ef450586c60e53d21acc.jpg

If I'm lucky I might be able to make a break for it tomorrow.  I just need to clear a portion of the road.  but I broke my shovel handle.  Neighbor has promised to let me borrow his in the morning so I can finish clearing to the road.

Edited by Kit

adiantum

Crikey...You need better neighbours then one that lends a shovel..see if theres a house for sale near Hammer.. He'd plow the  the gutter, footpath & even the road for you.

That photo tells so many stories.. Is that a car hiding under the snow  in the left foreground ?

Is it a one way street?

Are those garbage bins on the footpath?

Amazing scene Kit !!

Hammer
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Crikey...You need better neighbours then one that lends a shovel..see if theres a house for sale near Hammer.. He'd plow the  the gutter, footpath & even the road for you.

That photo tells so many stories.. Is that a car hiding under the snow  in the left foreground ?

Is it a one way street?

Amazing scene Kit !!

Yes, that's what I do when we get snow here.  I use my snowblower to first clear off my driveway, then, I go out on the road in front of my house, and clear it off from my house, to the intersection where my road ends.  I clear off the road so that when the snowplow comes through here, it doesn't plow me or my neighbors in.  I don't clear off my road from my house in the other direction (I live on a cul-de-sac) because that would take too much fuel, and I'm the only person here that has a diesel tractor, so no one else stores diesel fuel.  If I see someone struggling, I'll go and help them out.  The people on the other side of the street have short driveways that they have to clear, but on my side of the street, our driveways are a lot longer....mine is 140 feet (42 meters) long.

They are calling for snow again this weekend, so I'll have to wait and see if it develops.  Where I live, the weather forecast is never right, we just have to wait and see what happens.  The old joke around here is, "if you don't like the radio or TV announcer's weather forecast, change stations and you'll get a different forecast."☺️ 

In the past, we've had forecasts of a major snowstorm that was going to dump 12-15 inches (30-38 cm) on us, and we ended up having a sunny and mild day.  We've had forecasts that were calling for snow flurries, and we got 36 inches (91cm) of snow, so we never know what to expect.  I guess we could have said that, yes, we did get snow flurries....36 inches of them.☺️

Many years ago (before I had a snowblower), it snowed when I was at work.  When I got home, the snowplow had plowed my driveway in.  My wife and I went out to try to clear off the snow, but the plowed snow was at least 6 feet (1.8 meters) high.  After an hour of shoveling, we had only been able to move that wall of snow back 1 foot (.3 meters).  We saw a farmer with a front end loader driving past, so we called to him, and he came over and cleared my driveway off (we paid him for doing that).  Even though I was a lot younger and in much better shape, there was no way that I could have cleared off my driveway.  Just trying to get to my house, walking through snow that was up to my thighs, was extremely difficult.  That's one of the main reasons why I now have a tractor with a snowblower attachment, and an all wheel drive SUV....I'm too old to be shoveling snow, and I need an all wheel drive vehicle that will drive in the snow.

Edited by Hammer

TX_Clint

I freak over my plants when we get snow here. Yep, it did happen in 08. Last year we had a hard freeze that killed two of my queen palms. This year we had a chill in the air for a few days. The neighbor is making a racket this morning mowing grass and making me feel bad because mine needs it and I'm not really in the mood. Spring is coming guys just hang in there.

Kit
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

Is it a one way street?

Amazing scene Kit !!

Yes, that was my car at around 4:30pm last night. 

No, its not a one way street.  There are two lanes.

The garbage cans are actually in the road, no sidewalks in this area of the neighborhood.

Took a walk this morning.  Some more people trying to get out, but the only ones making it are 4wd or awd.

Hammer, we have a similar joke here.  With so many micro climates, we joke that any meteorologists have nervous breakdowns within the first year.  :D

dowling gram

KIt That's not much snow. We got that much yesterday to add to the 5 or 6 foot snowbanks I have in front of my house. I usually measure the amount of snow we get in a winter by the 4 foot fence I have around my property. Usually There's about 6 or 8 inches showing when the snow is at it's highest. This year it's over the fence and I have at least a foot on top of my roof.

Of course we are used to dealing with snow and our cities are equipped to handle it. It's areas that seldom get snow that have a hard time dealing with it

Kit

Mr Fuzzy made a call today to see how much it would come to plow a route from our house to the gate.  Likely won't hear back until its all gone and no longer needed.  The problem here are the hills and the fact that we do not treat our roads AT ALL and a state of emergency has to be declared in order to free up funds for snow plows and similar.  And then I live in a HOA which means that even if the city did everything perfectly, they won't here because its all private property.

I found the official amount.  We got 20 inches of snow in less than 1 week time.  Thankfully we got some serious melt yesterday and today.  I managed to clear my driveway and into the road far enough to get to one of the ruts (with a broken shovel, neighbor flaked).  I'm going to try making a break for it this afternoon/evening before it gets too cold and dark.  Sadly tonight's low is supposed to be 27.  I'm really hoping Kit's Pond (the mass of water in the dip) doesn't freeze solid over night.  :)

Everyone concentrate in making sure we don't drop below freezing tonight.  :)

adiantum

Your lives are so different to that in my climate. 20inches of snow is half a meter..wow. So where do you shovel it ?

I hope Mr Fuzzy's phone call has immediate success...or that Santa brings him a snow plow next xmas. He could make a mint just clearing the neighbourhood.

When I was a child, we'd leave a dish of water out overnight to see if Jack Frost had been . I guess that was my first science experiment.

Jack Frost doesnt visit me here.

Kit
11 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Your lives are so different to that in my climate. 20inches of snow is half a meter..wow. So where do you shovel it ?

I hope Mr Fuzzy's phone call has immediate success...or that Santa brings him a snow plow next xmas. He could make a mint just clearing the neighbourhood.

When I was a child, we'd leave a dish of water out overnight to see if Jack Frost had been . I guess that was my first science experiment.

Jack Frost doesnt visit me here.

The snow piles on either side of the drive are about mid thigh on me.  We supposedly get weather like this about once every 50 years or so, so no real reason to be prepared or to allocate it in city and county budgets.

Usually when our temps drop below freezing, the skies are clear.  Its usually a direct correlation.  Clear skies in winter, cold temps.  Cloudy skies in winter, warmer temps.  The heavier the clouds, usually the higher the temps.  I've always wondered if it is a direct cause that heavy cloud cover keeps our winters usually mild.

adiantum

I have a 30yr old Queen palm outside  the front door & the sun has really knocked it around this year.

I'm hoping I'll be able to take it with me when I leave here.

I should mow my lawn today but my energy level is out of order.

We all need to feel the change of seasons. Spring & Autumn are comfortable as well as beautiful.

7 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

I freak over my plants when we get snow here. Yep, it did happen in 08. Last year we had a hard freeze that killed two of my queen palms. This year we had a chill in the air for a few days. The neighbor is making a racket this morning mowing grass and making me feel bad because mine needs it and I'm not really in the mood. Spring is coming guys just hang in there.

Kit

Just got back in from another 2.5 hours of shoveling.  I am going to ache tomorrow.

20190213_142725.thumb.jpg.746a8884507bf6362b6d50933985b635.jpg

Neighbor's attempt at a sacrifice.  Build a snowman and it guarantees it will melt as fast as possible.  :)

20190213_193412.thumb.jpg.1d84123112c552b775eb135a62a86bbd.jpg

I did manage to get out briefly earlier but I got stuck and needed help getting out.  So I cleared a significant area of the road so I would have enough room to make sure I get into the ruts.

And that pool of light you see in the distance?

20190213_193150.thumb.jpg.541285dd53e5dae00e13954a79dcd346.jpg

I cleared that as well.  Not the best of jobs, but it was dark, getting late, and I was tired.  I knew it had to be done.  People were getting stuck there and needing to be pushed out all day.

Of course its all going to freeze and turn slick as snot by morning.  but it means I may be able to get out in the morning.  If that happens, the probability that one of us is going to murder the other is going to drop.  :)

Hammer

There are times when it starts snowing, then it changes to freezing rain.  That makes my driveway a solid sheet of ice.  To deal with that, I keep several large bags of rock salt in the basement.  Once the freezing rain has stopped, I'll go out and spread the salt on the driveway....problem solved!  For those of you who have never used rock salt, once you throw it down, your car will get instant traction on the ice, and of course, the salt will melt the ice.

They do make a substitute for salt, which also works well, and it's supposed to be safer for the environment, but I tried it once and I'll never use it again.  It's basically a type of fertilizer that melts ice, and unlike salt, doesn't harm your lawn, but the problem with it is that, well, it smells like fertilizer.  Once you spread it on your driveway and sidewalks, it gets on your shoes and you track that fertilizer smell into your house....it's not a pleasant odor to track onto your carpets.

On those days when it's below a certain temperature, typically below 20°F (-7°C), salt won't work.  If that happens and the ice on my driveway won't melt, I keep bags of sand in my basement to spread on the driveway, and that gives my car traction.  The problem with using sand is that it doesn't go away when the ice melts, so it stays there until the weather gets warmer and you can wash it away with a hose....or a heavy rain washes it away.

The ideal thing, if you can afford it and afford to run it, is to have heating coils put in your driveway.  Heating coils can be either electric, or liquid filled with anti-freeze that a pump in your house circulates, and all you have to do is to check and see if it's snowing, and if it is, you just flip a switch and forget about it.  Your driveway will be completely free of snow and ice.  There are several houses up the street from me that have that installed, and it always amazes me that, after a big snowfall (even a blizzard), when I get my driveway clear and drive into town past his house, not only is there no snow on his driveway, it's completely dry.  My question has always been, maybe his driveway is clear and dry, but how much is his electric bill?

Years ago when I had my driveway resurfaced, I asked the company how much it would cost to install electric heating coils, and he said that, to do that, they'd have to resurface the driveway, then lay the coils on top of the resurfaced driveway, then place another layer of asphalt on top of the layer they just put down.  He said, then you'd have to have an electrician wire it all up.  He told me that, they had installed heating coils in several driveways, but after a few years, the heat from the coils caused the driveways to begin to crack apart for some reason.  They couldn't understand why that happened because the heat generated by the coils was just a few degrees above freezing, and that little bit of temperature increase on the asphalt, shouldn't have caused the asphalt to crack.  I opted to not have the coils put in, and instead, got a snowblower for my garden tractor.☺️ (that was my first tractor...a 2 cylinder, 18 horse power machine.  Years later, I wanted something bigger that also had 4 wheel drive, so I traded that first tractor in on the one I have now, although I didn't need some of the frills that came standard on this tractor....power steering, cruise control, a cup holder...)

Edited by Hammer