Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

A MAN who towed his 17ft boat along the Pacific Highway with a mobility scooter has escaped jail time, receiving a $1100 fine and a six-month licence disqualification.

r64_0_925_483_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg.8bf0d7c006aa161fe13e756ad5ff41be.jpghttps://www.theherald.com.au/story/5929070/simply-daft-man-who-towed-boat-with-mobility-scooter-escapes-jail/?cs=7574#slide=3

adiantum

I'm not sure if my dog gets travel sickness in the car or if he's just uneasy. He lays across the seat never looking out until  we stop.

He is better when in the front in that he at least looks at me.

He's secured to the seat belt in either front or back seat.

When we get to our destination he heads straight for the closest clump of grass & starts eating.

Ive seen some cars with those anti static straps that earth the car to the road & wonder if they'd work for him.

I'd look for one online if I knew what theyre called.

Edited by adiantum

adiantum

:rofl:   Its called an .... anti static strap !!

I thought I'd never find  it but that was the first thing I put in the ebay search.

who'da thought it 

Hammer
12 hours ago, adiantum said:

:rofl:   Its called an .... anti static strap !!

I thought I'd never find  it but that was the first thing I put in the ebay search.

who'da thought it 

Lee, one of the main reasons for those anti-static straps is so that, when you fill up your car with gasoline, the nozzle on the gasoline pump's hose is grounded, so if slide out of your car to fill up your tank, that can create static electricity.  When you touch the nozzle to the car's fill tube, it can create a spark....something that you don't want that close to your gas tank.

The same thing applies to people who have CB radios or ham radios mounted in their cars.  You don't want to be filling your tank when someone in your car is talking on the radio, as that can create a spark also.

One time, I was on my way home from work in my pickup truck, and I had my 2-meter ham radio turned on when I stopped for gas.  I was listening to a conversation between two other hams, when I inserted the nozzle into my gas tank, and the two hams that were chatting stopped, and I began receiving calls from the fire department, which was strange because ham radios don't pick up those frequencies.  At first I was confused as to how that could happen, then I noticed a fire station just up the street.  Apparently, by inserting the nozzle into my gas tank, that created a direct link to the fire station through the nozzle ground, and my radio's ground to the truck.  As soon as I pulled the nozzle out of the tank, the fire calls ceased, and the two hams conversation was back.  That's when I remembered that I should have turned my ham radio off before I placed the nozzle into my gas tank.

adiantum

Thanks Hammer.

So it wont stop the boy from travel sickness but its a must if I dont want to experience fear each time I put petrol in the tank.

I dont know why he doesnt hang out the windows like other dogs, and enjoy the wind between his teeth.

ran23

Took one of my afternoon walks, 25 minutes, home to 78, never been that low. (120 morning, 110 after morning walk).  fun times

dowling gram

This is a local news story . With so much news of crime, break-ins and damage to stores and property it's nice when the basic honesty of people is confirmed.

CTV Ottawa
Published Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:42PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:53PM EST

Shoppers walked into the downtown Kingston Food Basics store on Family Day, but they weren't supposed to be there. 

The store was closed, but the front doors were accidentally unlocked.

"My first thought was 'Oh no!' " said District Manager Mark Woudwyk. "Customers came in looked around; realized we weren't supposed to be open and exited the building and closed the doors behind them."

Food Basics downtown store February 28, 2019

But some kept shopping inside; picking up milk, tomatoes and everything else. 

The police were called after someone witnessed customers inside without employees. 

Later in the day, a store manager arrived to find everything still in place.

"Nobody took anything out of the store." said Woudwyk, who manages the four Kingston-area stores.

Woudwyk said some customers left money on the counter and notes; informing the manager of what they took. Today the store and police praised customers for doing the right thing.

"It's rare anywhere. We're pretty impressed with our citizens that they'd be so honourable, honest so as to leave a bunch of money for the groceries they were taking." said Ash Gutheinz of Kingston Police.

"Wow, well that's Canada for you. Wouldn't happen anywhere else would it?" said shopper Bernard White; who praised the actions of those shoppers.

"That's so good of people, you always think of the worst and sometimes people surprise you and it's the best of humanity." according to Janice McGaw.

Holly Moyes has lived in Kingston for years and said the actions of customers illustrated how much Canadians value integrity and community.

"They're honest, that's great." said Moyes "Canadian eh!"

adiantum

Watching The Chase  on Friday and one question was  "which island is Hilo located"

Thats when I realised Ive been pronouncing it wrong..

Ive said  hi  & not he

Thats the first time in my life Ive ever been wrong. How lucky I was that I wasnt a contestant

ran23

Do we have a movie/TV thread?    anyway, finished all 5 sessions of Warehouse 13.   I missed a lot of those.   Now Defiance, just to see Jaime Murray again. 

adiantum

Theres not a thread for movies or tv but what a great idea.

Looking forward to you starting such a thread ran.

4 hours ago, ran23 said:

Do we have a movie/TV thread?    anyway, finished all 5 sessions of Warehouse 13.   I missed a lot of those.   Now Defiance, just to see Jaime Murray again. 

adiantum

With  memory of  those women  who started IWD in 1917

How International Women's Day went from starting a revolution to corporate breakfasts

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-08/international-womens-day-from-revolution-to-breakfast-cupcakes/10879932

"On a winter's morning in Petrograd, women begin streaming onto the streets.

Two million men have died, food is running out, and women have reached breaking point.

By late afternoon, some 100,000 workers walk out of their factories to join them. On their way, women smash windows of stores, raid the shelves for bread and food.

Thousands make a dangerous dash across the frozen river to reach the city centre — police are firing shots at those using the bridges.

Another 50,000 odd workers join them the next day, overturning trams and carriages, occupying the river, and hijacking the enormous statue of Alexander III in Znamenskaya Square.

The sight of strikers scaling this icon of autocracy, nicknamed "the hippopotamus", convinces the crowd the revolution has whirred into action.

The riot continues for four days despite the military opening fire: when it's over, police find the word "hippopotamus" engraved on the statue's plinth.

Seven days after International Women's Day of 1917, the tsar is gone, and women win the right to vote........................."

adiantum

What did this dream mean?

Last night I dreamed of our administrator Tony...

He called in unannounced , checked the fridge,freezer & pantry then went out into the garden.

He sat at this table & chairs &  wrote a list of books for me to read.

Next he cut down a bunch of some 100 bananas, dug up baby potatoes & pulled the 10ft mango tree out of the ground.

Packed the harvest into his car & drove off. He never uttered a single word.

Ive no idea where the potatoes & mango tree came from but there is a bunch of bananas just a few weeks away from harvesting.

dec24th 010.JPG

Edited by adiantum

OneEye

“You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!”

― Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

adiantum

I have a very old copy of A Christmas Carol sitting beside me now.

I cant decide if I should throw it out  or pack it up..

Its become  just a decorator item as Ive never read it, mainly because the yellowed pages have aged badly & dont feel nice to touch

adiantum

I dont appreciate a lot of art but for years Ive been saying I'd like to go to Newcastle to see this Brett Whiteley " totem"

Now its to be pulled down & restored. Procrastination isnt always good for a girl.

Image result for Brett Whiteley egg sculpture

OneEye

That sounds like excellent yard sale material.

As an aside here; I played Scrooge in a high school play. Once for the students during school and then again that night for the parents and friends. I can't for the life of me believe I memorized that whole thing. I was okay until the curtains opened up...then it kinda went south from there. Dunno why...but I turned it into a comedy with my mannerisms, inflections and added dialogue. Drama teacher was pissed. My ol' man thought I was hilarious! :)

adiantum

The few yard sales Ive had mostly  attracted  antique dealers & at least one of them is a thief .

I dont want them on my property ever again so have decided to take stuff with me & sell it from the new region.

It will also give me an opportunity to meet the new neighbours.

OneEye
20 hours ago, adiantum said:

The few yard sales Ive had mostly  attracted  antique dealers & at least one of them is a thief .

I dont want them on my property ever again so have decided to take stuff with me & sell it from the new region.

It will also give me an opportunity to meet the new neighbours.

I'd expect...this move is going to be traumatic for you, in a sense. If you need us to bounce off of...we're here! :)

adiantum

Thank You OneEye........ your kindness has lifted my spirits.

Ive been slipping into dark moods over this move.

Recalling all those Ive helped move in the past & now theyre either dead or too old to return the favour.

51 minutes ago, OneEye said:

I'd expect...this move is going to be traumatic for you, in a sense. If you need us to bounce off of...we're here! :)

OneEye
3 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Ive been slipping into dark moods over this move.

I can relate. The complexity of a move from one place to another weighs on us the older we get. I doubt anyone our age moves out of desire.

As I said...we're here for you!

adiantum

I've been watching news of the Auckland massacre on & off all day & touched by the support from the wider community.

I saw  a Buddhist monk placing a candle .
I saw many family units as they teach their children compassion.
I saw a Maori motorcycle club paying their respect and how appropriate to clearly see  an Indian.

Image result for indian motorcycle movie poster

Edited by adiantum

adiantum

March 20..Autumnal eqinox

"Autumnal equinox, two moments in the year when the Sun is exactly above the Equator and day and night are of equal length; also, either of the two points in the sky where the ecliptic (the Sun’s annual pathway) and the celestial equator intersect. In the Northern Hemisphere the autumnal equinox falls about September 22 or 23, as the Sun crosses the celestial equator going south. In the Southern Hemisphere the equinox occurs on March 20 or 21, when the Sun moves north across the celestial equator. According to the astronomical definition of the seasons, the autumnal equinox also marks the beginning of autumn, which lasts until the winter solstice (December 21 or 22 in the Northern Hemisphere, June 20 or 21 in the Southern Hemisphere)."

https://www.britannica.com/science/autumnal-equinox